Sunday Driver: Opinions Please!!

andy211299

Visit site
Morning!

I’m looking to book a Sunday driver/2 round break as part of my dad’s 60th birthday; we did Carden Park last year with a larger group and he really enjoyed it.

For reference, the 4 of us play off 9, 13, 20 and 30.

I’ve come up with a short list of:

1. Celtic Manor (playing Roman Road and Monty)
2. Slaley Hall
3. Forest Pines
4. Forest of Arden

Any comments on the above or suggestions for alternatives?

We’re based in the North West and will travel 3 hours, which would take us right to the east coast, as far north as the Scottish Borders or down to South Wales/Oxford.

We’d avoid 2010 at CM as don’t all play to a high enough level, but for me this defeats the purpose of going there… Avoiding Belfry for the same reason (24hcp limit on the Brab and PGA).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bunch of us on here have done several 2 dayers at Forest Pines.
3 loops of 9, all reasonable..a challenge but not too difficult
FoA Arden course is nice but not sure about the 2nd one.
Only played the Monty at CM and it was OK, Roman Rd is, I believe, better
No experience of Slaley....(y)
Woodhall Spa could be a good shout.....

D

Deleted member 1147

The 2nd course at FoA is absolute 💩

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slaley is a good shout, assuming you are going when the weather is better as it does not drain well.

Probably still within the distance restriction, look at Ramside Hall in Co. Durham. Nice set up.

A pricier option, if you are prepared to go to Slaley in terms of distance then look at Close House. Really nice but it costs a bit more. If you are happy with the price, then take their hand off.

Any of the above will be good options though, and imo better than Forest Pines.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
When are you going? Depends if you want hotel on site or don't mind a short drive...

Avoiding hotel courses, then playing places that the lower hcp will enjoy and the higher ones will also not get beaten up by.... left field suggestion:

Get yourself a hotel near Oxford and play some variation of Burford, Tadmarton Heath and Frilford Heath. Depending on your budget!

All of these have miles more character and will be better conditioned than those you list.

Also, South Wales is better once you drive past Celtic Manor! Loads of courses to chose from. Welsh tourist board need shooting!!

andy211299

Visit site

Hi Imurg, thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.

From what I read about Woodhall Spa I believe the Hotchkin has 24hcp limit also; but I’ll have another look

Thanks again!

andy211299

Visit site
Slaley is a good shout, assuming you are going when the weather is better as it does not drain well.

Probably still within the distance restriction, look at Ramside Hall in Co. Durham. Nice set up.

A pricier option, if you are prepared to go to Slaley in terms of distance then look at Close House. Really nice but it costs a bit more. If you are happy with the price, then take their hand off.

Any of the above will be good options though, and imo better than Forest Pines.

Hi mate thanks for the info.

We’re looking at June, had read similar about Slaley.

Will take a look at Ramside Hall and Close House, haven’t heard of those before.

Cheers!

andy211299

Visit site
When are you going? Depends if you want hotel on site or don't mind a short drive...

Avoiding hotel courses, then playing places that the lower hcp will enjoy and the higher ones will also not get beaten up by.... left field suggestion:

Get yourself a hotel near Oxford and play some variation of Burford, Tadmarton Heath and Frilford Heath. Depending on your budget!

All of these have miles more character and will be better conditioned than those you list.

Also, South Wales is better once you drive past Celtic Manor! Loads of courses to chose from. Welsh tourist board need shooting!!

Hi Ian, We’re looking at June

Appreciate the Oxford based suggestions, will definitely be worth costing up vs the resorts as like you say, will probably provide more rewarding golfing

Thanks!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As an alternative, I’d highly recommend The Vale in Worcestershire, near Pershore.

4 of us played in October last year. Nice course, challenging but not crazy difficult. We all play off around 14-18. They have lodges around the lake, nice sitting out there after a round having a beer. Nice food, decent pro shop and a driving range 50 yards from the first tee.

2 rounds and accommodation (stopped Saturday night) was something like £120-130 each, booked direct. Seemed like an absolute bargain in comparison to what we were offered by golfbreaks/ygt.

We had lovely weather at the time, a continuation of the hot summer. Course was in great condition, but I don’t know what it would be like in wet months.

https://www.thevalegolf.co.uk/

Swango1980

Visit site
Would Woodhall do a Sunday Driver? I wouldn't have thought their business model would be as easily geared to casual visiting players, like other clubs are set up for?

Swango1980

Visit site
Morning!

