McIlroy

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It was into a wind, and it looks like a driver and the commentator says “driver for Rory” — I have literally just watched it this afternoon

So? Did Rory hit it full tilt? Did he make perfect contact?

Did you see where the ball landed?

D

Deleted member 1147

Golf, a game of imperfection.
Sometimes People hit shots which aren’t perfect.
I believe a famous golf coach wrote a book based on a similar premise.

Rory is notoriously useless, but only to those who post or talk crap, and seem to know f all about the game, or just like to try wumming!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's the modern game, there's little benefit in trying to learn how to control or flight the ball with modern equipment, just blast it as far as you can!
Now the professionals of yore would had have no problem keeping the ball down or shaping it as required.

Modern golf is just one dimensional. :p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was into a wind, and it looks like a driver and the commentator says “driver for Rory” — I have literally just watched it this afternoon
Rory definitely hit 3 wood on that hole. I distinctly remember watching it and thinking "why have you laid up with 3 wood when you need an eagle you wally?" Before realising that a well hit driver with a forward bounce could have taken him miles too far.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope - it was a Driver - just checked the highlights on the Open YouTube channel

And NLU pod 583 referenced the differing ball flight of Young and Rory (Chris Solomon references it). Yes it hits an upslope as well.

He hit 3 wood , multiple people questioned why he didn’t take driver without realising that he could easily go OB - he hit driver during the Dunhill Links onto the green

evemccc

Visit site
Rory definitely hit 3 wood on that hole. I distinctly remember watching it and thinking "why have you laid up with 3 wood when you need an eagle you wally?" Before realising that a well hit driver with a forward bounce could have taken him miles too far.

Okay, but I have just watched it today and quoted what the commentator said — it’s the Open YouTube channel - every shot of McIlroy and Smith’s final round — it’s about a 48 min long video —- AFAIK it’s a Driver

evemccc

Visit site
He hit 3 wood , multiple people questioned why he didn’t take driver without realising that he could easily go OB - he hit driver during the Dunhill Links onto the green

It’ll take you two mins to check the Open YouTube video — commentator says it’s Driver

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Okay, but I have just watched it today and quoted what the commentator said — it’s the Open YouTube channel - every shot of McIlroy and Smith’s final round — it’s about a 48 min long video —- AFAIK it’s a Driver
He definitely hit 3 wood, you should have seen the discussions on this forum about it! :LOL:

evemccc

Visit site

Touché

Just searched for, and watched a different video on the Open YouTube channel

‘RM’s Biggest Hits 150th Open Champ’
23:23 seconds long video

It distinctly looks like a driver at 22:35 and just before that the comm. says “McIlroy, with the Driver”

It’ll take all of 1 minute to search and find this…?

D

Deleted member 1147

He hit driver, and it hit into an upslope and thus stopped short.
When you look at that fairway from above it's a lottery as to which bounce you get.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's so weird, because at the time, literally everyone was saying he hit 3 wood.

From about this point onwards.

post post

Have to admit it looks like driver on the video so he must not have caught it how he wanted or got incredibly unlucky with the bounce. And apologies to @evemccc mate, I was just stating what I recalled was reported at the time - hence that live feed post I found.

Swango1980

Visit site
Day on the sofa today, watching a lot of golf from the RSG ‘21 Open on YouTube

How is Rory so (relatively…given his position near the very top of the world elite for more than 10 years) bad at links golf, particularly hitting irons or wedges into the wind?

100 yard wedge shots missed the green short, long-iron to the Par 3 11th misses the green short, mid-irons balloon up into the wind ? Thomas Bjorn on comms has referenced it several times and says RM has a very ‘handsy’ swing which contributes to ballooning when the wind is hurting…and he compares is to Morikawa who’s swing is more based on body-turn. Says he must be doing better at flighting the ball…how does he not know how to do it - or not do it as well as most other competing golfers?

His tee shots with the driver shows a much higher ball-flight apex than Justin Thomas, Cam Smith, Reed and Fleetwood also. It’s actually shocking how relatively bad he is into the wind for someone who grew-up in N Ireland and is objectively so good at golf!

Edit…just checked his tee shot at 18 in the 150th Open where he needed a birdie…his ball flight is significantly higher than his PP….yet into the breeze?!?
You do realise he hasn't spent much of his professional life playing links golf? I grew up In N Ireland, I am shocking playing golf in the wind.

1. His natural game may not be best suited to windy golf. We all have our natural swings and shot shapes, whether we be professionals or amateurs. Maybe his natural game is just not best suited to links golf, other pros are?
2. Is he relatively as bad as thought? After all, the TV coverage will have him right in the spotlight at every tournament, and so we get to see his good days, and his awful days. There are a lot of other golfers that we will only really see when they play well and get in contention, but we see nothing off when they miss a cut by miles.

I suspect both points are relevant to a degree.

sunshine

Visit site
Don't know why everyone is laying into evemaccc.

- Rory is a brilliant golfer, incredible ball striker, world no1, multiple winner.
- He has a high ball flight. This is an advantage 95% of the time. It makes sense he builds his practice and training around hitting the towering high shots.
- Rory has a track record of shooting low scores in calm conditions at the Open but has struggled relative to others when it's windy.
- I would expect someone as talented as him to be able to practice a knock down shot in the build up to the Open, execute it when required, then go back to normal ball flight.

Maybe it's a confidence thing, he feels more comfortable going with the high shot he has executed thousands of times. But I've seen him play a low punch under trees many times on the PGA tour so I know he has the shot in his locker.