Rory changes his putting style.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As an aside, I played in a match last year against the secretary of another local club, who had recently changed to left hand below right putting. He said that he wished he had changed years before, and he did putt very solidly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Today proved that if Rory putts half decent, Spieth isn't even in the same league as him.

This whole big 3 thing is stupid. Rory is so much better than the other two (I really really like Day). To me it's more likely to end up like - Woods, Mickelsol and Els.
Spot on Sam - all three at the top of their game and Rory imo is a country mile ahead

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just saw the highlights of the second round.

It was fantastic to see RM holing out like that and reaping the rewards of his tee-to-green game. He's always been streaky with the putter, so it might be worth waiting a couple of rounds before declaring his short stick crisis over...

It never reflects well on one to cheer the misfortune of others, but I can't deny I had a little chuckle when Spieth missed that short one on the last. Bad karma for me next time I'm over a 2 footer.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today proved that if Rory putts half decent, Spieth isn't even in the same league as him.

This whole big 3 thing is stupid. Rory is so much better than the other two (I really really like Day). To me it's more likely to end up like - Woods, Mickelsol and Els.

I can't get my head round the "big 3" thing either. Partly because Rory is so far ahead but also because I can't see how Jason Day and Jordan Speith get elevated above Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson and Adam Scott.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't get my head round the "big 3" thing either. Partly because Rory is so far ahead but also because I can't see how Jason Day and Jordan Speith get elevated above Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson and Adam Scott.

Agreed. On his day Rory is the best golfer on the planet and while Spieth and Day had a good 2015 they haven't done it as consistently as often as McIlroy and to be honest don't think they will. Great players but McIlroy is still the best at the moment

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Certainly seems to have improved him this week. A bogey free round yesterday, sinking putts from everywhere, especially those par save 5 or 6 footers that we watched slide agonisingly by in previous weeks. Tee to green he has been the man for a while now, if this putting change continues to be fruitful, he'll be back at no.1 in no time.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Agreed. On his day Rory is the best golfer on the planet and while Spieth and Day had a good 2015 they haven't done it as consistently as often as McIlroy and to be honest don't think they will. Great players but McIlroy is still the best at the moment

Unfortunately, on his day isn't good enough. Tournaments are won over four days, and where they are in the world ranking says it all. If Rory finds some consistency he'll easily pull ahead of them in the rankings but...

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bloody frustrating watching him again yesterday.....
Ive just seen one putt he had on 13th for par and you can see his face was aiming well right of the hole, then his follow through he holds it off and it missed right. There is no release of the putter head at all. Until he changes his stroke action I think he'll have these bad days on the greens that will cost him.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It wasn't a bad week for Rory at all - he's made a significant change and was right up there as opposed to looking lost like he has been.

As I know he reads this; stick with this Rors, just keep practicing and stay patient. It'll all be good.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Every time I saw him last night he was in a bunker; either off the tee or from the middle of the fairway. You can't play a long tricky course like that and keep a score going.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think we can all agree that his putting this week has been a significant improvement than it has been in the 2016 season so far.

I wouldnt have believed Rory would break par never mind hold the 54 hole lead with a new putting grip and stroke.

This gives him something to work with now.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
His putting from day 2 onwards has been excellent. It was his long game that let him down on Sunday. He was constantly out of position and scrambling.
Encouraging signs with the putter, overall.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
looking through his season thus far, and last season, my take would be that he has a fairly big issue with focus, the ability to concentrate consistently throughout 18, throughout 72 he seems unable to control his emotional state through play which affects his whole game - putting at the sharp end of the game has been singled out as a sole problem to take the flack for a bigger underlying issue

that said think to a certain extent his putting technique became compromised in that he developed a 'hit' a 'rap' at impact combined with a slow down immediately after with this the 'slow down' can creep in a ways too soon - don't think working with Stockton to this technique helped him any, would say it did some damage to what was his more natural 'flow' through impact

the fact at his age he's had to change the putting hold probably not a good thing overall

also looking at his upper body development over recent months looks as if he's taken this a ways too far, can real easily start to filter in to affect sync, timing, rhythm

but seems to me the biggest issue is one of a mental approach to emotional control that's detrimentally affecting concentration and focus which happens mostly when something 'off course' is creeping in to affect folks general demeanor on course

no doubt supremely talented and gifted player but he needs to look very carefully around him at what's happening and needs to get himself more under control out in play

as for putting can't help feeling he'd do a bunch better reverting to a 'normal' putting hold and working to a stroke/flow not hit/rap technique
would be good to see him back in some shape to contest the Masters - he'll need focus through the whole game and if anything awry with the flat stick for sure will surface on Augusta's greens
but still has the abundant talent to turn it around and win - at the moment though he looks an outside bet

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Sometimes I think Rory feeds a bit of his playing partner(s) and it affects his game. On saturday with Adam Scott, they're playing a round of golf and having a good time; yesterday, he plays with DJ who's having a shocker, being forced to wait for the groups ahead and he's a miserable so & so at the best of times. Had he been playing with AS yesterday, I think he would have been a lot more at ease and likely have picked up the win.