Rory "5 putt" McIlroy

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Said it for years, worst short game of any of the top golfers in the world. By quite some margin too.

Just doesn't look comfortable with a putter in his hands.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watched it, ouch, what a shower. If he could putt I think he’d be THE dominant force in golf. Alas, he cannot.

D

Deleted member 23270

Not the worst short game but yes probably the worst putter out of the top guys.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That was pretty damn awful. He has never looked that comfortable with putter in hand.

I remember one season though, maybe like 2015 or 2016 where his putting stats wern't great but when you looked at where his approach shots were landing he was leaving himself like 60 foot birdie putts. No matter how good a putter you are, leaving yourself that sort of distance from the hole you will be 3 putting a lot and not getting many 1 putts. I think in that case his putting stats were a result of his poor approach play. I remember one incident in particular where he smashed his drive like 330 into the middle of the fairway and had about 80 yards to the pin. Hit his wedge shot to about 75 foot.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Maybe he grew up idolising Westwood?

I agree re short game, seems ok chipping. But Considering how long he hits it, his short approaches seem a lot worse than rivals.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is hard to watch is the 5 putt, like a high handicapper on a Saturday morning but it's similar to Westwood. Watched the highlights last night and he was flying joint leader, just watching the catch up now on day 3 and he's not taking the cut!!!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This can set him back years, if he has the mental strength he will be fine but it will follow him around for a long long time.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh Rory what are you doing mate.

Forget money, big houses, girlfriends, pumping iron, endlessly switching club makers, sponsors , and God knows what else.

Focus on golf!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clearly he’s not the best putter on tour but not as bad as some make out. Watching him this year so far he’s holed a lot of good ones and I was of the opinion he had made progress.

The 5 putt was an aberration. He was miles from the home to start with, deep in three putt country. The real mistake was the third putt which he went to knock in nonchalantly and ended up further away.

Putting is always likely to be his Achilles heel but as long as he has weeks when it’s “on” he’ll still win plenty.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't hear anyone on here saying Jordan Spieth is a rubbish putter, yet by his own admission he isn't putting well at all just now.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Clearly he’s not the best putter on tour but not as bad as some make out. Watching him this year so far he’s holed a lot of good ones and I was of the opinion he had made progress.

The 5 putt was an aberration. He was miles from the home to start with, deep in three putt country. The real mistake was the third putt which he went to knock in nonchalantly and ended up further away.

Putting is always likely to be his Achilles heel but as long as he has weeks when it’s “on” he’ll still win plenty.

I could have written that word for word, totally agree

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has bn out injured . Came back n played twice on european tour finished 3rd and second (i think) first time in a while on pga tour . Its one 5 putt that would skake any golfer . Cpl a 3 putts after .. i think he will win d masters

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Don't hear anyone on here saying Jordan Spieth is a rubbish putter, yet by his own admission he isn't putting well at all just now.

Probably because most accept Spieth is a good putter and will get it right, where as Rory has for someone time been a streaky putter at best.

If Rory started spraying the driver it would be comparable to Spieth having a poor run with the putter as most would expect him to resolve it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cannot get my head around his professional third putt. If I read it right he was putting for eagle having smashed it 340yd. His first putt was a monster. But how he could not drop that second putt within a foot is beyond me. The third putt there was no routine, nothing but there was his fourth and fifth putts.
Poor show and al bet his coaches are doin there heads in. Only endorses the old saying " drive for show, putt for dough".
He will be back though.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cannot get my head around his professional third putt. If I read it right he was putting for eagle having smashed it 340yd. His first putt was a monster. But how he could not drop that second putt within a foot is beyond me. The third putt there was no routine, nothing but there was his fourth and fifth putts.
Poor show and al bet his coaches are doin there heads in. Only endorses the old saying " drive for show, putt for dough".
He will be back though.

He wasn't trying to lag it to a foot - he made a positive attempt to hole that putt. These guys don't dribble 8 footers at the hole the way some amateurs do - they are deliberately hitting them at pace to reduce the break when the ball slows down at the hole.

Third putt was the real mistake, fourth one, yeah he should have holed but at least he approached it properly.

U

User62651

He could got to Steve Stricker and get some advice, like Tiger did a few years ago, often it's just a tiny adjustment needed that reinstills confidence, putting is all about confidence and trust.