Rory changes his putting style.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Rory's always been a bit streaky on the greens. After playing with Jordan so often last season, and watching how successful Jordan's been with his left hand low grip, I can understand why Rory's trying something new to find some consistency.

I agree with this. He is streaky, when he his hot though, I'd argue no one can get close. Good players are always seeking things that they can do to get better. fair play for changing things up. I hope it works.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I saw (not the whole round) I think he'll be encouraged by his putting. His main issue seemed to be with pace, leaving a fair few short, but line was generally good. That's understandable with a grip change and something that should be relatively easy to sort with practice.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He needs to practice putting to specific distances not messing around with styles. He'll get his confidence back then and off he'll go. Why he doesn't ask me about this escapes me.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
From what I saw (not the whole round) I think he'll be encouraged by his putting. His main issue seemed to be with pace, leaving a fair few short, but line was generally good. That's understandable with a grip change and something that should be relatively easy to sort with practice.

Me too. As Bob said, one shot made a difference. If he'd avoided the water and 2 putted instead of 3 putted we might not be as critical. However, he did, but he's still under par. Thought he put himself in good positions and I like that it's taking him slightly longer into his putting set-up.... as I said before he doesn't need to be the best putter, just average would do (ie instead of being ranked outside top 100 on all putting stats, if he was ranked 30-50th it would make a huge difference).

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i changed to left hand below right following a tip by Padraig Harrington some 20 years ago. never looked back

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As usual he was playing fairly well from tee to green, apart from the last. But if you look at the putting stats, he only made one out of five putts from 10-15 feet which is even less than his PGA Tour average for the season (25%) at that distance. He's ranked 156th on the tour.

It might take time for him to get used to the new putting grip but I think there's more to it with Rory's putting.

Davehard8

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have just purchased the 3bays had putt. I have tried both styles and could not believe how consistent the left hand low is compared to right hand low. Not sure I would be confident enough to take it to the course yet, but give it a go on the range. Each to there own.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
23 putts with his long game is just rude.

I think a lot of folks might be trying left hand low around the country this weekend.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a wee go at it tonight on the livingroom carpet and it felt good. On closer examination comparing my normal grip vs left below right, I was much more wristy with my convential grip. Using left below right, my left wrist didn't move at all and my right wrist hardly any, so gonna give it a whirl tomorrow on the course and see how it goes.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today proved that if Rory putts half decent, Spieth isn't even in the same league as him.

This whole big 3 thing is stupid. Rory is so much better than the other two (I really really like Day). To me it's more likely to end up like - Woods, Mickelsol and Els.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today proved that if Rory putts half decent, Spieth isn't even in the same league as him.

This whole big 3 thing is stupid. Rory is so much better than the other two (I really really like Day). To me it's more likely to end up like - Woods, Mickelsol and Els.

Agreed. The Americans are so desperate to anoint Speith as the second coming that they've lost all perspective.

I like Day a lot, and he is talented, but ultimately he's had one hot streak.

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
23 putts with his long game is just rude.

I think a lot of folks might be trying left hand low around the country this weekend.

I changed to it last year and I am positive it has helped. I am significantly more solid on the 3-4 footers now whereas before I was push/pulling them.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Rory only had 23 putts in Round 2 at Doral, so that was pretty phenomenal putting with his new left hand below right style. However he is still trailing claw grip using Adam Scott by 2 shots. :)

Last edited: