Signing in to a comp

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our club you book your tee time and pay comp fees however long before the comp. On the day of play you sign in on WHS and then play. If you don’t sign in you are disqualified. We call it a DQ - technically you haven’t entered the comp so others may use a different word but it’s wording that everyone at our club understands. It’s all in our T of Cs so everyone is aware.
We call it Withdrawn.

I thought you can only be DQ for a breach of a rule of golf!

Not for a condition of the competition.

Anyone clarify this ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe it can be made a Code of Conduct offence under Committee Procedure 5I.
Yes but you need to break a rule of golf to be DQ .
You can be sanctioned under COC but that would be in the next comp as I understand it.

I do remember one of the rules guys a while ago saying “ ask what rule of golf you have been DQ under”
Has this changed or are golfers just accepting it.?

LizAig

Visit site
You can be sanctioned under COC but that would be in the next comp as I understand it.

I do remember one of the rules guys a while ago saying “ ask what rule of golf you have been DQ under”
Has this changed or are golfers just accepting it.?
They accept it at our club!

Steven Rules

Visit site
Not necessarily.

See Rule 1.2b - Code of Conduct

The Committee may set its own standards of player conduct in a Code of Conduct adopted as a Local Rule.

The Code may include penalties for breach of its standards, such as a one-stroke penalty or the general penalty.

The Committee may also disqualify a player for serious misconduct in failing to meet the Code’s standards.

Not necessarily. There is nothing preventing the sanctions being applied in same round. It is up to the Committee to develop a structure for any sanctions. See Committee Procedures 5I, especially sections (3) and (4).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We call it Withdrawn.

I thought you can only be DQ for a breach of a rule of golf!

Not for a condition of the competition.

Anyone clarify this ?
Pre 2020 you could find tis guideline specificly in the rule book.

The closest Rule is Committee procedures 5(5)
Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but there is no penalty under the Rules of Golf if the player fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.