Scorecard responsibility

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Kinda :p just hand card to scorers desk and head to bar. Then at some point the comp organiser will get on the mic and tell us what I already knew, nae prize for you! Order another drink and bore ppl with how unlucky I was to find bad lie on X hole and bemoan how anyone manged XX points in that wind!

Just another day really ;)
It's that while you "man" is cleaning the shoes and clubs and waiting to bring the car round

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A score incorrectly inputted is the same as a score incorrectly written down. Why treat it any differently? Once the button is pressed it is like putting the card in the box, game over.

In the instance given:

Hey Sid, I feel he is a Sid, how many holes in one did you get yesterday?
Erm, none
Okay, thanks Sid, I'm afraid you are dq'd for giving an incorrect score
It can also be sorted out during verification with a playing partner

It doesn’t take much to realise something have gone wrong when your Stableford score is showing over 60 plus when you have inputted it wrong

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed, and look how well that’s going……(GP scores being the biggest gripe re WHS in my opinion)

No facility for attester score on EG App, only player.
I suppose the thing with WHS is that, for those that play often and submit scores, it reflects form over ability.

For example, in the height of the summer, I reckon I could play over 10 times in a month (every weekend, and a reasonable number of weekdays). So, in around 2 months I could have completely refreshed my counting record (last 20 scores). I can also have a period of 2 months or more of really poor golf, so at the end of that period my handicap could have jumped up a fair bit. Just looking at 2024, early in year I was off 10.4, period of good form, get it down to 7.8. But now I've started playing poorly again, I'm 9.5 (actually gone from 7.8 to 9.5 in 6 rounds, and next round I lose another Top 8 score).

Whereas, if you have people that only ever submit competition scores, and only play 2 or 3 comps a month (or less), then their 20 scores are more likely to capture periods of good and bad form (plus not go up quickly enough anyway if they are genuinely getting worse over the longer term).

So, does WHS favour those who submit more scores, as they are rewarded more when they hit their good spells? Does it favour inconsistent golfers, as the bad scores may be frequent, drop into the worst of their top 8?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not in my golfing lifetime
How much longer do you intend playing? No one knows what might happen next year, in 5 years etc. We did without cards during covid, no reason that could not be revisited. As we discovered during that period, lots of things that were 'impossible' suddenly became 'possible'

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
How much longer do you intend playing? No one knows what might happen next year, in 5 years etc. We did without cards during covid, no reason that could not be revisited. As we discovered during that period, lots of things that were 'impossible' suddenly became 'possible'

It was pretty much there during Covid - clubs allowed scores to be submitted just on the app

Some asked for a photo etc

Imo clubs will be given the ability to remove cards soon

And certainly will help the drive towards a more greener sport which is a key driver for many clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did we (geniune question). Can't remember what we did but wasn't it social golf only anyway so no need to have a card and didn't one person simply fill it all in?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did we (geniune question). Can't remember what we did but wasn't it social golf only anyway so no need to have a card and didn't one person simply fill it all in?
My club ran comps. Don't remember if they were classed as Q but that didn't matter. One person marked a card for the group, inputted it into the screen. I remember the spray and roll of kitchen wipes next to the screen, to be done after each person used the screen. Cards were immediately put in the recycling bin, not signed or kept. Some clubs, as @Arthur Wedge mentions, asked for a photo of the card to be uploaded, but mine did not. It worked pretty well.

wjemather

Visit site
It was pretty much there during Covid - clubs allowed scores to be submitted just on the app

Some asked for a photo etc

Imo clubs will be given the ability to remove cards soon

And certainly will help the drive towards a more greener sport which is a key driver for many clubs
They already have that ability on apps that have 'marker attestation required' functionality (IG, HDID, and possibly GG and others); with that facility enabled, they function as electronic scorecards.

Any decision to do abandon physical scorecards will be driven by demand from members, and there's no sign of that happening any time soon.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club ran comps. Don't remember if they were classed as Q but that didn't matter. One person marked a card for the group, inputted it into the screen. I remember the spray and roll of kitchen wipes next to the screen, to be done after each person used the screen. Cards were immediately put in the recycling bin, not signed or kept. Some clubs, as @Arthur Wedge mentions, asked for a photo of the card to be uploaded, but mine did not. It worked pretty well.
Can't remember running comps and when we first came back it was 9 holes only in booked times. Think we may have then progressed to comps once restrictions were lifted but as you say scores on one card, put in once and card thrown away and screen vigorously cleaned

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A score incorrectly inputted is the same as a score incorrectly written down. Why treat it any differently? Once the button is pressed it is like putting the card in the box, game over.

In the instance given:

Hey Sid, I feel he is a Sid, how many holes in one did you get yesterday?
Erm, none
Okay, thanks Sid, I'm afraid you are dq'd for giving an incorrect score
Sometimes it is about knowing the Rules of Golf

"a player cannot be required to put their score on to a computer"

therefore if they get it wrong when doing so they cannot be DQed for a wrong score.