Rory hits spectator on the jaw.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If shot penalties can be applied for slow play, why not for not shouting "FORE?"

There is an element of subjectivity with how loud to shout at a crowded professional event but in my experience of visiting many pro tournaments a shout triggers a ripple reaction down the spectators with that shout being echoed by many people.

And for those that say a shout wouldn't be heard above all the hubbub, there's the cocktail party effect. You will all have experienced it. You're in a crowded room, with lots of conversations ebbing and flowing around you. Someone mentions your name and you brain filters out all the rubbish and recognises its been said.

Players play conservatively when confronted with the possibility of hitting it into a lake, the penalty being dropped shots. Most of the time the pro's play relatively conservatively on every tee shot, only really opening the shoulders when the reward is greater than the risk, i.e. a good drive sees the ball that far down a birdie or eagle is a good possibility. Maybe the risk/reward should include penalties for hitting spectators. After all, everyone complains about courses being overpowered, so why not add in another 'obstacle' for the bombers.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think we also need a bit of context here, the ball struck the guy 3 inches from his eye..........
Now thinking about it like that, when are the ruling bodies going to do something about it?
You are spot on - It's clearly completely inappropriate to have any spectators, or marshals, anywhere on the course when it's being played.
Why do they do it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are spot on - It's clearly completely inappropriate to have any spectators, or marshals, anywhere on the course when it's being played.
Why do they do it?
Maybe there’s a case for no go areas where driver will land .
THat May make the pros think more if there’s no crowd to stop errant tee shots.
But probably impractical.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Koepka shouted fore very loudly when the spectator got smacked straight in the eye.

They're not going to hear it 300+ yards away with the hustle and bustle of a busy tournament

Players can help but ultimately it's the marshalls job. Flags, radios, whatever. But it's very hard not to stop accidents occurring.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
So do I.. Doesn't mean in the event of me not shouting on odd occasion I should be penalised for their errant shot. It wouldn't lead to manners at all it would lead to players looking at bringing sanctions against the tour for unfair working regulations.

Not particularly hot on employment law I'm guessing 😂😂

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Koepka shouted fore very loudly when the spectator got smacked straight in the eye.

They're not going to hear it 300+ yards away with the hustle and bustle of a busy tournament

Players can help but ultimately it's the marshalls job. Flags, radios, whatever. But it's very hard not to stop accidents occurring.

I don't think anyone is saying accidents won't happen.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite simply there is no excuse for not shouting fore. But at the same time the spectators know that they are stood smack bang in the firing line to witness the best drives. If I had my daughter with me I would never stand In such a place. On my own? Not an issue and I'm happy to accept the risk

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
[QUOTE="Jacko_G, post: 2003669, member:
Also its not "ridiculous" to suggest it as that is the posters opinion, he/she is welcome to that opinion. I'm of the opinion that it needs addressing and fast. Its ignorant and "obnoxious" and potentially life changing. Lets just try and be courteous and do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to my post where I use the word ridiculous, then perhaps you should read it properly. Unless you agree that a player should be sued because his ball hit someone (at a pro tour event with spectators.)
I stand by the term I used. You will also note that I gave options for the protection of spectators, those options being IMO more effective than a shout of fore from some 270-300 yards away. My shout of Fore would be from a Marshall who is close to the vulnerable spectators!
Others also suggest similar practical solutions.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
[QUOTE="Jacko_G, post: 2003669, member:
Also its not "ridiculous" to suggest it as that is the posters opinion, he/she is welcome to that opinion. I'm of the opinion that it needs addressing and fast. Its ignorant and "obnoxious" and potentially life changing. Lets just try and be courteous and do the right thing.

If you are referring to my post where I use the word ridiculous, then perhaps you should read it properly. Unless you agree that a player should be sued because his ball hit someone (at a pro tour event with spectators.)
I stand by the term I used. You will also note that I gave options for the protection of spectators, those options being IMO more effective than a shout of fore from some 270-300 yards away. My shout of Fore would be from a Marshall who is close to the vulnerable spectators!
Others also suggest similar practical solutions.[/QUOTE]

I think you should read back prior to jumping in with your size 11's.

D

Deleted member 15344

Others also suggest similar practical solutions.
He was talking about me saying it was ridiculous to suggest that a whole group should get penalised if someone doesn’t shout fore and someone got hit- I believe it’s ridiculous to even suggest it

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I still don't think its ridiculous. It would be a measure in place which would force the players to shout fore. If not for the safety of the crowd, the threat of adding a shot to a playing partners score would guarantee a fore shout.

It's not difficult to do but the players on the whole flat out refuse to do it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I still don't think its ridiculous. It would be a measure in place which would force the players to shout fore. If not for the safety of the crowd, the threat of adding a shot to a playing partners score would guarantee a fore shout.

It's not difficult to do but the players on the whole flat out refuse to do it.
Situation

Player A tees off - hits fairway

Player B tees off whilst player A is looking in his bag for something , Player Bs balls flies into the crowd and hits someone - yet with your suggestion both player A and B penalised ?!?!

Next situation- player A tees off - ball looks ok on the edge of the rough takes a nasty bounce and hits someone ? Punished

Player A tees off looks ok , bends down to pick up tee - ball leaks into the rough due to wind and hits someone - punished ?!

It’s not a forceable or even a workable rule

There is nothing in the rule book and because of the way of the game they will never bring in shot penalties for someone not shouting fore.

A fine is the only sort of workable punishment they could try or a points system which could result in suspensions but even then it’s not easy to implement

D

Deleted member 1147

Beemer & Dougherty just talking about this issue.
Beemer thinks something should be done, fines & name & shame.
Dougherty asked “how much do you have to fine, considering how much these guys earn “.
In my opinion fines and penalties are the only way to go for the player and his caddy.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could introduce some sort of point system, where you accrue points for slow play (being put on the clock), not shouting fore, being Matt Kuchar, etc. They then get fined for receiving points on the first occasion, if you receive a 2nd point infringement in a 12 month season window you miss the next tournament on the calendar, receive a 3rd and you miss the next Major or WGC. Simply fining them isn't going to be enough of an incentive for change, so something more needs to be done.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Situation

Player A tees off - hits fairway

Player B tees off whilst player A is looking in his bag for something , Player Bs balls flies into the crowd and hits someone - yet with your suggestion both player A and B penalised ?!?!

Next situation- player A tees off - ball looks ok on the edge of the rough takes a nasty bounce and hits someone ? Punished

Player A tees off looks ok , bends down to pick up tee - ball leaks into the rough due to wind and hits someone - punished ?!

It’s not a forceable or even a workable rule

There is nothing in the rule book and because of the way of the game they will never bring in shot penalties for someone not shouting fore.

A fine is the only sort of workable punishment they could try or a points system which could result in suspensions but even then it’s not easy to implement

It's not difficult. If it's in any way shape of form heading towards the crowd you shout.

100% the player would shout if there was a danger of him adding a stroke to his playing partner.

There is also caddies standing watching proceedings who could also shout and remain button lipped.

A pro knows the spilt second he makes impact where a ball is headed. The majority of time they make a conscious decision not to shout.

There is nothing currently in the rules but it could be implemented and they would have brought it on themselves with their behaviour.

A simple call of fore would cover you. Not difficult to do.

Wont happen anyway but its certainly from a ridiculous suggestion as fines for multi millionaires are a joke and don't work.