Rory "5 putt" McIlroy

D

Deleted member 1147

Said it for years, worst short game of any of the top golfers in the world. By quite some margin too.

Just doesn't look comfortable with a putter in his hands.

What a load of rubbish!

He’s an excellent lag putter, brilliant out of bunkers and a very good chipper of the ball.

He has occasional lapses which lead to too many putts once in a while, and doesn’t always hole as many makeable putts as some.

But otherwise... good effort, but nil points for actual accuracy of statement.

D

Deleted member 15344

He has never been a good putter full stop.

You don’t win what he has or get to the level he has with the records he has broken being a bad Putter

Someone who wins 4 majors must have putted well

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You don’t win what he has or get to the level he has with the records he has broken being a bad Putter

Someone who wins 4 majors must have putted well

The way he plays tee to green on form, is what imo gets him his wins.
Relatively speaking I’d say he’s a poor putter. Obviously we would all love to putt as poorly as he does. But he does worry me more than the rest when more than a couple of feet away.

Just like Westwood, a good lag putter. I don’t think he 2/3 putts more than most. But I’d hazard a guess he 1 putts less than most.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Relatively speaking I’d say he’s a poor putter. Obviously we would all love to putt as poorly as he does. But he does worry me more than the rest when more than a couple of feet away.

Just like Westwood, a good lag putter. I don’t think he 2/3 putts more than most. But I’d hazard a guess he 1 putts less than most.

You bet me to it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry but what gets people the wins is putting the ball in the hole - McIlroy is streaky and he is agressive , when he is on form with the Putter he wins because he gets the ball in the hole , he one putts regularly when that steak is good and in his first two events this year he was putting well , the difference between him and Westwood is that when it came to pressure putting in the Majors McIlroy sank the putts and regularly.

A poor Putter doesn’t win four majors , his first major win he destroyed the field - sinking putts from everywhere , his last two rounds at Kiawah were again another great putting display.

Does he do it week in week out - no not all the time , is it as good as his iron play and driver - no but he isn’t a poor putter.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i agree that rory isn't a great putter but to say he hasn't got short game is insane.

he isn't great at putting. so what. last time i checked its about whats written on the score card. big phil can't hit a fairway. he must be crap?

Last edited:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry but what gets people the wins is putting the ball in the hole - McIlroy is streaky and he is agressive , when he is on form with the Putter he wins because he gets the ball in the hole , he one putts regularly when that steak is good and in his first two events this year he was putting well , the difference between him and Westwood is that when it came to pressure putting in the Majors McIlroy sank the putts and regularly.

A poor Putter doesn’t win four majors , his first major win he destroyed the field - sinking putts from everywhere , his last two rounds at Kiawah were again another great putting display.

Does he do it week in week out - no not all the time , is it as good as his iron play and driver - no but he isn’t a poor putter.

Sorry to burst your bubble but a bad putter can win 4 majors. Rory has

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Rory has in his career had two seasons where he just about was above average. He generally loses shots to the field as a putter. So imo he is a poor putter (relative to other top players).

just like Spieth who’s won majors is imo a poor driver of the ball.

As as you said yourself Rory is a streaky putter. So his winning majors is as much by virtue of him having a good week with the putter as it is that he’s actually a good putter.

I believe eve he will kore beciase he will have another good week or two with the putter. But imo he will have even more rounds where tee to green he impressive but the flat stick lets him down.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Let's just put the last few days down to a bit of bad luck and see how he does tomorrow.

Oh just remembered he probably won't be there tomorrow cos he can't hole a put

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry to burst your bubble but a bad putter can win 4 majors. Rory has

Sorry Bomber but not for the first time and won’t be the last time but you’re wrong - he isn’t a bad putter , he is a professional golfer who has earned millions and won majors putting the ball in the hole - that makes him a good putter , not a great one or the best but not a poor one. Don’t worry Sam no bubble being burst here.

