Rory "5 putt" McIlroy

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I know this thread is about Rory's putting but Spieth is definitely not a poor driver of the ball

Compared to Rory his is, which was my point.

Going by pga stats. Rory has pretty much always had a better strokes gained from the tee compared to Spieth, in fact by a bigger margin than Spieths putting exceeds Rory’s.

But it was more just an comparison of the perceived strengths.

Although for me, Spieths biggest advantage is his grit.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What a load of rubbish!

He’s an excellent lag putter, brilliant out of bunkers and a very good chipper of the ball.

He has occasional lapses which lead to too many putts once in a while, and doesn’t always hole as many makeable putts as some.

But otherwise... good effort, but nil points for actual accuracy of statement.

Excellent lag putter, clearly wasn't evident yesterday after his excellent first lag putt required a further 4 putts to put the ball in the hole.

Wasn't evident when he 3 putted in Dubai on his way to throwing away that win with other numerous holeable putts missed.

I'm certainly on no "fishing" or "spamming" trip here. As far as I'm concerned Rory has the worst short game out of the top 10 golfers in the world right now. Going by the responses on here I'd suggest numerous others also concur.

Needing someone to get up and down from 100 to save your life I'd pick DJ, Spieth, Thomas, Matsuyama, etc etc ahead of Rory every time.

Only person along with Rory I'd want to avoid is Rose as his putting also isn't great but he has a better short game.

G

guest100718

As an amateur, I'm going into coaching mode.......I'm now a top professional putting coach.

First thing Ror's, after reading the putt I want you to stand off the ball, take a practice stroke exactly how you think the ball should be struck. Then i want you to look at the hole and do the same again, getting a feel for the pace and stroke while looking up and down your chosen line to the hole, imagine the ball going in. Then stand over the ball and strike it into the hole.

My opinion, putting is a feel thing and like a chip you need to feel it before striking it. Forget that.....but he has to change something.

You don’t win what he has or get to the level he has with the records he has broken being a bad Putter

Someone who wins 4 majors must have putted well

you know all his stats will be on the pga website. you can just look how he compares to his peers. or is that to obvious...

D

Deleted member 1147

...As far as I'm concerned Rory has the worst short game out of the top 10 golfers in the world right now. Going by the responses on here I'd suggest numerous others also ...

I don’t disagree with that, but that doesn’t mean he has a poor short game. Just that some have fantastic short games. And generally the one who displays the best one for 4 days will win.
Rory just normally has the better long game.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Going to state the blooming obvious, but all golfers, amateur, pro and social are human, prone to errors of judgement, good days and bad days, everyone has a strength and a weakness. Often a strength one day will be a weakness the next.

Now a pro has fewer lapses than a social golfer, but the number of different pros winning prove that not one player is dominant , no one is machine like , otherwise that person would win by a country mile every time,

So Rory has good days and not so good days with the putter, doesn’t make him a bad putter, just makes him a slightly less good putter than the other blokes on a particular day.

He is a multiple major winner, I wish I was.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wouldn’t read too much into it, the AT&T is a made for tv, warm up event helping the big guns get ready for the important stuff. He won’t worry too much and didn’t seem that concerned. If he gets his putting up to a decent level in comparison to everyone else (probably the best he can hope for) in readiness for the majors it could be a very good year for him on the back of his stellar long game.

G

guest100718

how come this was locked .?
anyway he's certainly not the best putter out there. It would be interesting to look at his putting stats and see how he compares

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t think this 5-putt was down to skill or lack of, clearly he can putt (not like the best in the world but sure top 50) and it’ll probably be ten years (if ever) before he 5-putts in a tournament again

I think it’s a mental issue he has with golf in general (the 3rd putt was rushed or not professional but I’ll suggest that the 4th putt was just missed in his head)

I think his long winter break due to injury was a convenient & plausible reason to lay off golf for a few months to ‘get fit’ but also try to and fall in love with the game again and for me his biggest issue is dealing with adversity (& I don’t mean pressure, I think he can handle pressure as well as anyone)

But when he knows he could be the best on the planet he seems to expect it of himself each week and he just doesn’t handle any misfortune or condition very well that means he’s off the pace. So when his game is on he’ll compete with the best, but knock it a couple of times or give him conditions he’s not comfortable with and it affect his shots

Some might describe the above as a streaky player… the trouble is I don’t think Rory can accept that he’s a streaky player

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Excellent lag putter, clearly wasn't evident yesterday after his excellent first lag putt required a further 4 putts to put the ball in the hole.

Wasn't evident when he 3 putted in Dubai on his way to throwing away that win with other numerous holeable putts missed.

I'm certainly on no "fishing" or "spamming" trip here. As far as I'm concerned Rory has the worst short game out of the top 10 golfers in the world right now. Going by the responses on here I'd suggest numerous others also concur.

Needing someone to get up and down from 100 to save your life I'd pick DJ, Spieth, Thomas, Matsuyama, etc etc ahead of Rory every time.

Only person along with Rory I'd want to avoid is Rose as his putting also isn't great but he has a better short game.

I agree with this. Especially the up and down comment. I think it's as much mental as physical. He seems to have the worst concentration span of the top golfers too. Rory seems to need to be 'in the zone' to get over the line whereas the other can grind out a win.

Also, its worth adding that whilst I wouldn't stake my life on him getting up and down from 100 yards, if I needed someone to hit a towering 4i to a tight flag for it, I'd defo choose him or DJ.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Touted as a change of putter for him this week but looks like mostly just cosmetic differences to last weeks stick or does anyone think it'll behave any differently

Regardless it might be better for him (mentally at least) not to have to wield the Mullen 5 putter this week

D

Deleted member 1418

Think we'll see a different Rory this week. Last week was the first time he'd played in the AT&T, so was unfamiliar with the courses and greens. Add in the fact that it's a Pro-Am and for some a glorified jolly then there's more distractions than at a regular tournament. I saw some of his interview afterwards and he came across to me as someone pretty relaxed - he mentioned his dad enjoying himself a few times - and not too concerned about not playing the final day. So maybe he was using the week to mainly getting used to playing tournament golf again in the US? Apart from his 5 putt he actually played some half-decent stuff.

Anyway given how generally impressive his game was over the 2 events in the Middle East, I think he'll have an excellent season.

And I think he'll thrive today in the company of one of the guys who is being hyped this season..........and of course Tiger!! ;):D

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mcilroy is so frustrating

He is going great then from no where throws in 2 3 putts, one of them from 10 feet.

He needs to stop ramming putts 2 or 3 feet past the hole, he is not good enough at the comeback to do it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Mcilroy is so frustrating

He is going great then from no where throws in 2 3 putts, one of them from 10 feet.

He needs to stop ramming putts 2 or 3 feet past the hole, he is not good enough at the comeback to do it.

According to the PGA website he just missed from inside four feet on consecutive holes. :confused: