Scorecard responsibility

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Never had a label at any of the 4 clubs I've been a member at.
Most recent 3 it's write your own and at my first they were written out in advance - mostly because there were often fewer than 20 in the comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've been at more clubs without a pro than with one. Even my current club only installed a printer by the computer this season, no pro still. I've always been used to writing out everything on a card, it's still a novelty now when I get the label printed off 😄 . The idea that it is the clubs responsibility to put my name on the card seems bizarre. I'm a big boy, I can do that. If I don't do that I would not expect the h/c sec to waste their time trying to trace me through the various cards in the box.

Saying all of the above, once you go to a computer input system I don't really see the point of needing a physical card to be handed in so the above becomes irrelevant at that point.
I'm surprised the rules don't have something in there to say the card must make the Player clearly identifiable at least. Leaving the name completely blank for example, and having a squiggle for a signature seems to be less than ideal. Even before WHS, I'd rather they had their name and hole scores on the card and forget their handicap. At least as a Committee member, it would be easier for me to check their handicap when I know their name, rather than find the name based on the handicap.

Just brings me back again to when I was handicap sec, and players submitted scores with the name such as "Dave" or "Dad" as GP rounds or rounds for handicap, and expected me to figure out who it was.

wjemather

Visit site
I've been at more clubs without a pro than with one. Even my current club only installed a printer by the computer this season, no pro still. I've always been used to writing out everything on a card, it's still a novelty now when I get the label printed off 😄 . The idea that it is the clubs responsibility to put my name on the card seems bizarre. I'm a big boy, I can do that. If I don't do that I would not expect the h/c sec to waste their time trying to trace me through the various cards in the box.

Saying all of the above, once you go to a computer input system I don't really see the point of needing a physical card to be handed in so the above becomes irrelevant at that point.
Cross-checking (we regularly find input errors) and certification.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cross-checking (we regularly find input errors) and certification.
The computer asks me who marked my card, who's card I am marking. There is your certification.

The computer asks me if I am happy with the numbers I have input. That's on me after that.

It's another layer that is unnecessary imo. The card used to be enough, treat the computer input the same.

No skin off my nose, I am not the comp sec. If comp secs want to keep cross checking, that is up to them. I'd put the onus on the player and what happens, happens.

wjemather

Visit site
The computer asks me who marked my card, who's card I am marking. There is your certification.

The computer asks me if I am happy with the numbers I have input. That's on me after that.

It's another layer that is unnecessary imo. The card used to be enough, treat the computer input the same.

No skin off my nose, I am not the comp sec. If comp secs want to keep cross checking, that is up to them. I'd put the onus on the player and what happens, happens.
Certification requires an action (usually a signature) to confirm the hole scores are correct - and needs to be completed by both player and marker. Only player certification is practical on a touchscreen.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Certification requires an action (usually a signature) to confirm the hole scores are correct - and needs to be completed by both player and marker. Only player certification is practical on a touchscreen.

It won’t take much to have a signature box that can be signed on a touch screen PSI or an ISV app

It won’t be long before requirement of paper cards is removed

You don’t need one to enter a GP

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We have labels on the card with our playing handicap on. PSI asks for the marker name when I put the score in and then I check PSI and the card match, that there is my signature and a marker signature and I stick it in the box. Not really that big an issue

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It won’t take much to have a signature box that can be signed on a touch screen PSI or an ISV app

It won’t be long before requirement of paper cards is removed

You don’t need one to enter a GP

Our software has this signature box on the app for both player when submitting and marker when attesting (can't believe we're actually 'ahead' of the curve on something) ;)

wjemather

Visit site
Our software has this signature box on the app for both player when submitting and marker when attesting (can't believe we're actually 'ahead' of the curve on something) ;)
Most (if not all) our apps do, however not everyone has a compatible device or if they do, many do not want to carry it round with them or don't even want to register and use an app.

Touchscreens do not have this functionality; likely because they cannot operate as an electronic scorecard and marker certification would be impractical anyway.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Most (if not all) our apps do, however not everyone has a compatible device or if they do, many do not want to carry it round with them or don't even want to register and use an app.

Touchscreens do not have this functionality; likely because they cannot operate as an electronic scorecard and marker certification would be impractical anyway.

Makes sense, we actually don't have any touchscreen/terminal in the clubhouse for player use (staff input comp scores via pc/laptop from the cards) So I guess we're actually still behind the curve :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

If I do a GP card I do it via MyEG app and so put an electronically signature in and it gets pinged to the attester to sign off. Don't need the phone with during the round and usually update from the scorecard being marked (usually for the group in a roll up). Works really well for me

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

PSIs can be used in the same way as an APP if the software behind is there

We also have two iPads that can be used

The technology is there to be used

Many or in fact all prob managed to get sorted during Covid not using scorecards

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just a little. I thought you had a man servant that gets it all filled in and input

Kinda :p just hand card to scorers desk and head to bar. Then at some point the comp organiser will get on the mic and tell us what I already knew, nae prize for you! Order another drink and bore ppl with how unlucky I was to find bad lie on X hole and bemoan how anyone manged XX points in that wind!

Just another day really ;)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That would depend on which ISV the club is using .

Not seen it on IG.

The winning cards generally get checked to make sure they have been input correctly. We have had a few scores of 100 plus stableford points with multiple holes in one. How do you put those right without a card to cross check with.

wjemather

Visit site
PSIs can be used in the same way as an APP if the software behind is there

We also have two iPads that can be used

The technology is there to be used

Many or in fact all prob managed to get sorted during Covid not using scorecards
A scorecard (physical or electronic) does more than just facilitate score entry.

Per the rules guidance issued during Covid restrictions, there are other options available if necessary, e.g. verbal certification.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That would depend on which ISV the club is using .

Not seen it on IG.

The winning cards generally get checked to make sure they have been input correctly. We have had a few scores of 100 plus stableford points with multiple holes in one. How do you put those right without a card to cross check with.
A score incorrectly inputted is the same as a score incorrectly written down. Why treat it any differently? Once the button is pressed it is like putting the card in the box, game over.

In the instance given:

Hey Sid, I feel he is a Sid, how many holes in one did you get yesterday?
Erm, none
Okay, thanks Sid, I'm afraid you are dq'd for giving an incorrect score

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
A scorecard (physical or electronic) does more than just facilitate score entry.

Per the guidance issued during Covid restrictions, there are other options available if necessary, e.g. verbal certification.
And an electronic scorecard can facilitate anything a paper one does

it will be the future at some point - certainly help clubs be more green as well