Rory out of PGA

D

Deleted member 15344

Nor me.

He should have left his body alone, why he thought that he needed to look like a body builder I never know.

He was a long hitter and a class act just the way he was.

Believe since he started that gym regime he won two further majors and the Fed Ex Cup - his gym work is what helps him hit it so far.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Believe since he started that gym regime he won two further majors and the Fed Ex Cup - his gym work is what helps him hit it so far.

I agree. His gym work also isn't that bad. When you look at the weights he lifts. The aren't massive when compared to what other sport stars lift.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
have a little think ,do you really believe that his gym work is making him more injury prone ,his instructor is doing just the opposite ,he isnt wanting Rory or any other athlete he coaches in fitness to be injured in any way .that would be totally counterproductive.
also if you look back through one of last years GM magazines there was a whole 18 pages on Rory and his workouts with his instructor . makes interesting reading .

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was this on an exchange, or with a bookie? Generous odds either way
It was with a bookmaker. Someone on here mentioned it at the beginning of the season and it looked a good bet so I had £20 on. He does have to play in ten events for the bet to stand (six so far).

To me the way he hits the ball suggests that he may have problems down the line. He never seems to hold anything back and it is amazing the amount of control he still manages to get. I get the feeling that maybe he is trying a little too hard and taking 5% off the power would lead to little loss of distance and more accuracy. Would also put less strain on his back.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. His gym work also isn't that bad. When you look at the weights he lifts. The aren't massive when compared to what other sport stars lift.

Maybe some small weights at the beginning not a problem but now his physique has changed beyond recognition.

He will never be the same person, it's an obsession and he should have stayed as he was.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
This, if it aint broke and all that

Exactly.

He was hitting the ball a mile as a scrawny 5ft nothing teenager then someone put it in his head that extra bulk and muscle will help him. Terrible advice and now he is paying the price big time IMO.

What he should have done is carried on playing golf just as he did and he would have gotten stronger and bigger gradually naturally like it's supposed to happen.

To be honest his advisors have a lot to answer for generally. He shouldn't have been switching club manufacturers just for a few extra quid.

There was no need for any of it. Too much too soon.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly.

He was hitting the ball a mile as a scrawny 5ft nothing teenager then someone put it in his head that extra bulk and muscle will help him. Terrible advice and now he is paying the price big time IMO.

What he should have done is carried on playing golf just as he did and he would have gotten stronger and bigger gradually naturally like it's supposed to happen.

To be honest his advisors have a lot to answer for generally. He shouldn't have been switching club manufacturers just for a few extra quid.

There was no need for any of it. Too much too soon.

McIlroy has been going to the gym to tone for over 6 years now - in that period he has won 4 majors , RTD and Fed Ex , he has changed clubs a number of times and still continue to win the tournaments. Every single time people continue to question him yet every time he proves those doubters wrong. This is just a replica of the thread 4/5 years ago when he swapped to Nike

He isn't going down the gym constantly bench pressing massive weights - he has a very strict aerobic workout all about strengthen the correct muscles not building them up - there was an article in GM about it and he showed exactly his fitness regime.

He hasn't just got a rib injury - nothing to do with any extra gym or weight work , he doesn't have back issues or knee or shoulder etc. It's just lazy to blame an injury on his fitness regime

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah 4 majors and more very difficult to come by.

Not sure he will realise his full potential and if that's muscle toning I would hate to see what muscle building is like. He is a shadow of his former self.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know what's going to happen to his slot in the pro am? I was looking forward to seeing him play with giggsy, schmeichel and scholesy. Will it just be his replacement in the field playing with them?

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
McIlroy has been going to the gym to tone for over 6 years now - in that period he has won 4 majors , RTD and Fed Ex , he has changed clubs a number of times and still continue to win the tournaments. Every single time people continue to question him yet every time he proves those doubters wrong. This is just a replica of the thread 4/5 years ago when he swapped to Nike

He isn't going down the gym constantly bench pressing massive weights - he has a very strict aerobic workout all about strengthen the correct muscles not building them up - there was an article in GM about it and he showed exactly his fitness regime.

He hasn't just got a rib injury - nothing to do with any extra gym or weight work , he doesn't have back issues or knee or shoulder etc. It's just lazy to blame an injury on his fitness regime

If he's not looking to build his muscles up why is he considerably bigger now than a few years ago?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They made a great point on PGA coverage a few days ago.

Someone said that the current crop of players, Day, Rory etc get a lot more injuries than the old greats used to get...due to all this new no holding back swings

But the new players are so in tune with their bodies, they get MRIs if they need them, they have breaks if they injuries.

In the past, players would just continue playing weekly with terrible injuries...It wasn't like they didn't have problems.

D

Deleted member 15344

If he's not looking to build his muscles up why is he considerably bigger now than a few years ago?

It's normally called growing up and filling out - there prob isn't much difference between him now and three years ago beyond wearing tighter tops.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

because his not a boy anymore. your not in your anabolic prime until your mid 30's so hell probably continue to fill out.

rory has the best team around him. there is no way his gym work is causing him injuries. in fact a would argue that his gym work is preventing injuries

people on this forum that are claiming his gym work is detrimental to his game are (in my opinion) deluded. no one on this forum is even remotely qualified to give make that statement and yet whole heartedly believe it over a team of highly trained professionals

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
because his not a boy anymore. your not in your anabolic prime until your mid 30's so hell probably continue to fill out.

rory has the best team around him. there is no way his gym work is causing him injuries. in fact a would argue that his gym work is preventing injuries

people on this forum that are claiming his gym work is detrimental to his game are (in my opinion) deluded. no one on this forum is even remotely qualified to give make that statement and yet whole heartedly believe it over a team of highly trained professionals

Its a wonder Nicklaus, Player, Mickleson, Ballesteros , Watson, Harrington etc won so many majors without pumping iron and doubling their muscle mass.

Maybe they could have won so many more majors if they had?

Imagine if they had the benefit of these highly trained professionals? 👍

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a wonder Nicklaus, Player, Mickleson, Ballesteros , Watson, Harrington etc won so many majors without pumping iron and doubling their muscle mass.

Imagine if they had the benefit of these highly trained professionals? 
i would argue two of your list .
Seve retired ,bad back. Player ,the godfather of gym fitness.
now which one of those two fit your criteria?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

but golf has changed since then. tiger woods saw to that. the golfers you mention wouldn't stand a chance in todays field. that's just my opinion of course.

watson and Harrington are of course fantastic golfers but there will always be a few that defy my logic. look at patric reed. not what you would call a gym rat but a good golfer. but on a hole the golf swing is more athletic now than ever

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

And yet Woods was ripped all his career and won how many ?

Player was very much into fitness and won how many ?

There is no blueprint on winning a major - no foolproof method , no wrong way

McIlroy will be surrounded by professionals who know what they are doing in regards his body and fitness.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Regardless of whether Rory's pumping (iron, that is)😚 is good or bad for him, he has to take time now to get fully fit.
It's into a hectic few months now, with the US Open not far away and then The Open and PGA hot on its heels, followed almost immediately by the FedEx.....
He has to get this right or he could struggle all year..