PGA Championship

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed. He slammed the ball in there, and he gets to just remove it? Seems crazy to me. I know, I know, "those are the rules." Doesn't make it any less surprising.
So, it seems crazy because he hit a bad shot? What about getting relief if you slice the ball into the rough, or another fairway, and it is plugged? No relief simply because "you hit the ball there, you shouldn't get to just remove it" :)

Visit site
The reason the rule feels illogical to me is because he was in a hazard. He failed to get the ball out of the hazard - at no point did the ball actually leave the hazard - and is then granted a free drop out of the hazard.

The fact that “technically” it’s deemed embedded because it’s plugged far enough into the face that it’s no longer touching the sand is a very poor ruling in my opinion.

(I’m not disputing that the ruling was applied correctly)

Swango1980

Visit site
The reason the rule feels illogical to me is because he was in a hazard. He failed to get the ball out of the hazard - at no point did the ball actually leave the hazard - and is then granted a free drop out of the hazard.

The fact that “technically” it’s deemed embedded because it’s plugged far enough into the face that it’s no longer touching the sand is a very poor ruling in my opinion.

Ignoring the terminolgy you use (Hazard not applicable anymore), he wasn't in the bunker. You don't get relief for an embedded ball in a bunker. We've all had that sinking moment when we see we have the "fried egg" in a bunker, and know we do not get relief.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is wrong. The ball embedded in the grass bank an inch or two above the sand. So he was out of the hazard/bunker.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Good tournament, not excellent, but there was enough going on (on course & off) to make it enjoyable viewing.

⚫ With the designated events, the presence of the LIV rebels provides a nice distinction for the Majors
⚫ What's with the coverage - did they put the CW production team in charge? People tune in to watch the golf, show the golf when there's golf on the course!
⚫ Koepka owned his Masters 'meltdown', much to the chagrin of McGinley et al who declared Thursday that publicly stating this was a massive mistake.
⚫ Koepka is very good at Golf, never been a fan, but after watching Full Swing (albeit edited), he had mental demons to overcome and seemingly was surrounded by people who couldn't help him.
⚫ Great tournament by Rose - couldn't help but think to myself 'that's a future LIV alumni right there'. Post Ryder Cup of course!
⚫ Who was the last winner of a Major who wasn't a PGAT member?
⚫ Scheffler is impressive. Smith is impressive. DeChambeau is impressive. Rahm will be back, as will DJ etc. I'm absolutely okay with watching these guys play their respective tours and then compete 4 times a year. I can watch strong designated fields and good players on LIV.
⚫ Kitayama, Davis and Straka probably justify some acknowledgement.
⚫ The course & conditions - 11 players under par, 9 under wins it. Rain, wind, tough rough etc. - it was a Major & it actually sort of felt like it.
⚫ Block - truly impressive....but unpopular opinion, he's not for me.
⚫ McIlroy - Cold pre-tournament interview, top 10 finish, no where near his best, more engaging post-tournament interview (self deprecating Brooks vibes). You know what, I genuinely think he'll climb the mountain again, it'll just take a while.
Similar, overall enjoyed it, but did struggle with the coverage. Assume Sky only had the US network feeds to work with, and as per typical US very little coverage away from the top few. Ended up having a leaderboard open on a device as struggled to follow the wider tournament. Plus the habit of showing players walking, talking, pacing rather than actual golf shots. And the long coverage of players tapping in 1 foot putts.

Mind I did wonder if Brooks had started faffing around over tap ins as a bit of a protest against slow play!

Visit site
The Michael Block stuff - coverage is OTT. Despite the fact that it’s a great story - he’s living a lot of pros dreams out there… is everyone aware he has 25 tour starts and it was his 6th or 7th major start?

I appreciate that he’s not a tour pro, he played fantastically and well beyond expectations, but he’s also not exactly a random teaching pro who is giving group lessons to 12 year olds for his day job - he’s a very experienced player, he just gives a few people lessons on the side, hasn’t taken a new client on in years… idk 🤷‍♂️

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Similar, overall enjoyed it, but did struggle with the coverage. Assume Sky only had the US network feeds to work with, and as per typical US very little coverage away from the top few. Ended up having a leaderboard open on a device as struggled to follow the wider tournament. Plus the habit of showing players walking, talking, pacing rather than actual golf shots. And the long coverage of players tapping in 1 foot putts.

Mind I did wonder if Brooks had started faffing around over tap ins as a bit of a protest against slow play!
They were waiting at a couple of holes, so the commentators seemed to think he did it deliberately as to not be waiting on the tee box too long!!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don't mid who wins. i just prefer the winner to be:
- English,
- or British,
- or European,
- or RoW,
- or a Yank

In that order
Recall largely agreeing with this when first read it.
Not sure if it was talked about much at the time, but when Rahm won the Masters only one of the four majors were then held by a USA player.
Perhaps a statto can jump in but it feels like a while since that was last the case.
Ironically, in the interesting times we live in, it seems the current US major winner is someone a proportion of the US would have preferred not to win it!