I’m looking to book a Sunday driver/2 round break as part of my dad’s 60th birthday; we did Carden Park last year with a larger group and he really enjoyed it.

For reference, the 4 of us play off 9, 13, 20 and 30.

I’ve come up with a short list of:

1. Celtic Manor (playing Roman Road and Monty)
2. Slaley Hall
3. Forest Pines
4. Forest of Arden

Any comments on the above or suggestions for alternatives?

We’re based in the North West and will travel 3 hours, which would take us right to the east coast, as far north as the Scottish Borders or down to South Wales/Oxford.

We’d avoid 2010 at CM as don’t all play to a high enough level, but for me this defeats the purpose of going there… Avoiding Belfry for the same reason (24hcp limit on the Brab and PGA).

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!
I've played Forest Pines a number of times, including a 2 rounds, dinner bed and breakfast job. It is decent enough, although the bar is expensive. I really enjoyed The Oxfordshire, although might be just outside your travel range (Michael Parkinson was President for a number of years, and at Breakfast ex Footballer Iain Dowie was their all suited up, as he is a salesman now, or was a few years ago)

What about The Belfry? I've done that before, and really enjoyed it.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Rockliffe, slayley, close house and ramside spring to mind here in the northeast. From your list I’ve played Forrest pines and would pick Slayley over it any day

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have only played Carden Park and Forest of Arden. Carden Park the more even 36 holes of the two, but didnt think it was anything special (nice hotel !). FoA second course is totally forgettable and overall inferior to Carden.
Dalmahoy is a high quality pair of courses I thought ?

sunshine

Visit site
I played 2010 at Celtic Manor with a 30 handicapper and it was fine off the yellow tees. No point going there to play the other courses, they are average and only worth playing as a warm up for 2010.

Slightly cheaper option is the Vale just outside Cardiff. Two resort courses but decent value. After someone name dropped Ian Dowie, I have to mention that we met Howard Wilkinson there, he was running a coaching course there and we spent an evening in the bar with what seemed like every retired Welsh footballer from the 90s, Saunders, Rush, Speed etc.

Slaley you need to think about the weather and drainage. Summer only lasts 2 weeks in the north east.

Forest of Arden only has one golf course and one field with flags in it.

For a 60th birthday I’d suggest playing a great course he will remember. Stay in the north west and play one of the Open rota courses. Birkdale and Hoylake are playable for higher handicap players.

D

Deleted member 17920

Would Woodhall do a Sunday Driver? I wouldn't have thought their business model would be as easily geared to casual visiting players, like other clubs are set up for?
Simple answer, No they don't do a Sunday driver, you would need to book the golf and hotel separate and just pay the green fee for each day, Bracken weekend then Monday Hotchkin would be the less expensive option if it was about budget.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
For a 60th birthday I’d suggest playing a great course he will remember. Stay in the north west and play one of the Open rota courses. Birkdale and Hoylake are playable for higher handicap players.

Hard to disagree with this. 60th birthday, save up, play Birkdale and or Hillside/ S&A. Unless you play it regularly anyway!

andy211299

Visit site
As an alternative, I’d highly recommend The Vale in Worcestershire, near Pershore.

4 of us played in October last year. Nice course, challenging but not crazy difficult. We all play off around 14-18. They have lodges around the lake, nice sitting out there after a round having a beer. Nice food, decent pro shop and a driving range 50 yards from the first tee.

2 rounds and accommodation (stopped Saturday night) was something like £120-130 each, booked direct. Seemed like an absolute bargain in comparison to what we were offered by golfbreaks/ygt.

We had lovely weather at the time, a continuation of the hot summer. Course was in great condition, but I don’t know what it would be like in wet months.

https://www.thevalegolf.co.uk/

Hi mate I’ve had a look at The Vale and like the idea of the lodges especially for that money. Their website says they require proof of handicap (which only 2 of us have). From your experience, was this asked for??
Cheers

andy211299

Visit site
Have only played Carden Park and Forest of Arden. Carden Park the more even 36 holes of the two, but didnt think it was anything special (nice hotel !). FoA second course is totally forgettable and overall inferior to Carden.
Dalmahoy is a high quality pair of courses I thought ?

Agree RE Carden Park, we had a good time despite it being a squelchy March weekend… The timing meant we only got to play the Cheshire course twice as Nicklaus was closed, so that might be enough to warrant a return at some point

Dalmahoy looks great but top end of the price range we’re looking at tbh.

Cheers!