Screw club manufacturers!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the first pieces of advice I was given as a teenager when I started playing was basically a 7i goes 150 yards, 6i 160 yards ,8i 140, still to this day I follow this general distance guide so not matter what make,what loft, what angle what new fancy bats you have ,10 yards out is not the end of the world.Remember tour pros are hitting wedges 150ish because of the pure customisation of their gear.

I hit my 7 iron about 160. Does that mean my clubs have been customised a little bit? ;)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the first pieces of advice I was given as a teenager when I started playing was basically a 7i goes 150 yards, 6i 160 yards ,8i 140, still to this day I follow this general distance guide so not matter what make,what loft, what angle what new fancy bats you have ,10 yards out is not the end of the world.Remember tour pros are hitting wedges 150ish because of the pure customisation of their gear.

So nothing to do with the fact they generate significantly more club head speed then?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So nothing to do with the fact they generate significantly more club head speed then?

I believe that most successful modern tour pros spend quite a few hours a week working out in the gym, to be able to hit the ball the distances that they do. If you watch old videos of Shell's Wonderful Workd of Golf, it is quite noticeable how weedy and unfit some of our heroes of yesteryear looked in comparison, Gary Player excepted.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You chose your forum name well!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When I was a lot younger, 150 yards was my 7 iron distance, even with traditional spec clubs. I am now down to about 130 yards, even with the latest jacked loft 7-irons! 150 yards is a reasonable distance for a 7 iron IMHO, but when people can hit the new PW's that distance, it's getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion! How are you supposed to play shorter shots around the green, which was the traditional use of a PW. You now have to buy one or more gap wedges! :rolleyes: