Room design

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats the current whole house! Woodchip in the 70s or before and painted and painted ever since. Vile vile stuff (Only one room and the hallway to go lol)
Have you tried cross scoring with a scraper, then a steam stripper? Once you get going it should come off quite easily.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Have you tried cross scoring with a scraper, then a steam stripper? Once you get going it should come off quite easily.
The theory is sound, but if there's 5 layers of thick paint, it still really struggles to get through, or you steam too heavily and start taking plaster off too. Well, that's what I found! 🤦🏻‍♂️

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Scoring it heavily, using paper stripper and a sharp scraper gets the top half off eventually, then steam and scrape to get the rest off. Dust woodchip and noxious fumes all for free lol. Having tried many ways that seems the best approach but none of it has "come off quite easily" sadly

Thankfully nice and sunny here currently so in the garden not the house, on the downside lost to the pyracantha again :)

Bratty

Visit site
Scoring it heavily, using paper stripper and a sharp scraper gets the top half off eventually, then steam and scrape to get the rest off. Dust woodchip and noxious fumes all for free lol. Having tried many ways that seems the best approach but none of it has "come off quite easily" sadly

Thankfully nice and sunny here currently so in the garden not the house, on the downside lost to the pyracantha again :)
No-one ever beats the pyracantha!!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The theory is sound, but if there's 5 layers of thick paint, it still really struggles to get through, or you steam too heavily and start taking plaster off too. Well, that's what I found! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yes for sure, but sometimes the plaster can be blown and would need to come off anyway. Obviously it needs to be done with care, so eventually, jobs a good 'un! 👍

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
After a lot of back and forth the missus and I have decided to go with the original idea of turning the dining room into the living room. It’s such a better space and with a better door between that and the kitchen we can have it either open or properly separated.
The current living room will be where the missus can have her office, I’ll also probably move my gaming area into that room as well, not sure if that leaves enough room for a pool table though 🤣

Bratty

Visit site
After a lot of back and forth the missus and I have decided to go with the original idea of turning the dining room into the living room. It’s such a better space and with a better door between that and the kitchen we can have it either open or properly separated.
The current living room will be where the missus can have her office, I’ll also probably move my gaming area into that room as well, not sure if that leaves enough room for a pool table though 🤣
Are you getting an architect to take a look, or are you going to ask all of us again? 🤣🤣

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you getting an architect to take a look, or are you going to ask all of us again? 🤣🤣

Ha ha, this room is a much simpler job, rip down an old fake fireplace thing, a few sockets, maybe add an another radiator etc.
Main problem is all the walls and ceiling have artex which I’m told may have asbestos in it so I need someone in to look at it. There’s no structural work as such to do thankfully 👍

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha ha, this room is a much simpler job, rip down an old fake fireplace thing, a few sockets, maybe add an another radiator etc.
Main problem is all the walls and ceiling have artex which I’m told may have asbestos in it so I need someone in to look at it. There’s no structural work as such to do thankfully 👍
Until the walls and ceilings are stripped ;)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Skim over the top of the artex, I’m doing this to my work flat 👍🏻

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one for @GreiginFife i think 🤣
We’re finally getting a guy in to skim over the room which will become our new living room. My surround system is currently using some cheap Tannoy speakers although I did cheekily pick up a beastly SVS PB 1000 subwoofer recently 👀
Im after 5 speakers to match this sub without breaking the bank, hopefully well under £1000 for the room, what would sir recommend?
I saw some on What Hi Fi called Dali Spektor 2, I reckon I could get 4 surround and 1 centre speaker well within budget, would they be a good match?
AVR is a Denon 1600H btw 👍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another one for @GreiginFife i think 🤣
We’re finally getting a guy in to skim over the room which will become our new living room. My surround system is currently using some cheap Tannoy speakers although I did cheekily pick up a beastly SVS PB 1000 subwoofer recently 👀
Im after 5 speakers to match this sub without breaking the bank, hopefully well under £1000 for the room, what would sir recommend?
I saw some on What Hi Fi called Dali Spektor 2, I reckon I could get 4 surround and 1 centre speaker well within budget, would they be a good match?
AVR is a Denon 1600H btw 👍

TBH you'll struggle to match that sub as it is a beast indeed.

The answer depends on what style of speakers you want. Tannoy are still nice speakers btw :).

Do you want 4 stand mounts and a centre? Or 2 floorstands, 2 stand mounts and centre? Or do you want bookshelf sized?

Dali Spektors are good (most Dali kit is decent), although the 2 series is realistically a satellite type speaker. You might struggle in the mids (no need to worry about bass with the SVS). Will you be listening to music at all?

Have you considered custom? ;)