Rory changes his putting style.

D

Deleted member 1147

His putting from day 2 onwards has been excellent. It was his long game that let him down on Sunday. He was constantly out of position and scrambling.
Encouraging signs with the putter, overall.

To be fair was missing greens pretty regularly on Saturday afternoon as well, but got up & down brilliantly.

Scott on the other seemed to play similarly well both days but holed putts on Sunday that were slipping by on Saturday.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Putting you idiot! :rolleyes:

Having said that, I have seen a trick shot artist hit a ball 250 yards through the air with a putter!

Ah right, I see.

With the way you've been blabbering on lately about the claw grip, I thought that putting was the only thing that mattered in golf :rolleyes:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ive putted like this for a number of years now (probably about 4 or 5) and the success I found was on shorter (4ft and in) putts where I was very streaky but this change gave me confidence and I hole a high percentage of these now. The hardest part to adjust was getting pace on longer putts, that still happens now to be fair.

Personally, I wouldnt change back.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair was missing greens pretty regularly on Saturday afternoon as well, but got up & down brilliantly.

Scott on the other seemed to play similarly well both days but holed putts on Sunday that were slipping by on Saturday.

Very true. While he wasn't in as much trouble on Saturday as he was last night, he managed to rescue par but last night it seemed to be very costly and nothing to do with the putter. Was it down to his PP as others suggest? Not sure I'd go with that as you can't pick who you play with and all you can do influence is your own ball. I'm sure there are some on tour (Na as a suggestion who is much slower than McIlroy and would surely upset his natural pace of play) Rory would rather not play with but you have to get on with it. At the end of the day, he simply made too many mistakes last night

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Won his last tournament...there must be a reason for the change. I thought he had looked quite good putting left below right