McIlroy

evemccc

Visit site
Day on the sofa today, watching a lot of golf from the RSG ‘21 Open on YouTube

How is Rory so (relatively…given his position near the very top of the world elite for more than 10 years) bad at links golf, particularly hitting irons or wedges into the wind?

100 yard wedge shots missed the green short, long-iron to the Par 3 11th misses the green short, mid-irons balloon up into the wind ? Thomas Bjorn on comms has referenced it several times and says RM has a very ‘handsy’ swing which contributes to ballooning when the wind is hurting…and he compares is to Morikawa who’s swing is more based on body-turn. Says he must be doing better at flighting the ball…how does he not know how to do it - or not do it as well as most other competing golfers?

His tee shots with the driver shows a much higher ball-flight apex than Justin Thomas, Cam Smith, Reed and Fleetwood also. It’s actually shocking how relatively bad he is into the wind for someone who grew-up in N Ireland and is objectively so good at golf!

Edit…just checked his tee shot at 18 in the 150th Open where he needed a birdie…his ball flight is significantly higher than his PP….yet into the breeze?!?

D

Deleted member 15344

Day on the sofa today, watching a lot of golf from the RSG ‘21 Open on YouTube

How is Rory so (relatively…given his position near the very top of the world elite for more than 10 years) bad at links golf, particularly hitting irons or wedges into the wind?

100 yard wedge shots missed the green short, long-iron to the Par 3 11th misses the green short, mid-irons balloon up into the wind ? Thomas Bjorn on comms has referenced it several times and says RM has a very ‘handsy’ swing which contributes to ballooning when the wind is hurting…and he compares is to Morikawa who’s swing is more based on body-turn. Says he must be doing better at flighting the ball…how does he not know how to do it - or not do it as well as most other competing golfers?

His tee shots with the driver shows a much higher ball-flight apex than Justin Thomas, Cam Smith, Reed and Fleetwood also. It’s actually shocking how relatively bad he is into the wind for someone who grew-up in N Ireland and is objectively so good at golf!

Edit…just checked his tee shot at 18 in the 150th Open where he needed a birdie…his ball flight is significantly higher than his PP….yet into the breeze?!?

They play one maybe two links events every year - the majority of their yearly golf is on parkland golf courses including 3 majors , he will be basing most of his golf game around the type of courses he plays each week

His ball flight is perfect for those type of courses and he has spent a lot of time improving that part so that he can be more successful

evemccc

Visit site
They play one maybe two links events every year - the majority of their yearly golf is on parkland golf courses including 3 majors , he will be basing most of his golf game around the type of courses he plays each week

His ball flight is perfect for those type of courses and he has spent a lot of time improving that part so that he can be more successful

Yes I fully understand that. But is that not equally true for Justin Thomas and Pat Reed? It is true for all pros who play mostly on the PGA Tour.

I’m not even a fan of them (though I do like Cam Smith) in fact I would rather most other pro golfers were to win tournaments far more than Thomas and Reed. But those golfers vary their ball flight apex height more than Rory based on the wind hurting or helping

Anyway, it’s significant enough of an obviously higher trajectory for Bjorn and the other commentator (American with kind of a speech impediment /lisp) to highlight it in their commentary several times

It’s Day 1 of RSG OPEN full broadcast - Open YouTube channel if you want to verify and if anyone thinks I’m ‘hating on’ Rory

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes I fully understand that. But is that not equally true for Justin Thomas and Pat Reed? It is true for all pros who play mostly on the PGA Tour.

I’m not even a fan, in fact I would rather most other pro golfers were to win tournaments far more than Thomas and Reed

Anyway, it’s significant enough of an obviously higher trajectory for Bjorn and the other commentator (American with kind of a speech impediment /lisp) to highlight it in their commentary several times

Number of majors won on a links course

Bjorn , Thomas , Reed - zero

McIlroy - 1

He is not a bad player of links golf , think he still has the lowest round in the Open - a 63 ( or did Grace beat it )

evemccc

Visit site
Number of majors won on a links course

Bjorn , Thomas , Reed - zero

McIlroy - 1

He is not a bad player of links golf , think he still has the lowest round in the Open - a 63 ( or did Grace beat it )

You’ve omitted the essential part of what I said — what I explicitly emphasised — he’s not relatively good at flighting wedges and irons in the wind AND he has a significantly higher ball flight into the wind than other elite golfers

The overwhelming point I’ve made is that he’s not great into the wind

That shouldn’t be controversial

I seriously think you just want to conjure-up what others have said to manufacture arguments — no wonder this forum has gone to the proverbial

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean, he has a higher ball flight. Which is an advantage in 98% of the courses he plays during the year. It’s simply not worth trying to change your ball flight for 2 weeks a year.

evemccc

Visit site
I've read it.. it was painful and utter drivel

Wonderfully enlightening

You must not think he is an objectively elite golfer at the very top for the last 10 years, and must think he hits a lower ball flight than most other pros into the wind then????????

