New Balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of this just reveals that the powers that be have lost the plot. Rolling back the ball to avoid bifurcation is going to cause all manner of chaos.
I personally couldn't care less whether my opponents in a comp carry on using "illegal" balls, because I know it makes virtually no difference.
But it's going to give the rules nazis something else to harass us with.

2. And to control swing speeds like that requires extremely stiff shafts.

I do not agree with that comment, you just adjust your timing to suit a very flexibly shaft.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That's just stupid to me. My handicap will already be made up scores including that driver won't it? Sorry but I just wouldn't accept it. I know this is hypothetical but they seem to be kicking off a trend of punishing handicap golfers because the pros are too good, and I just don't like it, that's all.

At least new clubs weren't £450 back then. 😁
It’s not even because the pros are too good. It’s because some very wealthy courses in the US want to hold the US Open and the R&A think The Old Course is becoming a pitch and putt.

I’ve yet to see the problem properly defined and how the roll back is going to make a difference.

There is a load of rubbish spouted about courses not playing as the architect intended. If that was really the issue, we’d be going back to Hickory and featheries.

I don’t care either way. There are easier ways to bring distance down for pros.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It is not just about flex it is also about how the power is applied.
No, you're avoiding the question. You said that restricting stiffness won't solve it because the player will adjust their timing to deal with it. So I repeat: if that's the case, why do they use ultra stiff shafts?

If it's just that a stiffer shaft makes it easier to have a fast swing speed, then that's exactly the point I'm making: reduce stiffness and all but the most talented will have to dial it back.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is a question I've asked but doesn't seem to be an answer out there

Golf balls aren't recyclable are they?

2030 is the date isn't It? So we introduce a new one.. what happens to all the old ones?

Means you can't play a ball you find anymore either

Surely just an environment disaster waiting to happen

Changing the clubs would have been easier surely?

I’m the same as you here and have raised the question before.

Without becoming a protester, with 1.2bn balls made a year do we not have a responsibility to ensure our sport is sustainable?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m the same as you here and have raised the question before.

Without becoming a protester, with 1.2bn balls made a year do we not have a responsibility to ensure our sport is sustainable?

Exactly, surely one simple way to rebalance things and reduce distance would be to ban the driver . I know at first that sounds crazy talk. However if the pros are losing what 30 yards with this ball? What's the difference between Rory's driver and 3 wood? 20 yards is it? Limit the lowest loft you can carry suddenly the ball goes a lot shorter

D-S

Visit site
…and what am I going to do with the couple of thousand old mostly pick-ups I have in my garage…anyone want any?
The authorities letting us know now which current balls (we have been told 30%) conform to the new standard would be a good start. Then 300 or so out of your 1000 may be fine.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many of us are playing with ball that is not on the conforming ball list now? e.g not all versions of the Prov1 are on the list

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
How many of us are playing with ball that is not on the conforming ball list now? e.g not all versions of the Prov1 are on the list
Really? I would never think to check. I have just assumed that a ball from a big manufacturer will be conforming.
I will often play with a ball I've found in the long grass - are you telling me that I might have been cheating?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many of the current ball that are on the list will disappear from the list simply because the the Manufacturers will not submit the older balls for testing to the new specs in the first place? Why submit a ball for testing when you no longer make it?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really? I would never think to check. I have just assumed that a ball from a big manufacturer will be conforming.
I will often play with a ball I've found in the long grass - are you telling me that I might have been cheating?
Throw him out, throw him out 🤣 🤣

On this basis, 99% of golfers might have been cheating, me included 😄. I must be a rotten cheat though, still don't win.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It has to be born in mind that the conforming list is really for elite event use

When it comes to the list there are criteria

In order for a ball to remain on the List after 12 months, the manufacturer is required to submit additional samples. Is a manufacturer going to submit balls from years ago? Does that manufacturer still exist?

What if my ball is not listed?​

It may not have been submitted, but may still conform for use at non-elite level
It may have been ruled non-conforming
It may have expired from the List – which means it should still be considered ‘conforming’ for use at non-elite level
It must NOT be used when the condition is in effect

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly, surely one simple way to rebalance things and reduce distance would be to ban the driver . I know at first that sounds crazy talk. However if the pros are losing what 30 yards with this ball? What's the difference between Rory's driver and 3 wood? 20 yards is it? Limit the lowest loft you can carry suddenly the ball goes a lot shorter
At £500 a pop that’s not going to happen.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
What if my ball is not listed?
  • It may not have been submitted, but may still conform for use at non-elite level
  • It may have been ruled non-conforming
  • It may have expired from the List – which means it should still be considered ‘conforming’ for use at non-elite level
  • It must NOT be used when the condition is in effect
OK, so I haven't cheated. On the assumption that all balls from the big manufacturers would have been on the list at some point, I'm OK to keep using them in non-elite events and handicap rounds. That's a relief. :)

Last edited: