Scottish Borders suggestions

simwood2

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced course for four golfers in the borders to play on our way up to east Lothian in April. We're driving up from Yorkshire so we'll be coming up the A1 and/or cutting across towards Selkirk so lots of scope for courses. Last year on the way up we played Hawick and really enjoyed it and that sort of area or slightly further north would be good leaving us about 1.30 hours to drive up to gullane after wards. Whilst we are in east Lothian we are playing gullane 2, the glen and on the last day playing Bruntsfield links. Now being true Yorkshiremen, on the way up we'd like to find a gem that doesn't cost the earth :D.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In your shoes I'd stop off in Goswick or even push onto Dunbar.

You know Bruntsfield Links isn't in East Lothian and it isn't a links course?? Don't forget your jacket and tie when you go there.

Have a great trip.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In your shoes I'd stop off in Goswick or even push onto Dunbar.

You know Bruntsfield Links isn't in East Lothian and it isn't a links course?? Don't forget your jacket and tie when you go there.

Have a great trip.

Dunbar or North Berwick and drive straight trough the borders;)

simwood2

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions did Goswick 2 years ago - fantastic course and would go back in a flash but the guys want to try somewhere different. We looked at north Berwick but they were talking silly money this year as its being set up for a big competition? Yep we are aware about Bruntsfield but it came highly recommended - hope it's not too stuffy though. Will have a look at Hirsel. We don't want to drive straight up to east Lothian then play and the borders seems about the right distance before and after the round..

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Near Hawick you have Minto, my home course and a great track. Or the woll at Ashfield is also a good choice. The Roxburghe is also meant to be good but haven't played it. The hirsel is also a good choice.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks garush we were looking at wolf and torwoodlee do you know what that's like.

Depends what time of year you are going for torwoodlee as it can get a bit wet. But April should be alrite. I've only played it once but it is a decent enough track. It's split over a couple of sections, the clue is in the name as there a quite a few trees around the fairways.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Eyemouth? A very friendly club and great clubhouse. Very good value too.

The 6th, a par 3 is one of the best holes you will find anywhere.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Near Hawick you have Minto, my home course and a great track.

Blimey, that's changed a bit!!
I remember playing their years ago, before that clubhouse was built. Must have been around 1987 and I'd just really started playing the game.
My then brother in law lived in Hawick and suggested taking my clubs up with me when we visited them for a week.
It was a horrible, Autumn morning. Grey and damp. Put our money in an envelope and posted it in an "honesty box". We only saw one other geezer on the course.

simwood2

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions and offer to sign on. There's certainly plenty of choices. Will let you all know which we decide on. For me Hirsel looks pretty good for driving time wise and seems a good price at £25.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions and offer to sign on. There's certainly plenty of choices. Will let you all know which we decide on. For me Hirsel looks pretty good for driving time wise and seems a good price at £25.

Good price that for the Hirsel. I really liked it when I played it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blimey, that's changed a bit!!
I remember playing their years ago, before that clubhouse was built. Must have been around 1987 and I'd just really started playing the game.
My then brother in law lived in Hawick and suggested taking my clubs up with me when we visited them for a week.
It was a horrible, Autumn morning. Grey and damp. Put our money in an envelope and posted it in an "honesty box". We only saw one other geezer on the course.

Yeah it's a nice course, the honest box was way before my time but I believe the course may not have changed much. And there can still be times when I'm out and only see one other person out on the course.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
If you were thinking West Linton, you could consider Peebles just down the road... the town course, not Cardrona, as for some reason people think they are the same. They're not.

I found Roxburghe to be a bit of a slog, some really nice holes though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played The Roxburghe and enjoyed it, though only a few of holes stay in the memory. The viaduct is, of course, one of them!

West Linton would be another good choice imo. Quite close to Edinburgh though (well I always thought I was nearly there as I passed it), so timing might be a consideration.