McIlroy

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
since 2010 McIlroy's Open results are

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
T3, T25, T60, MC, 1, DNS, T5, T4, T2, MC, cancelled, T46, T3

so in 11 starts, he has been top 5 six times winning once, that's a pretty good rate of return, and not I would say the results of a poor links player.

Yes he does have a naturally high ball flight, but he can hit low shots. I don't believe that over half the Opens he has played in have been calm all four days.

Why did he not not play well in the event the OP is talking about, could he be he just didn't hit the shots well, even the best professionals hit poor shots and have bad rounds, I've seen Spieth shank into the water, and JT top the ball, what we are talking about it mm of different probably between coming up short and being perfect.

I don't see him as poor links player, maybe not as naturally suited as say Fleetwood, but just look at McIlroy's links records I would reckon that stands up to pretty much anyones

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know why everyone is laying into evemaccc.

- Rory is a brilliant golfer, incredible ball striker, world no1, multiple winner.
- He has a high ball flight. This is an advantage 95% of the time. It makes sense he builds his practice and training around hitting the towering high shots.
- Rory has a track record of shooting low scores in calm conditions at the Open but has struggled relative to others when it's windy.
- I would expect someone as talented as him to be able to practice a knock down shot in the build up to the Open, execute it when required, then go back to normal ball flight.

Maybe it's a confidence thing, he feels more comfortable going with the high shot he has executed thousands of times. But I've seen him play a low punch under trees many times on the PGA tour so I know he has the shot in his locker.
Don't you know it's sacrilege to dare criticise the great Rory on here? His army of defenders will shoot you down in flames.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
since 2010 McIlroy's Open results are

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
T3, T25, T60, MC, 1, DNS, T5, T4, T2, MC, cancelled, T46, T3

so in 11 starts, he has been top 5 six times winning once, that's a pretty good rate of return, and not I would say the results of a poor links player.

Yes he does have a naturally high ball flight, but he can hit low shots. I don't believe that over half the Opens he has played in have been calm all four days.

Why did he not not play well in the event the OP is talking about, could he be he just didn't hit the shots well, even the best professionals hit poor shots and have bad rounds, I've seen Spieth shank into the water, and JT top the ball, what we are talking about it mm of different probably between coming up short and being perfect.

I don't see him as poor links player, maybe not as naturally suited as say Fleetwood, but just look at McIlroy's links records I would reckon that stands up to pretty much anyones

That Open record is significantly better than his US Open, and USPGA performance in the same period. Majors that, if Rory struggles with links or wind, might be considered ones that play to his strength of length and high flight and stop.
So looks more like, even by his standards, links plays to his strength, not away from.