Rory changes his putting style.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think part of Rory's putting problem is he seems to be poor at reading greens. Often you see him miss 10-12ft putts and he has a look of bewilderment at how the putt did or didn't break.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
The bit that suprise a me is the timing of this. The season for him has started, ours starts end of March? So in October we were all talking about what we would be working on over the winter, not when the season starts.
Surely he knew he had to tinker with this a couple of months ago. he's not in Westwoods league re putting but hey ho if it works.

He probably was practicing over the winter and now feels comfortable to do it on the course for a few tournaments before the Masters...

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
so far this season he has averaged over 1/2 a shot per round lost on the field for putting. Spieth on the other hand (despite having a poor start to the season has gained over 1 shot).

so effectively at the moment Rory needs to beat Spieth by more than 6 shots tee to green over 4 rounds to beat him

Tough ask.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The bit that suprise a me is the timing of this. The season for him has started, ours starts end of March? So in October we were all talking about what we would be working on over the winter, not when the season starts.
Surely he knew he had to tinker with this a couple of months ago. he's not in Westwoods league re putting but hey ho if it works.

I think part of Rory's putting problem is he seems to be poor at reading greens. Often you see him miss 10-12ft putts and he has a look of bewilderment at how the putt did or didn't break.

He probably was practicing over the winter and now feels comfortable to do it on the course for a few tournaments before the Masters...

He says he's been doing it as a drill, and seems confident now that the drill is actually more successful - so this is not a sudden change. He's much better at reading greens from further out, quite often on commentary they'll say he's left the face open and pushes quite a few. Hope this works for him - he doesn't have to be the best putter on tour to win, but he has to be better than average to give himself a chance.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The proof will be Sunday night...I can't remember if Doral's greens are that slopey. If they aren't, it's a great place to try it out, as it cuts out a variable. If he is sat on top in Sunday, winning clear by 6, then we know it has worked!

D

Deleted member 15344

Well that's two holes that is going to spoil his round - a three putt after being on the green in two and then dunking tee shot into water.

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Must be so frustrating... Don't think the grip change will help to be honest, and a look at the video he posted the other day, and its the same old stroke, cutting across the ball - which really isn't consistant enough!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In comparison to his ball striking he is such a pathetic putter

A hybrid cross of his ball striking and spieths putting. ..well that would be magic!

You mean like Tiger Woods? No-one like that is coming along any time soon unfortunately

D

Deleted member 15344

The only difference between Spieth and Mcllroy yesterday was one shot

Would add in one putt as well Bob. The three putt was a bit of kick in the nuts which prob contributed to the tee shot

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You mean like Tiger Woods? No-one like that is coming along any time soon unfortunately

Do we really want another totally dominant player..?
I'd argue that half a dozen or more players battling it out week in week out is better for golf these days than a new Tiger..
Tigers impact changed Golf completely but it gets tiresome seeing the same face every time

D

Deleted member 15344

If you look at their score cards,
they both had 5 birdies
they both had 2 bogeys
The only difference was the shot in the water.

But that doesn't tell the full story though - Rory was on the 17th* in two and had a very good eagle chance yet three putted whilst Speith sunk a long putt for his birdie. That was a bit of a turning point because the next shot was the tee shot over the water which he messed up - the scorecard doesn't tell the full story

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Rory's always been a bit streaky on the greens. After playing with Jordan so often last season, and watching how successful Jordan's been with his left hand low grip, I can understand why Rory's trying something new to find some consistency.