Rory changes his putting style.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What is it with putting at the moment, even Rory's changing his style of putting now.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I assume he must have come on here and read Delc's post proclaiming the Claw grip as the best putting grip ever and changed!

He's actually putting left hand below right, a la Ernie Els's new method! Second best putting grip IMHO. :)

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get the fundamental reason for the change (he's mince at the moment) but didn't he win a few comps with the previous grip!

Unless he cant physically hold the grip the way he used to why wouldn't the time be better spent with the previous grip and restoring results?

A hint of desperation/trial and error/tinkering perhaps

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I get the fundamental reason for the change (he's mince at the moment) but didn't he win a few comps with the previous grip!

Unless he cant physically hold the grip the way he used to why wouldn't the time be better spent with the previous grip and restoring results?

Once your putting stroke becomes a bit twitchy, if that's his problem, then conventional right hand below left doesn't work any more. Left hand below right is a way of fixing this, and many people believe that it is the best way to putt anyway. I have tried it, but struggled to get much feel for distance, which is why I now use the claw grip. Whatever method you use, you need to practise a lot and be prepared to stick with it. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Pro's will always try something different when something is letting them down - it's a regular occurence.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Once your putting stroke becomes a bit twitchy, if that's his problem, then conventional right hand below left doesn't work any more. Left hand below right is a way of fixing this, and many people believe that it is the best way to putt anyway. I have tried it, but struggled to get much feel for distance, which is why I now use the claw grip. Whatever method you use, you need to practise a lot and be prepared to stick with it. :)

So you're saying Rory is twitchy? Really? He's just having a bad run on the greens which happens but not for one second do I think he's got any sort of problem. Sooner or later he'll revert to a standard grip as he used for the majors and go on to win more with it

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I switched left hand low after Speith won the Masters. Haven't looked back - much more solid now. It didn't take me very long to adjust so would guess McIlroy would find it infinitely easier. I think this is the beginning of the Rory era. If he sorts his putting out I think he'll be totally dominant :thup:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think, putting is most difficult mentally. While the movement is quite simple, putting is where almost everyone starts feeling the pressure. And because the movement is so simple, it is easy to lose focus. I think the reason that changing putting technique almost always seems to help at least for a while (no matter if you change from long to short putter or from normal grip to claw or cross grip or whatever) is that doing something new means you have to concentrate on the actual movement more. It keeps your focus on what you are doing instead of the score or the what-if's or whatever pressure you might feel over the putt.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory says it is because he has felt his right hand become too dominant, and always practices left below right. It wil be interesting to see how he fares. I am always tempted to try it, but can never make it feel comfortable. Maybe I need to give it another shot

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pro's will always try something different when something is letting them down - it's a regular occurence.

Yeah I guess his overall ability affords him the right to tinker, just another difference to the amateur game when we're told not to tinker but practice practice practice ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The bit that suprise a me is the timing of this. The season for him has started, ours starts end of March? So in October we were all talking about what we would be working on over the winter, not when the season starts.
Surely he knew he had to tinker with this a couple of months ago. he's not in Westwoods league re putting but hey ho if it works.