New Balls

Boabie

Visit site
Now been announced that new balls that do not travel so far are to be introduced.
I hope the manufacturers will ensure they are biodegradable, have all the information on one half and a round spot the size of one dimple in the centre of the other half. The purpose of the spot being to point upwards so no other mark (alignment or otherwise) is visible when the ball is placed on the green. I also hope the sellers of balls are forced to without question provide old for new free replacement before returning all the old balls to their suppliers to dispose of responsibly.
I dread to think how many balls are manufactured each day but they have to go or have gone somewhere. The new ball introduction provides the manufacturers a huge unjustifiable bonus.
I believe the golfing authorities are providing "just stop oil" people with a good reason to have several days out disrupting golf all over the world.
There are other ways of having a course played in the manner it was designed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Now been announced that new balls that do not travel so far are to be introduced.
I hope the manufacturers will ensure they are biodegradable, have all the information on one half and a round spot the size of one dimple in the centre of the other half. The purpose of the spot being to point upwards so no other mark (alignment or otherwise) is visible when the ball is placed on the green. I also hope the sellers of balls are forced to without question provide old for new free replacement before returning all the old balls to their suppliers to dispose of responsibly.
I dread to think how many balls are manufactured each day but they have to go or have gone somewhere. The new ball introduction provides the manufacturers a huge unjustifiable bonus.
I believe the golfing authorities are providing "just stop oil" people with a good reason to have several days out disrupting golf all over the world.
There are other ways of having a course played in the manner it was designed.

1.2 billion sold each year so a tad more than that will be manufactured

D

Deleted member 23270

Balls will still be manufactured in the same numbers. The only thing that will change is the specification of the balls. Nothing to get upset about.

Boabie

Visit site
Balls will still be manufactured in the same numbers. The only thing that will change is the specification of the balls. Nothing to get upset about.
I do worry as there will be a sudden glut of old balls with a need to replace them on a certain date. Been told 1.2 billion balls per year not gradually phased out like plastic tees just suddenly out of spec.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do worry as there will be a sudden glut of old balls with a need to replace them on a certain date. Been told 1.2 billion balls per year not gradually phased out like plastic tees just suddenly out of spec.

This is a question I've asked but doesn't seem to be an answer out there

Golf balls aren't recyclable are they?

2030 is the date isn't It? So we introduce a new one.. what happens to all the old ones?

Means you can't play a ball you find anymore either

Surely just an environment disaster waiting to happen

Changing the clubs would have been easier surely?

D

Deleted member 23270

I doubt it will be an overnight change. The new ball will be available before the changeover day and people will carry on with the old balls just not in competitions. Bit like the phasing out of the 1.62 ball years ago.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will the new balls have a marking to make a clear difference between old and new?

You find a ball in a comp and put in play. Need to know it's legal

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Storm in a teacup. This is only going to affect elite golfers, and I presume the balls they use will be validated prior to the comp.

For club golfers, the distance a ball travels is 99% down to how well it is hit, and 1% the ball itself.
At club level, nobody is going to worry about what ball their opponents are using, because they know it makes no difference.
Does anyone bother to count how many clubs their opponent has in his bag?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bio degradable golf balls!!!

There are some now that are used on cruise ships for players to hit in to the sea but they are only hit once so the rest is not important. I cannot see manufacturers putting in that sort of effort where distance and spin are so important and durability important for the average golfer.

D-S

Visit site
If the difference is so insignificant for amateurs why just not allow the old balls forever? - sorted.

If the manufacturers only make new spec balls from, say, 2028, then in the years to come all the old stock will gradually disappear. Elite events can specify from 2028 but no need for other events.
At the moment I don’t care if the opposition is playing a ProV1 left dash, a Pinnacle Lake ball or a Commando and I won’t do in future if the difference is negligible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt it will be an overnight change. The new ball will be available before the changeover day and people will carry on with the old balls just not in competitions. Bit like the phasing out of the 1.62 ball years ago.
Ah yes. I'm sure everybody will be dilligently making sure they don't use one of their massive stocks of old golf balls in a competition. 👀

D

Deleted member 23270

Ah yes. I'm sure everybody will be dilligently making sure they don't use one of their massive stocks of old golf balls in a competition. 👀
What people choose to do is obviously up to them bit like when driver COR rules changed. I'm certainly not going to put myself in a position where people accuse me of cheating though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have 6 years to wind those stocks down........unless you lose 1 ball a month and have 7 dozen in stock now you're only going to left with a few.....
And it'll come down to the integrity of the player.
If it's a social game - play what you like
If it's competition or handicap round then you play by the rules unless you're the sort that improves your lie or uses a leather wedge....
Simple really.