Rory hits spectator on the jaw.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The noise was terrible when it hit the lad.
He did shout , but like he was shouting to his mum in the kitchen for a cuppa.
He’s spraying it all over today.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The noise was terrible when it hit the lad.
He did shout , but like he was shouting to his mum in the kitchen for a cuppa.
He’s spraying it all over today.

He did not shout; that was not a shout. Someone vaguely mumbled Fore right, and the defence committee of Dougherty & Coltart were even more embarrassing that Roe was with Kuchar last night.

D

Deleted member 15344

There was the smallest shout of fore right about 3 seconds before the ball flew into the crowd and hit the bloke - it was token effort at best

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He did not shout; that was not a shout. Someone vaguely mumbled Fore right, and the defence committee of Dougherty & Coltart were even more embarrassing that Roe was with Kuchar last night.
I heard a low shout just assumed it was him.
But it was very late and not very load.
He did it again on the next hole but did shout then.

Visit site
The players should be fined if they hit an errant tee shot and DO NOT shout fore and hurt someone. It amazes me that no one has sued a player by now instead of the oh sorry here's a signed ball and glove for recompense.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rob Lee has it right by saying “ it’s the players responsibility to shout fore”,it’s that simple for me.

What I have noticed is players shouting fore when their ball is so far off line,for the fear of not finding it,however not shouting when it goes into the crowd hoping it comes back into play.

D

Deleted member 23344

The players should be fined if they hit an errant tee shot and DO NOT shout fore and hurt someone. It amazes me that no one has sued a player by now instead of the oh sorry here's a signed ball and glove for recompense.

It would be hard to sue someone - all tickets to professional golf events carry a statement that the spectators enter the course at their own risk. But the failure to shout "fore" loudly is a disgrace ... I do it and I'm not paid millions like they are. Poor show. Fines is one answer, but what fine do you apply to someone who is worth tens of millions of dollars? Penalty shots is the way to go, but the authorities would never have the balls to do it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a nice gesture but shouting fore at a pro event makes little difference if your 250 odd yards away.
Why?
So many are being hit that the process they have now is not working properly.
Shouting is just another layer of warning.

It will be sorted when’s someone is killed ,as you can’t settle out of court with a dead person.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Why?
So many are being hit that the process they have now is not working properly.
Shouting is just another layer of warning.

It will be sorted when’s someone is killed ,as you can’t settle out of court with a dead person.

Sure they should shout as an example to us all, but the actual benefit of it at a PGA event is very low.

Wolf

Visit site
Lost all respect for Rory a long time ago. I see he was back to chucking clubs again yesterday too.

Great to see Kaymer back to form, so much talent and greatly underachieved in his career so far in my opinion. Guy had it all, hopefully it's coming back.

Agree with every word of this. Also have no respect for Rory and way he carries himself.

Kaymer however absolutely one of my favourite players, all around good guy who had some serious game so hoping he can get it back as when he is playing well the golfing world is a better place imo.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Rory failed to qualify for the final two rounds so I guess he will just have to take things on the chin (or jaw).

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's a nice gesture but shouting fore at a pro event makes little difference if your 250 odd yards away.

This is a valid point. In fact, it's the whole point. These pros are driving a ball at or near 300 yards. I doubt that shouting that distance will carry. If a shout is ineffective, then there is little point in doing it.
However, it should be recognised that this is a pro golf tournament with spectators paying to attend.
So organisers need to acknowledge that there should be adequate measures to try, as much as is reasonable, to protect spectators.
At these distances , "fore" shouting on drives is ineffective and so the organisers should provide other forms of warning. Some effort is made visually but not all spectators watch the marshalls who are on the tee and signal the path of the drive. There should be other marshalls ,near to where the ball is expected to land, watching the drives and if the ball is errant , coming to near "their "spectators,then they should be the ones shouting fore.

Also it should be acknowledged by spectators that they are at a place where they should pay attention to the possibilities of stray golf balls. I.e
Stand at a tee watching a player drive off, you are pretty safe: stand 200 yds further down the fairway ,you are not so safe- so then you watch the drive and keep your wits about you for that minute or so.

To say that a player should be sued for attempting to hit the ball the best he can , and making an errant shot, is just ridiculous .

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rob Lee has it right by saying “ it’s the players responsibility to shout fore”,it’s that simple for me.

What I have noticed is players shouting fore when their ball is so far off line,for the fear of not finding it,however not shouting when it goes into the crowd hoping it comes back into play.

But having been to events - people track the ball and stand around it, unlike us mere mortals who have to take another or drop. So they're obviously more worried about the lie they have.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Watching the footage and, yes, it's a pretty ineffective shout.
But you can hear the drone of the blimp or a generator or something...add that to the noise of the crowd and nobody is going to hear a shout from 300+ yards away.
It's also possible that, on the tee, nobody thought the ball was going to end up that wide until it slowed down and the spin took it further right and towards the spectators - hence the late and underwhelming shout....it was too late.
And, judging by what I saw at the PGA, even when there is a shout, people don't react to it.