Signing in to a comp

Swango1980

Visit site
Just to give you a bit of an update on this one.

The commitee met yesterday and have decided to null and void the comp but all round still count for handicap purposes. The named trophy will be schedule for June.

They have now implemented new rules that payment and sign in must be made before commencement of the round. Failure to do so will be a DQ
Your Committee are flapping all over the place here. Cancelling a competition because of their own inadequacies in implementing a suitable sign in procedure. Bizarre.

Also, one for someone to clarify, but can a player be officially DQed under the Rules of Golf for not strictly following a club's sign in procedure. Surely it is not a DQ issue, but simply a factual point that the player in non-existent in that competition? So, if they happened to appear in the Score Entry, they'd simply be removed, not DQed?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your Committee are flapping all over the place here. Cancelling a competition because of their own inadequacies in implementing a suitable sign in procedure. Bizarre.

Also, one for someone to clarify, but can a player be officially DQed under the Rules of Golf for not strictly following a club's sign in procedure. Surely it is not a DQ issue, but simply a factual point that the player in non-existent in that competition? So, if they happened to appear in the Score Entry, they'd simply be removed, not DQed?
It’s a condition of competition!so not a DQ.
You can be sanctioned for the next comp but can’t be DQ as you havnt broken any rules of golf.

All you have to do is ask “ what rule have I been DQ under”

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a condition of competition!so not a DQ.
You can be sanctioned for the next comp but can’t be DQ as you havnt broken any rules of golf.

All you have to do is ask “ what rule have I been DQ under”
But what real difference does it make? Apart from Handicap purposes but you aren't in the competition anymore. Think this is oneof the pedantic things that golf loves ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
But what real difference does it make? Apart from Handicap purposes but you aren't in the competition anymore. Think this is oneof the pedantic things that golf loves ;)
I guess it is being called pedantic, until it suddenly causes issues. So, if you are a member of a Committee, it is probably recommended that their conditions and so on are consistent with the wording used from the Authorities.

I'd imagine some members at this club would have not been too bothered about their conditions on Signing into a competition, and had someone questioned it might have said "of course so and so had signed in to the competition, they paid didn't they? Stop being so pedantic". Of course, it did become a problem when one such person won a competition, and other members decided that the black and white wording of the club had to be followed.

Besides, there is one potential difference between DQ and not being in the competition at all I suppose. If you're not in the competition, then perhaps you are eligible to get your entry fee back depending on the circumstances. If you are DQed because you broke a Rule of Golf, I don't suppose you have grounds to get your entry fee back.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess it is being called pedantic, until it suddenly causes issues. So, if you are a member of a Committee, it is probably recommended that their conditions and so on are consistent with the wording used from the Authorities.

I'd imagine some members at this club would have not been too bothered about their conditions on Signing into a competition, and had someone questioned it might have said "of course so and so had signed in to the competition, they paid didn't they? Stop being so pedantic". Of course, it did become a problem when one such person won a competition, and other members decided that the black and white wording of the club had to be followed.

Besides, there is one potential difference between DQ and not being in the competition at all I suppose. If you're not in the competition, then perhaps you are eligible to get your entry fee back depending on the circumstances. If you are DQed because you broke a Rule of Golf, I don't suppose you have grounds to get your entry fee back.
Yeah, you can always say that having rules to control things is 'being pedantic'..... though necessary to manage situations like this.
Without knowing further details IMO the result should have been - Remove the player from Comp & refund entry fee as they've not fulfilled entry requirements.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

The commitee met yesterday and have decided to null and void the comp but all round still count for handicap purposes. The named trophy will be schedule for June.

They have now implemented new rules that payment and sign in must be made before commencement of the round. Failure to do so will be a DQ
The new requirements are quite clear and, obviously, what should have been in place previously.
Pedantic, but a DQ would only apply to someone who is the competition. Someone who fails to pay and sign in is not in the comp, they failed to enter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hopefully the Committee will have read this.

5A Setting the Terms of the Competition​

(2) Entry Requirements and Dates​

The way to enter the competition and the starting and ending dates for entry should be specified.
Examples include:
  • Method of entry, such as completing an online entry form, returning an entry form by mail or entering names on a sheet any time before the player’s start time.
  • How and when any entry fee is to be paid.

LizAig

Visit site
We had a similar situation at our club however player said she had signed in but when she went to enter her score it said she hadn’t ….so she signed in after the comp and then did not enter her scores because the computer wouldn’t let her _ Club v1 has a delay of two hours I think between signing in and entering score. She was DQ because our T of Cs clearly state that if you have any issue with signing in or entering a score you must let a member of H&C know straightaway either by face to face, text, email or phone call. The lady didn’t let anyone know and so when the comp was closed she didn’t have a score there! H&C sec text her at 8pm to ask her if there was an issue but got no response till later the next day when the comp was closed. She would have won if she’d signed in. The lady kicked up such a fuss - she wrote a letter to club and then ladies committee decided to reinstate her win! H&C was away on holiday and knew nothing about that!! She kept saying she’d been DQd for a computer error but our T of Cs state you must sign in to the old comp book if there’s a computer error! everyone only backed down when our EG rules rep agreed with original decision and said she wasn’t DQ for comp error - she was DQ for not signing in and wasn’t even in the comp.

