Can we discuss how psycology plays a huge part in golf.............:thup:

Grammar_Police.gif~c200

:D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So you have been playing for 50 years ?

Seem to have a vast amount of experience about all things to do with golf no doubt read lots of articles and magazines and this forum

Yet assumed the lofts were the same ?!

Did you find out after you had them CF or whilst you were trying them ?
Tell me LP, do you get a kick out of being obnoxious, or is something that just comes naturally?

I only started looking at exact club specifications after I found difficulty with hitting the TM 4-iron, which hadn't been an issue with my Ping i15's. Like most people, including the OP in this thread, I sort of assumed that club numbers meant something. Now I know they don't, but I still think that they should! :(

D

Deleted member 15344

Tell me LP, do you get a kick out of being obnoxious, or is something that just comes naturally?

I only started looking at exact club specifications after I found difficulty with hitting the TM 4-iron, which hadn't been an issue with my Ping i15's. Like most people, including the OP in this thread, I sort of assumed that club numbers meant something. Now I know they don't, but I still think that they should! :(

The number does mean something - you are hitting that club number for that make and model.

Where my questions to you not fair ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I'm going to order new Wishon 575 muscle back heads with 4i at 23* then 5i loft of 26* and it goes up by 4* increments to PW at 46* since I'm not a great fan of OEMs and all the marketing gumph that goes with them.

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Perimeter weighting in irons reduces gear effect
Do not use terms you do not understand, it makes you look foolish.
You want me to explain what Gear effect is and why a perimeter weighted club produces less than a blade not a problem

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Perimeter weighting in irons reduces gear effect
Do not use terms you do not understand, it makes you look foolish.
You want me to explain what Gear effect is and why a perimeter weighted club produces less than a blade not a problem

Gear effect is when the club head's centre of gravity is somewhat behind the clubface. If the ball is struck off centre, the head tends to rotate around the C of G and impacts some sidespin that partly conteracts the effect of the off centre hit. Otherwise, for right handed players, shots off the toe will go right and shots off the heel with go left. For clubs like drivers and fairway woods where the C of G is well back in the head, it can be necessary to put a bulge in the face to prevent the gear effect becoming too great, as otherwise shots off the toe will hook, and off the heel slice. My Speed blade irons have a fairly wide flange and an extra piece of metal behind the face with a slot in between. This moves the C of G back a bit and must give some gear effect!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If anybody wants to know the theory behind all this, the Tom Wishon website is quite a good read. Also 'The Search for the Perfect Swing' by Cochran and Stobbs is a pretty unbiased scientific study of golf.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
If anybody wants to know the theory behind all this, the Tom Wishon website is quite a good read. Also 'The Search for the Perfect Swing' by Cochran and Stobbs is a pretty unbiased scientific study of golf.

To be honest no. All I want are some clubs which make the game easier and therefore more enjoyable for me. I don't care if it says 7, 6, 5 or 'I heart Nigel Farage' on the bottom of one and 'The Daily Mail is a great read' on the bottom of another, as long as it goes a certain distance and hides some of the many inadequacies in my swing.

D

Deleted member 1147

Who cares about the theory, all that matters to me is that I can hit my 8 iron further than you can hit your 5 iron.
It makes me feel like a pro :thup:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Question for you guys, lets make it multiple choice:

When I compare the distance and dispersion of my 7iron last Sunday to how I hit it yesterday I have lost a good number of yards and the accuracy has gone to pot, who conned me!

1. Manufacture
  2. Retailer
  3. Club Pro
  4. A forum member
  5. No one it was windy
  6. You call that wind?
  7. Ok it wasn't really windy
  8. GM
  9. Weren't you supposed to be working yesterday?
  10. Clay Long

I need to know who to direct my rant at?

D

Deleted member 1147

When I compare the distance and dispersion of my 7iron last Sunday to how I hit it yesterday I have lost a good number of yards and the accuracy has gone to pot, who conned me!

1. Manufacture - yes, they lied about off centre strikes
  2. Retailer - yes, they lied about the manufacturers claims being accurate
  3. Club Pro - yes, he didn't teach you to avoid off centre strikes
  4. A forum member - yes, probably Delc
  5. No one it was windy - no, you should always blame someone for something
  6. You call that wind? - have you never played on a hill top in the Peak District?
  7. Ok it wasn't really windy - good, honesty is the 2nd best policy, after blaming someone for something
  8. GM - they advertise these clubs which lie to us
  9. Weren't you supposed to be working yesterday? - no one should be working, I'd outlaw it
  10. Clay Long - no, he never did any wrong - he is the most honest man in golf

Answers noted above!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just love it when someone adds some percentages and stats into their discussion to make it all so much believable ... and yet its still made up nonsense.

From Tom Wishon's website (a well respected US clubmaker):

More recently, research into shot performance has shown that the distance between the different irons in a set comes 80-85% from the loft angle change from club to club, and 15-20% from the length change from club to club through the set. As such, length change within a set of irons is much less important for a distance difference between irons than are the differences in the loft angles through the set. This opens the door for a single length set to be a viable alternative to the conventional incremental length set.

US Amateur Champion Bryson deChambeau actually uses a set of single length irons BTW!

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

1. Manufacture
  2. Retailer
  3. Club Pro
  4. A forum member
  5. No one it was windy
  6. You call that wind?
  7. Ok it wasn't really windy
  8. GM
  9. Weren't you supposed to be working yesterday?
  10. Clay Long

I would personally blame the nut holding the club! :)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Delc, Wishon is often quoted by you and yet he's talking about the distance difference within a set of irons .... is this actually the same discussion?

If this was true for ALL irons then why would anybody need to change irons? All irons with the same length and loft would go the same distance!

Anyway let's be honest about your purchases, you bought your irons because they were cheap, you bought an R1 because it was a bargain at the time (and you told everyone it was awesome long and straight) you now have a cobra that wasn't much different in length but somehow is straighter?!? Do you think maybe the clubs are all fine and you just want to change, or your swing is deteriorating ?