Rory "5 putt" McIlroy

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
He wasn't trying to lag it to a foot - he made a positive attempt to hole that putt. These guys don't dribble 8 footers at the hole the way some amateurs do - they are deliberately hitting them at pace to reduce the break when the ball slows down at the hole.

Third putt was the real mistake, fourth one, yeah he should have holed but at least he approached it properly.

FD, once read a book about a golf shrink and the Phycology of golf. He was on about one day he was watching one of the best putters on tour practicing before a round. He asked him a couple of questions. One, why is he practising so much when he is so good. Answer, Because he has always practised that much and that is why he is so good. The second one. Why is he hitting the same distance putts at differant pace from the same spot. This answer, was a bit more lengthy. Some putts he just wants to drop dead. Others he wants to hit through the break. How do you know which is which is which. He answered every putt is differant. For him if there is more break he would try to drop it in. Straighter just ram it home.
Re Rory, where does he stand on that, is he a good enough putter to drop it dead. Or does he have to hit it to take out the break. As mentioned he is not classed as a great putter and for his routine to let him down at that point is poor to say the least.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rory has always been too relaxed over short putts

He needs a situation like this to wake him up and realize don't get complacent on putts under 3 foot.

Nice drive though, when Rory is putting well he will always be contending for the win

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m pretty sure it’s just a one off - he has started the season well putting so it’s more than likely just a blip that won’t have any lasting damage. He seems to have got over the injury and swinging very nicely so can see him having a good year this year challenging for majors

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
333 yards distance
13/14 fairways hit (92.3%)
16/18 greens (88.9%)
38 putts

Just read these stats, when he gets his putting back could be unstoppable.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
jezzzus, I'd be pulling my hair out if I had those putting stats after hitting 16/18 greens, that's horrendous.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
jezzzus, I'd be pulling my hair out if I had those putting stats after hitting 16/18 greens, that's horrendous.

More greens you hit, more putts you will have

If you missing the greens, you more likely to 1 putt as will have less yardage to putt.

Obviously still no excuse for 38 putts!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
As an amateur, I'm going into coaching mode.......I'm now a top professional putting coach.

First thing Ror's, after reading the putt I want you to stand off the ball, take a practice stroke exactly how you think the ball should be struck. Then i want you to look at the hole and do the same again, getting a feel for the pace and stroke while looking up and down your chosen line to the hole, imagine the ball going in. Then stand over the ball and strike it into the hole.

My opinion, putting is a feel thing and like a chip you need to feel it before striking it. Forget that.....but he has to change something.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
More greens you hit, more putts you will have

If you missing the greens, you more likely to 1 putt as will have less yardage to putt.

Obviously still no excuse for 38 putts!

Dress it up anyway you like but his putting is absolutely woeful. He has not won a major since 2014 (I think) and since then he has regressed with his putting and wedge game. This from a man tagged to dominate the game and take over from Tiger Woods. If this wasn't Rory we'd be talking yips here.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dress it up anyway you like but his putting is absolutely woeful. He has not won a major since 2014 (I think) and since then he has regressed with his putting and wedge game. This from a man tagged to dominate the game and take over from Tiger Woods. If this wasn't Rory we'd be talking yips here.

Based on one bad day on the greens ? Maybe going over the top a touch ?

Last year was his first bad year on tour and that was mainly down to not resting an injury - before that he was winning tournaments each year including majors , wgcs and Fed Ex Cup in 2016

He started this season hitting the ball well and also putting well being aggressive on the greens with his putts - he has had one bad day which was mainly one bad green which knocked him a little - he isn’t the first and won’t be the last to have a bit of a mare in one day.

There is no doubt now that he is injury free and everything else settled in his life that he will be up there challenging alongside the rest of them

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's what it'll do to him going forward I'd be more thinking of, psychologically he's gonna have a tough ole time getting over it, hope I'm wrong.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was bad really bad, maybe Bob should send him a free V-Easy anything is worth a try cos he is rank rotten on the greens

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did anyone just see Rory 3 putt from inside 15 feet just now

His first putt was all wrong blasted it way past hole and missed come back.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did anyone just see Rory 3 putt from inside 15 feet just now

His first putt was all wrong blasted it way past hole and missed come back.

Maybe he needs a V-easy or puttout. He seems to be struggling and can't be good for confidence going forward. Could playing on the grainy greens in Abu Dhabi had an influence? Personally I wouldn't have thought so and as a world class player shouldn't he be able to adapt. Surely he'd have had time on the greens this week to learn the pace

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe he needs a V-easy or puttout. He seems to be struggling and can't be good for confidence going forward. Could playing on the grainy greens in Abu Dhabi had an influence? Personally I wouldn't have thought so and as a world class player shouldn't he be able to adapt. Surely he'd have had time on the greens this week to learn the pace

He has never been a good putter full stop.