Wonder if the attitude towards him would be different if he was Scottish ?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry Bomber but not for the first time and won’t be the last time but you’re wrong - he isn’t a bad putter , he is a professional golfer who has earned millions and won majors putting the ball in the hole - that makes him a good putter , not a great one or the best but not a poor one. Don’t worry Sam no bubble being burst here.

Wonder if the attitude towards him would be different if he was Scottish ?

So after watching him this week (only 3 days) which is one more than it would have been in a normal event you day he is a good putter. I must be missing something, in fact not just me but about 80% of the posters in this thread.

and don't start all your because he is not Scottish nonsense, why don't you like Tiger is it because he is not the same colour as you ?

grow up Phil you keep playing the Scottish thing at every opertunity. Silly Boy

D

Deleted member 15344

Rory has in his career had two seasons where he just about was above average. He generally loses shots to the field as a putter. So imo he is a poor putter (relative to other top players).

As as you said yourself Rory is a streaky putter. So his winning majors is as much by virtue of him having a good week with the putter as it is that he’s actually a good putter.

I believe eve he will kore beciase he will have another good week or two with the putter. But imo he will have even more rounds where tee to green he impressive but the flat stick lets him down.

I think when it comes to a lot of the Pro Golfers they are all streaky - apart from Woods who spent a decade being consistent week in week out - I think all the pros when they hit the top level the expectations are at a level of consistency that Woods hit - other players can’t and won’t hit it but players that win multiple majors can’t be bad in any area - Spieth isn’t a poor driver , he may not be as good as McIlroy but he isn’t poor - you could prob go through all the pros in the game right now and there will be an area of their game that is prob their weakest but it’s still good enough in the top 100 stats- when McIlroy was winning in 2014 he was in the top 50 in putting stats - that for me suggests a good but not great putter

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think when it comes to a lot of the Pro Golfers they are all streaky - apart from Woods who spent a decade being consistent week in week out - I think all the pros when they hit the top level the expectations are at a level of consistency that Woods hit - other players can’t and won’t hit it but players that win multiple majors can’t be bad in any area - Spieth isn’t a poor driver , he may not be as good as McIlroy but he isn’t poor - you could prob go through all the pros in the game right now and there will be an area of their game that is prob their weakest but it’s still good enough in the top 100 stats- when McIlroy was winning in 2014 he was in the top 50 in putting stats - that for me suggests a good but not great putter

I see your points re Woods confusing expectations. But as you highlight in his peak Rory was in the top 50. That’s an ok putter imo. How may players outside the top 50 do we really consider as competitive on the major stage?

i agree about all the major players having a weakness or weaker part. I think it’s just that to some, myself included Rory’s stands out most. Because tee to green he does so well, his missed putts then seem to stand out as missed opportunities, where as if others aren’t missing chances for birdies but simply putting well to save par then their weaknesses aren’t as clear.

D

Deleted member 1418

So Rory has had 3 months out through injury, gets diagnosed with a dicky ticker, but comes back and could quite easily have had 2 wins from 2 starts. And then has 1 bad experience on one green in a tournament he's never played in before (and therefore on courses he has no experience of) and all the negativity starts!

Yes he's not the greatest putter out there, but with his increased schedule this year I think he's going to be the man to beat at the majors. Let's face it I've heard time and again from most experts - and that's nobody on here - is that if he's on his game then he's the best on tour by some margin.

Let's be honest - we'd all love to be in his position! 😂

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

I know this thread is about Rory's putting but Spieth is definitely not a poor driver of the ball

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
So Rory has had 3 months out through injury, gets diagnosed with a dicky ticker, but comes back and could quite easily have had 2 wins from 2 starts. And then has 1 bad experience on one green in a tournament he's never played in before (and therefore on courses he has no experience of) and all the negativity starts!

Yes he's not the greatest putter out there, but with his increased schedule this year I think he's going to be the man to beat at the majors. Let's face it I've heard time and again from most experts - and that's nobody on here - is that if he's on his game then he's the best on tour by some margin.

Hey we're all experts on here!

D

Deleted member 1418

I know that I'd love to be playing Pebble Beach this evening UK time with my dad than reading and typing a load of drivel on this Forum!!! 😂