Berk

D

Deleted member 15344

You’ve omitted the essential part of what I said — what I explicitly emphasised — he’s not relatively good at flighting wedges and irons in the wind AND he has a significantly higher ball flight into the wind than other elite golfers

The overwhelming point I’ve made is that he’s not great into the wind

That shouldn’t be controversial

I seriously think you just want to conjure-up what others have said to manufacture arguments — no wonder this forum has gone to the proverbial

No one said it was controversial more the fact for someone who you believe isn’t great into wind because he has a high ball flight has managed to win a major on a links course - and you highlighted other players with a lower flight who haven’t won a major on a links course ?‍♂️

You have started a thread and posted an opinion - did you not expect people to challenge that ?‍♂️

evemccc

Visit site
I mean, he has a higher ball flight. Which is an advantage in 98% of the courses he plays during the year. It’s simply not worth trying to change your ball flight for 2 weeks a year.

Fine.

Justin Thomas, Cam Smith, Pat Reed varied it though at RSG based on if they were into or with the wind..(holes change direction each hole, not an out and back lay-out)

evemccc

Visit site
No one said it was controversial more the fact for someone who you believe isn’t great into wind because he has a high ball flight has managed to win a major on a links course - and you highlighted other players with a lower flight who haven’t won a major on a links course ?‍♂️

You have started a thread and posted an opinion - did you not expect people to challenge that ?‍♂️

From memory Hoylake in 2014 wasn’t particularly windy tho?

I’m just re-laying what several commentators noticed. I then looked at his flight apex compared to his PP and other golfers playing at the time

I’ve watched the 2022 Open last round and despite being one of the very longest hitters RM didn’t make the green yet the other guy Cameron Young(?) eagled it and out drive him….it’s possibly because his ball flight, which is corroborating what these comms have said and what I can see from watching Day 1 of the RSG Open

evemccc

Visit site
And in English...??

Utter nonsense and the only Berk here is you...

You arrogantly said my post was ‘utter drivel’ — I said that in my post Rory was objectively elite and had been for 10 years —- so I take it you don’t agree with that?

You’re on ignore

D

Deleted member 15344

From memory Hoylake in 2014 wasn’t particularly windy tho?

I’m just re-laying what several commentators noticed. I then looked at his flight apex compared to his PP and other golfers playing at the time

I’ve watched the 2022 Open last round and despite being one of the very longest hitters RM didn’t make the green yet the other guy Cameron Young(?) eagled it and out drive him….it’s possibly because his ball flight, which is corroborating what these comms have said and what I can see from watching Day 1 of the RSG Open

Rory hit a 3 wood into the last at St Andrews and hit low but it was killed by landing straight into an upslope which killed the shot , Young landed on a downslope which kicked it forward- both shots had nothing to do with the height on them.

And Hoylake was far from a still week with the wind blowing quite a lot on the Friday and Saturday

evemccc

Visit site
Rory hit a 3 wood into the last at St Andrews and hit low but it was killed by landing straight into an upslope which killed the shot , Young landed on a downslope which kicked it forward- both shots had nothing to do with the height on them.

And Hoylake was far from a still week with the wind blowing quite a lot on the Friday and Saturday

Nope - it was a Driver - just checked the highlights on the Open YouTube channel

And NLU pod 583 referenced the differing ball flight of Young and Rory (Chris Solomon references it). Yes it hits an upslope as well.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Nope - it was a Driver - just checked the highlights on the Open YouTube channel

And NLU pod 583 referenced the differing ball flight of Young and Rory (Chris Solomon references it). Yes it hits an upslope as well.

Did you notice where the ball first landed?

If Rory hit a driver full tilt on 18 it would go OB over the back of the green.

evemccc

Visit site
Did you notice where the ball first landed?

If Rory hit a driver full tilt on 18 it would go OB over the back of the green.

It was into a wind, and it looks like a driver and the commentator says “driver for Rory” — I have literally just watched it this afternoon