Rory hits spectator on the jaw.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Situation

Player A tees off - hits fairway

Player B tees off whilst player A is looking in his bag for something , Player Bs balls flies into the crowd and hits someone - yet with your suggestion both player A and B penalised ?!?!

Next situation- player A tees off - ball looks ok on the edge of the rough takes a nasty bounce and hits someone ? Punished

Player A tees off looks ok , bends down to pick up tee - ball leaks into the rough due to wind and hits someone - punished ?!

It’s not a forceable or even a workable rule

There is nothing in the rule book and because of the way of the game they will never bring in shot penalties for someone not shouting fore.

A fine is the only sort of workable punishment they could try or a points system which could result in suspensions but even then it’s not easy to implement

Start fining a few and they'll soon learn to watch what's going on rather than fiddle around in their bags. (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Which will have the secondary effect of imposing a financial penalty far greater than a tour rules official is likely to.
Imagine missing the tour championship, or even losing your card, but for shouting fore!
That’d change attitudes 👍

D

Deleted member 15344

Start fining a few and they'll soon learn to watch what's going on rather than fiddle around in their bags. (y)
Fined because you didn’t watch someone else’s golf ball ? Can you really see that happen - it’s not the FC responsibility to watch the ball , most will just walk on as soon as the other player has hit or will start their own routine but sorry i think it’s ridiculous to suggest someone is punished for the actions of others.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fined because you didn’t watch someone else’s golf ball ? Can you really see that happen - it’s not the FC responsibility to watch the ball , most will just walk on as soon as the other player has hit or will start their own routine but sorry i think it’s ridiculous to suggest someone is punished for the actions of others.

Would certainly make the pampered pussies think twice.

Let's bring it in.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

If the Tour develops the testicular fortitude to make a decision then yes. Surely as they are attesting each other's cards they should be watching their FC's shots?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If you are referring to my post where I use the word ridiculous, then perhaps you should read it properly. Unless you agree that a player should be sued because his ball hit someone (at a pro tour event with spectators.)
I stand by the term I used. You will also note that I gave options for the protection of spectators, those options being IMO more effective than a shout of fore from some 270-300 yards away. My shout of Fore would be from a Marshall who is close to the vulnerable spectators!
Others also suggest similar practical solutions.

I think you should read back prior to jumping in with your size 11's.[/QUOTE]

Apologies!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think you have to be in awe of the mental fortitude of the pro golfer who is able to keep their trap shut when they see their ball heading towards spectators
It’s an instinctive action for regular humans, regardless how far away they are, and to be able to stay silent shows a strength I couldn’t hope to achieve. To risk serious injury on others for personal gain is a true measure of the man (or woman)

I doubt fines &/or penalty strokes would work. The very next tournament every player would shout Fore on every tee shot regardless if its wide or straight down the middle, why take the risk of an errant bounce or long run out tapping someone on the ankle and costing you 10k or a 1 shot penalty (the caddy would be tasked to do it as routine)
So you'll have 150 players with 18 tee shouts plus 2nd shots on par 4's & 5's that's 8,100 shouts of Fore each day of a 4 day tournament, no spectator will take any notice after the 1st hour

The only hope is to get willing agreement from Pros so that they do it because they actually want to do it to help avoid injuries, and that is a long shot

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A simple solution would be that if a spectator is hit and there is clear evidence the player involved did not shout it's a yellow card. Do it again and not shout its a red and miss the next event. If they were going to miss a major as a result or the end of season PGA cash fest it may get a few more shouting. Fines aren't going to work.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Forget etiquette and what we do on the course. Tour/professional events are a completely different beast to paying at the local course.

Who has responsibility to the paying spectators, it isn't the players, it is the event organisers. They are the ones that have contracted with the public by selling tickets to allow them into the grounds to watch, all duty of care flows from them.

Is Rory negligent for hitting an errant shot, or are the organisers negligent for allowing spectators to stand where there is a good chance a ball may fly?

And as many people have already noted the organisers have marshals everywhere including in which direction the ball is flying, and marshals near the spectators, they are in a far better position than the player on the tee to warn people in the potential danger.

I think players should shout fore as just a way of getting amateurs on the course doing it, in reality though in tournaments the organisers are in a better position to warn and have the duty of care for the spectators

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I assume at 300 yards a shout is worthless, even though I think they absolutely should as an example.

But whilst no one would hear a shout, many will be watching and would see a club held aloft and take cover. Others would follow suit

Should this be encouraged? I see Bubba often does it, often for a playing partner who has neither done likewise, nor shouted

Marshalled at Walton Heath today, and spent a lot of the time as a forecaddie. I can now confirm that at 300yards, a meaningful shout of Fore! is distinctly audible. (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anybody who stands 300yds from the tee at a pro event is trying to get on the tv imo.
It’s the only reason I can think of,
You wouldn’t stand at the end of a firing range, in the road at a Grand Prix.
It’s the worst place you can be.
I have been hit by a ball and it’s not nice.