Signing in to one day matchplay knockout

LizAig

Visit site
EDIT!: I realised after the first couple of responses saying no rule exists so this must have been a rule put in place by the comp committee , very many years ago, that you had to sign in on the day for this particular matchplay knockout. We will review and clarify rule at next meeting.

In our ladies section we do a 9 hole one matchplay knockout which is played on the same afternoon - we are a small section so the most anyone plays is 4 rounds. Previous to Club V1 being introduced at the club we would sign up using as sheet then in the day of the comp sign in to the competition book on the day. We didn’t sign in for knockouts that last over the summer and when I asked why the difference I was told it was because this knockout was a competition played over one day and so we had to sign in. I haven’t played in this comp for four years due to illness so I queried before we started to play if today if we still needed to sign in using the Comps Book and no one knew.
I’ve looked for a rule but can’t find anything specific. ClubV1 doesn’t give the option to sign in. Does anyone know if there is (or was) a rule that says whether we do need to sign in for a one day knockout. I’m wondering if it was just an unwritten rule for that comp - it isn’t on any of the old comp info I found. It’s not in our T of Cs - I wrote them a year or two ago but was something I forgot about until today!

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no Rule of golf that covers your situation, and I don't believe there ever was. It is entirely up to the Committee in charge of the competition to set the entry requirements.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In our ladies section we do a 9 hole one matchplay knockout which is played on the same afternoon - we are a small section so the most anyone plays is 4 rounds. .........
I must be misunderstanding this. Do you really play 36 holes in an afternoon?

Anyway, why would you be signing in to CLubV1 or anything else for that matter when it's a matchplay competition?

salfordlad

Visit site
There is no Rule of golf that covers your situation, and I don't believe there ever was. It is entirely up to the Committee in charge of the competition to set the entry requirements.
And guidance for this is in Committee Procedures 5A in particular, from page 396 of the Official Guide.

LizAig

Visit site
I must be misunderstanding this. Do you really play 36 holes in an afternoon?

Anyway, why would you be signing in to CLubV1 or anything else for that matter when it's a matchplay competition?
Yes - but it’s rarely 36 as you walk in as soon as you win your match so often less ….although if you’re all square after the 9th you have to play in till sudden death!
I meant Club V1, not WHS!! I’ve changed it

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes - but it’s rarely 36 as you walk in as soon as you win your match so often less ….although if you’re all square after the 9th you have to play in till sudden death!
I meant Club V1, not WHS!! I’ve changed it
Why do you sign in to V1 for a match?

LizAig

Visit site
Why do you sign in to V1 for a match?
We don’t!! we used to sign in for this comp in the comps book so would need to continue to do that if we decide to follow original t of Cs …that were mostly word of mouth until a couple of years ago!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt if there is a facility in ClubV1 to sign in for matchplay and don't understand the point of signing into a book either. For match play you have a draw sheet; players turn up for their ties; the successful one's name goes on the next round of the sheet and so on. Signing in for a stroke play comp has to do with not getting away with not putting in a score, I would think, and that's not relevant to match play.

Do you just mean putting your name down for entry into the competition?