I’d be asking club sec or a member of H&C what’s going on (after checking your T of Cs). If there’s a computer error did player make someone aware before they went out, did they sign into book as an alternative! Without knowing facts my initial thought it he should be DQ because they didn’t sign in so didn’t enter comp!

i had added bit about signing into book into or T of Cs and informing H&C before playing as when system was new people kept saying computer was playing up….but it was always just one player, not everyone… and usually a woman who wasn’t computer savvy that had an issue when no one else did … so I’m convinced it was user error

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had similar situation at our club however player said she had signed in but when she went to enter her score it said she hadn’t ….so she signed in after the comp and then did not enter her scores because the computer wouldn’t ker her _ Club v1 has a delay of two hours I think between signing in and entering score. She was DQ because our T of Cs clearly state that if you have any issue with signing in ir entering score you must let a member of H&C know straightaway either by face to face, text, email or phone call. The lady didn’t let anyone know and so when the comp she didn’t have a score there! H&c text her at 8pm to ask her if there was an issue. The lady kicked up such a fuss she write a letter to club and then ladies committee reinstated her win and tried to made her joint winner when H&C wasn’t at club saying it wasn’t her fault there was computer error! However as our T of Cs also state you must sign in in comp book if there’s a computer error she still wasn’t allowed to win….and our EG rules rep agreed with that and said she wasn’t DQ for comp error - she was DQ for not signing in!

I’d be asking club sec or a member of H&C what’s going on (after checking your T of Cs). If there’s a computer error did player make someone aware before they went out, did they sign into book as an alternative! Without knowing facts my initial thought it he should be DQ because they didn’t sign in so didn’t enter comp!

i had added bit about signing into book into or T of Cs and informing H&C before playing as when system was new people kept saying computer was playing up….but it was always just one player, not everyone… and usually a woman who wasn’t computer savvy that had an issue when no one else did … so I’m convinced it was user error
“Your the only one “
where have we heard that before.?

LizAig

Visit site
Oh, like when someone had to make a journey to collect all the cards, enter their scores, chase up those that were difficult to read, check that all cards had been returned etc etc. Have you ever been involved in this area of Club life?
I agree - life is so much easier now I can log into comps software from home. I can easily see who has signed up for comos, who has laid and my favourite thing is I can see what time people signed in at! We used to have some very interesting conversations with members before they realised we could see the times of sign in!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree - life is so much easier now I can log into comps software from home. I can easily see who has signed up for comos, who has laid and my favourite thing is I can see what time people signed in at! We used to have some very interesting conversations with members before they realised we could see the times of sign in!
Oh yes!!..... & the very 'creative' reasons for why it happened & some occasions trying to justify it..... hahah

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find it funny when our handicap secretary tells similar tales. It is a T&C to sign in via PSI and we still get the odd person forgetting and then signing in after the round and even hanging around in the bar for the two hours to then enter the scores without knowing the log in and score entering are traced and wondering why they get the DQ

LizAig

Visit site

That’s a terrible decision! The comp committee really should have contacted your Regional Handicap Advisor who would have made sure they did the correct thing….eg DQ the player who didn’t sign in…..that’s if the process to follow is written in the T of Cs!!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is the comp sec signing people in? Surely players should do this themselves?

We have a strict rule that players are penalised if they don't sign in or are late signing in before the comp.

Viewer

Visit site
That’s a terrible decision! The comp committee really should have contacted your Regional Handicap Advisor who would have made sure they did the correct thing….eg DQ the player who didn’t sign in…..that’s if the process to follow is written in the T of Cs!!

DQ for what?

Swango1980

Visit site
For not signing in as per rules/T of Cs
I'm not sure if this is a wording issue. But, how can a person be disqualified from something they were never officially in? Even if they entered their scores with everyone else, would they simply not be "removed"?

Not sure if that is being pedantic, but given we are on a Rules of Golf forum, then I suppose it is the place to ask. A DQ seems to be more relevant to a competitor within a competition, who has infringed upon a Rule of Golf that is worthy of DQ

LizAig

Visit site
At our club you book your tee time and pay comp fees however long before the comp. On the day of play you sign in on WHS and then play. If you don’t sign in you are disqualified. We call it a DQ - technically you haven’t entered the comp so others may use a different word but it’s wording that everyone at our club understands. It’s all in our T of Cs so everyone is aware.