New Balls

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some of us are capable of losing two balls on a single shot.
Exactly...shouldn't be hard to get the numbers right.

There's an awful lot of angst being spouted in all corners about something that..
A. Is 6 years away...6 years.
B. Might not even happen if the new rule is challenged in the courts.
Start worrying about it in September 2029....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have 6 years to wind those stocks down........unless you lose 1 ball a month and have 7 dozen in stock now you're only going to left with a few.....
And it'll come down to the integrity of the player.
If it's a social game - play what you like
If it's competition or handicap round then you play by the rules unless you're the sort that improves your lie or uses a leather wedge....
Simple really.
I'm not going to do anything special like stocking up on balls, but I'm sure plenty will do, that's all I'm saying. And unless people are out there in comps checking what ball people are using, there will be loads who keeping using the old style for years after the final changeover.

Imurg

Visit site
I'm not going to do anything special like stocking up on balls, but I'm sure plenty will do, that's all I'm saying. And unless people are out there in comps checking what ball people are using, there will be loads who keeping using the old style for years after the final changeover.
As I said, it's down to the integrity of the player .
Nobody counts clubs, nobody checks the CT of your driver, the grooves on your wedges.
If people want to cheat they will.....hopefully there will be few that feel they need to.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said, it's down to the integrity of the player .
Nobody counts clubs, nobody checks the CT of your driver, the grooves on your wedges.
If people want to cheat they will.....hopefully there will be few that feel they need to.
I think there are caveats though. I wouldn't personally consider it cheating if the R&A turned around and said the driver I spent £400 on is no longer conforming and I need to buy a different one. I'd happily tell them to jog on.

Imurg

Visit site
I think there are caveats though. I wouldn't personally consider it cheating if the R&A turned around and said the driver I spent £400 on is no longer conforming and I need to buy a different one. I'd happily tell them to jog on.
Er....but it would be.
If the ruling bodies decreed that you had to use kids plastic clubs then thats what you'd have to use
If youre not playing for handicap you can use whatever you like but in competition or for handicap then whatever the rules say are the rules and if you deliberately break them then that's cheating.
It happened 20 years ago when the CoR was restricted to 0.83....many of us had to buy new clubs in order to compete.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It was fairly easy to spot someone playing a 1.62 when it was no longer allowable.
But I'm sure there will be plenty of eagle-eyed ball police out there who love to find fault and lay down the law.

Oh, just spotted Imurg's comment while typing this.
I loved my Taylormade R360, had played some of my best years with it when in my 40s, but had to buy a new conforming one and relinquish it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Er....but it would be.
If the ruling bodies decreed that you had to use kids plastic clubs then thats what you'd have to use
If youre not playing for handicap you can use whatever you like but in competition or for handicap then whatever the rules say are the rules and if you deliberately break them then that's cheating.
It happened 20 years ago when the CoR was restricted to 0.83....many of us had to buy new clubs in order to compete.
That's just stupid to me. My handicap will already be made up scores including that driver won't it? Sorry but I just wouldn't accept it. I know this is hypothetical but they seem to be kicking off a trend of punishing handicap golfers because the pros are too good, and I just don't like it, that's all.

At least new clubs weren't £450 back then. 😁

D

Deleted member 23270

That's just stupid to me. My handicap will already be made up scores including that driver won't it? Sorry but I just wouldn't accept it. I know this is hypothetical but they seem to be kicking off a trend of punishing handicap golfers because the pros are too good, and I just don't like it, that's all.

People hitting the distances that we club golfers hit will only see a difference of a few yards max, possibly not even 1 club difference but if you continue to play the non conforming ball then you are cheating. End of.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Some of those 20 or more years old illegal drivers come up on Ebay from time-to-time at £20 or so.
You ought to get one. I'm on the lookout already.

Imurg

Visit site

Callaway ERC was £449 rrp

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've been known to play illegal clubs, I tell my playing partners they're illegal, no-one gives a stuff.

I'm sure new spec balls will be available well before the 2030 date and probably before the 2028 date so all the fans can play the same ball as their heroes, but I doubt anybody will bother if someone puts an illegal into play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly...shouldn't be hard to get the numbers right.

There's an awful lot of angst being spouted in all corners about something that..
A. Is 6 years away...6 years.
B. Might not even happen if the new rule is challenged in the courts.
Start worrying about it in September 2029....

I must admit I missed

Existing balls approved for conformance in 2027 may continue to be used by recreational golfers until January 2030 to give golfers, manufacturers and retailers additional time to adjust. These decisions are in line with the commitments made by the governing bodies at the project’s inception.

I had assumed it was Jan 2028

Not sure I have enough balls now :ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of those 20 or more years old illegal drivers come up on Ebay from time-to-time at £20 or so.
You ought to get one. I'm on the lookout already.
I had no trouble in selling my non conforming TM R580 despite pointing out it was non conforming, Bought it secondhand in the first place and got my money back.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
All of this just reveals that the powers that be have lost the plot. Rolling back the ball to avoid bifurcation is going to cause all manner of chaos.
I personally couldn't care less whether my opponents in a comp carry on using "illegal" balls, because I know it makes virtually no difference.
But it's going to give the rules nazis something else to harass us with.

I still haven't heard why a very simple alternative solution wouldn't work...
1. To hit the ball as far as the pros do requires prodigious swing speeds.
2. And to control swing speeds like that requires extremely stiff shafts.
3. Why not just restrict the maximum shaft stiffness? It wouldn't affect any club golfer.
(And if someone like de Chambeau can control a floppy shaft while swinging at insane speeds, good luck to him).

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit I missed

Existing balls approved for conformance in 2027 may continue to be used by recreational golfers until January 2030
How on earth can the authorities dictate what recreational golfers use? I can go out now and play with whatever non conforming club, ball, tee etc. I like, so what can they do come 2027!

Similarly, post 2027 they can't stop non conforming balls being used recreationally, only in competitions & for handicaps (if policed by the club or other competitors/playing partners).

Thousands of recreational golfers will just carry on using their stock of old balls.

D

Deleted member 25172

With these reactions about the ball, I expect a few people in this thread to have a heart attack when the R&A and USGA announces updates on the drivers in a few years time.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
With these reactions about the ball, I expect a few people in this thread to have a heart attack when the R&A and USGA announces updates on the drivers in a few years time.
Damn right, I need all the help I can get, I could do with the driver face been bigger yet 🤣🤣

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh no I have just realised my irons will be non conforming next year. I reckon the R&A did not give me enough warning when I bought them in 1992.