DQ for no photo of card on IG.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recived an email from my club.
It states quite categorically that we will be DQ if no photo of card is uploaded to IG.
Is this allowed?
Under what rule is this allowed .

It even states “ we understand some don’t have a smartphone so it’s your responsibility to find someone to do it for you”
It gives a long list of players responsibility but no rule quote to DQ anyone.
I thought this was a condition of comp not a rule breach.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Recived an email from my club.
It states quite categorically that we will be DQ if no photo of card is uploaded to IG.
Is this allowed?
Under what rule is this allowed .

It even states “ we understand some don’t have a smartphone so it’s your responsibility to find someone to do it for you”
It gives a long list of players responsibility but no rule quote to DQ anyone.
I thought this was a condition of comp not a rule breach.
It is not a breach of the Rules of Golf. You would have to check if there is any mention in Terms of the Competition (if there are any). Or maybe the club has implemented a Code of Conduct under the auspices of Rule 1.2b. But you couldn't be DQ. Extract from Committee Procedures 5A(4):

Requesting Players to Provide Other Information on Scorecards

The Committee may request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee's responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but a player should not be penalized under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

YandaB

Visit site
It is not a breach of the Rules of Golf. You would have to check if there is any mention in Terms of the Competition (if there are any). Or maybe the club has implemented a Code of Conduct under the auspices of Rule 1.2b. But you couldn't be DQ. Extract from Committee Procedures 5A(4):

The Committee may request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee's responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but a player should not be penalized under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.
I was thinking that the uploading of the photo of the scorecard is the returning of the card to the committee in these modern times. That is different, in my opinion, to entering the scores in a computer system (in IG you can do both). The non return of the card is a DQ Under 3.3. I cannot see that the rules specify that the physical card needs to be returned and I can see no definition of Return. Might that be the rationale?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps your club has stopped having the completed cards into a box because of the rising CV numbers again. We operated the same way with previous lockdowns/ restriction times.You have to provide the card after the round even if entered on the app.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I was thinking that the uploading of the photo of the scorecard is the returning of the card to the committee in these modern times.
I made my response under the assumption that the photograph is in addition to the physical scorecard. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

But, frankly, I can't see how submission of a photograph as the sole means of scorecard submission helps anybody - especially the Committee.

clubchamp98 - please clarify - is the photo the sole means of scorecard sibmission or an additional means?

Swango1980

Visit site
I feel sorry for the guys in a group where all players either do not have a smart phone or there are other reasons that mean they will struggle with this (no phone with them, battery dead, don't know how to use it, poor internet connection, etc). I can especially see it being an issue if there are ever any 2 balls playing, who both struggle to send a photo.

I don't mind there being an option to send the scorecard electronically, but I cannot see why the Committee cannot continue to provide an option for players to simply return the physical scorecard? Mind you, if the Committee choose to allow / insist on the photo of the scorecard being sent, it almost seems inevitable to me that some players will send a photo that does not display the entire card. For example, not capturing signatures, or even the first few or last few hole scores. I say inevitable given the amount of idiotic things people do when filling scorecards out in the first place, let alone asking them to then send a reasonable photo of it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

So I can take it from this that our clubs notice that states “anyone not filling out their scorecards in a competition will be disqualified”.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

So DQ would be wrong. But some sort of sanction, at least for 2nd offence, might be appropriate.
A sensible comp committee would also make provision/contingency for scorecard photos, in this case, to be made at the course - e.g. in Pro Shop.
Classic 'good-intentioned but 'daft' committee decision!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I made my response under the assumption that the photograph is in addition to the physical scorecard. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

But, frankly, I can't see how submission of a photograph as the sole means of scorecard submission helps anybody - especially the Committee.

clubchamp98 - please clarify - is the photo the sole means of scorecard sibmission or an additional means?
We don’t have a box for cards anymore.
But ironically we do for 9 hole comp on a Wednesday night.:rolleyes:
We upload score into IG and photograph uploaded. That’s it no physical card.
They are saying cards are not uploaded properly ,out of focus, partially missing etc.
But DQ is out of order imo.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel sorry for the guys in a group where all players either do not have a smart phone or there are other reasons that mean they will struggle with this (no phone with them, battery dead, don't know how to use it, poor internet connection, etc). I can especially see it being an issue if there are ever any 2 balls playing, who both struggle to send a photo.

I don't mind there being an option to send the scorecard electronically, but I cannot see why the Committee cannot continue to provide an option for players to simply return the physical scorecard? Mind you, if the Committee choose to allow / insist on the photo of the scorecard being sent, it almost seems inevitable to me that some players will send a photo that does not display the entire card. For example, not capturing signatures, or even the first few or last few hole scores. I say inevitable given the amount of idiotic things people do when filling scorecards out in the first place, let alone asking them to then send a reasonable photo of it.

We DQd a few players for no scorecard

"I sent in a photo" has sometimes been the response. You should see the state of some of the photos

A photo was part of the IG system for Supplementary Scores and General Play Scores during Covid but we have always required the physical card to be returned in competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the important point is in the definitions

notably the may and or

Scorecard
The document where a player’s score for each hole is entered in stroke play.
The scorecard may be in any paper or electronic form approved by the Committee that allows:
• The player’s score to be entered for each hole,
• The player’s handicap to be entered, if it is a handicap competition, and
• The marker and the player to certify the scores, and the player to certify his or her handicap in a handicap competition, either by physical signature or by a method of electronic certification approved by the Committee.