Sunday Driver: Opinions Please!!

andy211299

Visit site
I played 2010 at Celtic Manor with a 30 handicapper and it was fine off the yellow tees. No point going there to play the other courses, they are average and only worth playing as a warm up for 2010.

Slightly cheaper option is the Vale just outside Cardiff. Two resort courses but decent value. After someone name dropped Ian Dowie, I have to mention that we met Howard Wilkinson there, he was running a coaching course there and we spent an evening in the bar with what seemed like every retired Welsh footballer from the 90s, Saunders, Rush, Speed etc.

Slaley you need to think about the weather and drainage. Summer only lasts 2 weeks in the north east.

Forest of Arden only has one golf course and one field with flags in it.

For a 60th birthday I’d suggest playing a great course he will remember. Stay in the north west and play one of the Open rota courses. Birkdale and Hoylake are playable for higher handicap players.

I agree RE CM, unfortunately the 30 handicapper doesn’t want to commit to the 2010 so I (off 9) don’t want to waste a trip to Celtic Manor

We’re from Southport so have played Birkdale, S&A, Hillside etc but you make a good point 👍🏻

Thank you

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi mate I’ve had a look at The Vale and like the idea of the lodges especially for that money. Their website says they require proof of handicap (which only 2 of us have). From your experience, was this asked for??
Cheers

Hi mate, no they didn’t ask us and 1 of us doesn’t have a handicap either. Never noticed that on the website! Worth checking I guess, but like I say, they didn’t ask.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This.... https://www.clevelandgolfclub.co.uk/Page/Custom?pageId=9497 at £109 has to be the best value Sunday Driver in the World. Playing Yorkshire's only true links (it's quality too) and an opportunity to sample the delights of a Sunday night in Redcar & Teesides legendary Chicken Parmo ( I couldn't finish a half-Parmo)
And all at the more friendly end of Yorkshire :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... don't hesitate, matey.

Albo

Visit site
I would imagine it’s just outside your travelling time but St Andrews would be great for a 60th, you don’t have to play TOC there are plenty of other options there if you didn’t want to / couldn’t get a tee time