Dry(ish) resort course within 2 Hrs Yorkshire

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at possibly having a bit of Sunday driver break at the beginning of April with a couple of mates on a dry-ish as possible hotel resort course within 2 hours drive of Bradford - what are my best options? Not Carden Park as we are going in June.

Thinking Forest Pines, Slaley, Portal, Hill Valley...prefer to drop the bags off, park the car up, stay, play and eat all on site.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at possibly having a bit of Sunday driver break at the beginning of April with a couple of mates on a dry-ish as possible hotel resort course within 2 hours drive of Bradford - what are my best options? Not Carden Park as we are going in June.

Thinking Forest Pines, Slaley, Portal, Hill Valley...prefer to drop the bags off, park the car up, stay, play and eat all on site.
Slaley may be a little soggy still at that time. Great later on but early April may be iffy. If you are looking at Slaley then also check out Close House and Matfen. I'd also suggest looking at Ramside Hall which is Durham way and easy for you to get to.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slaley may be a little soggy still at that time. Great later on but early April may be iffy. If you are looking at Slaley then also check out Close House and Matfen. I'd also suggest looking at Ramside Hall which is Durham way and easy for you to get to.

Wasn't keen on Ramside when we played, didn't like the new course. Close House is a good call.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 days @ Forest Pines will bore you to tears.

Good setup off the course though, and pretty dry.

Hill Valley or Wychwood Park?

We enjoyed Forest Pines when we went a couple of years ago, although there was 20 of us. Bored because of the hotel or the course?

I like Hill Valley been with the wife a couple of times but not played the course. Wychwood is just 1 18 isn't it?

D

Deleted member 16999

If you’re not set on a resort type and happy to book a b+b close by(walking distance), have a look at Seaton Carew GC, plenty of b+b’s close by and really good course and decent clubhouse with friendly members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't keen on Ramside when we played, didn't like the new course. Close House is a good call.
I agree with you about the second course but some are okay with it and the set up is nice, location good for you so I thought I would raise it. I'd be all over Close House in April if you are looking north of your location. The other suggestions from people may be better again, I just don't know them. Nice problem, isn't it?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with you about the second course but some are okay with it and the set up is nice, location good for you so I thought I would raise it. I'd be all over Close House in April if you are looking north of your location. The other suggestions from people may be better again, I just don't know them. Nice problem, isn't it?

Its definitely a good problem to have. To be honest we'd just want a round of golf, on a dry-ish course and then beers and food, breakfast in the morning, golf and home.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its definitely a good problem to have. To be honest we'd just want a round of golf, on a dry-ish course and then beers and food, breakfast in the morning, golf and home.
You won’t find a drier course than Seaton Carew or maybe Cleveland (Redcar) GC’s, both have a really good social side to them, and you’d be made to feel very welcome.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
I would highly recommend Cave castle. only the one course but in very good nick, I stayed there with a group, of golfers this April just gone and had no complaints about the course at all, no temp greens or tees and drinks are reasonably priced and food is excellent.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, if you're not set on a resort course, think about a good class links such as Seacroft at Skegness. There is a cheap hotel within walking distance if you don't mind being transported back into the 1950s.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We enjoyed Forest Pines when we went a couple of years ago, although there was 20 of us. Bored because of the hotel or the course?

I like Hill Valley been with the wife a couple of times but not played the course. Wychwood is just 1 18 isn't it?
Course. One of the most boring 2 days golf I've ever suffered.

Whychwood only 1 x 18. But plenty of variety to keep you entertained.

Is quite long though