New Balls

YandaB

Visit site
It has to be born in mind that the conforming list is really for elite event use

When it comes to the list there are criteria

In order for a ball to remain on the List after 12 months, the manufacturer is required to submit additional samples. Is a manufacturer going to submit balls from years ago? Does that manufacturer still exist?

What if my ball is not listed?​

It may not have been submitted, but may still conform for use at non-elite level
It may have been ruled non-conforming
It may have expired from the List – which means it should still be considered ‘conforming’ for use at non-elite level
It must NOT be used when the condition is in effect
Agreed that's what it should be, just elite events, however it depends on whether some bright spark on your committee has included G-3 in your local rules or not :mad:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
…and what am I going to do with the couple of thousand old mostly pick-ups I have in my garage…anyone want any?
I used to hit mine on the range but now we have gone hi-tech only range balls are allowed.

Mostly now given to friends who seem to have a very short relationship with their golf balls and are always looking for new supplies.

D

Deleted member 23270

OK, so I haven't cheated. On the assumption that all balls from the big manufacturers would have been on the list at some point, I'm OK to keep using them in non-elite events and handicap rounds. That's a relief. :)
As every new release of equipment 'moves on' and makes the game easier if you have been cheating then you have disadvantaged yourself which makes you a pretty rubbish cheat :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
…and what am I going to do with the couple of thousand old mostly pick-ups I have in my garage…anyone want any?

I often go for a walk round our 9 hole course just because it is a nice walk.

I always take a plastic bag because generally I will find a load of balls as I walk round. Any that I will not use myself I just leave on a tee.

Like others I used to bash them up the range but that is now banned where I play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I often go for a walk round our 9 hole course just because it is a nice walk.

I always take a plastic bag because generally I will find a load of balls as I walk round. Any that I will not use myself I just leave on a tee.

Like others I used to bash them up the range but that is now banned where I play.
I used to use some of them on the range, but we have free range balls now and can’t use or own - and why would we want to anyway.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont worry about it. Anyone of a mindset to have a couple of thousand golf balls in their garage will eventually go to meet their maker - and they'll still have a couple of thousand golf balls in their garage ... :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At £500 a pop that’s not going to happen.
Happened in 2006 or whenever. R&A flagging its quite possible driver specs will change. Whether that rolls back what we have in our hands today, or lets us use them but hems in any future development unknown at the moment. With driver unchanged effectively for the last 15 years, they just want to be sure no further game changer does come up on that front I'd guess. And assess the consequences of the ball change before making a next move. They would more likely change club spec if they want a further tweak, rather than another ball change within the next 20 years.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happened in 2006 or whenever. R&A flagging its quite possible driver specs will change. Whether that rolls back what we have in our hands today, or lets us use them but hems in any future development unknown at the moment. With driver unchanged effectively for the last 15 years, they just want to be sure no further game changer does come up on that front I'd guess. And assess the consequences of the ball change before making a next move. They would more likely change club spec if they want a further tweak, rather than another ball change within the next 20 years.
I think with the backlash on social media now it will be more difficult .
Not so much back then.
Can see some big court cases from OEMs if it does.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
6 years away is a long time.
Anything could & probably will happen between now & then.
The authorities could & should restrict the new ball to professional golfers only.
It wouldn't surprise me if they about turn on this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6 years away is a long time.
Anything could & probably will happen between now & then.
The authorities could & should restrict the new ball to professional golfers only.
It wouldn't surprise me if they about turn on this.
Yes I agree.
I can’t remember ever seeing a headline “AM golfer overpowers a 7400 yd course”

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's because it's not headline news, it happens every day at every course.
Not at mine.
In our only scratch open One golfer broke par.
Most of them didn’t break 80.

Big hitting is an advantage gained by practice and skill.
Imagine if the Football Association told City “ you can’t have Haaland he scores to much.”

Captain_Black.

Visit site
In the professional game, the new ball will be easy to police, not so in the amateur game.
I suspect if this change goes ahead as it stands atm, lots of amateur golfers will just carry on using the old ball, unless the manufacturers put a very distinctive marking on the new ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the professional game, the new ball will be easy to police, not so in the amateur game.
I suspect if this change goes ahead as it stands atm, lots of amateur golfers will just carry on using the old ball, unless the manufacturers put a very distinctive marking on the new ball.
No money in it for OEMs to just make a ball for the pros!
Most get them for free anyway..
The money is getting all AMs to buy them!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I will just use one stronger club for my second shot .. maybe 2, if I feel like it.
Too much emotion about something that is not understood or been clarified.
All this bleating about “I need to keep my current driver or I will stop having fun..” come on if that’s the case maybe your just cluttering up the golf course .. just enjoy the game.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's a ###### stupid idea. Senior golfers get a kicking because of what elite golfers are capable of. They seem to have never herd of sarcopenia -the loss of muscle that happens with age mid 50s and mid 70s particularly. Older golfers don't need any further handicaps, in fact give them back they're hiCR drivers as well, and make pros play with ping-pong balls.