Room design

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our electrician had informed us that because we have an open fire in our lounge (it could equally have been a gas fire or wood burner), we have to have a carbon monoxide monitor/alarm installed in the room. He advises this is recent legislation but I can only find where it applies to rental properties.

He also advises that all smoke and co monitors/alarms have to be mains powered, battery powered no longer allowed, and that they are all interconnected - one goes off they all go off. I am assuming he is correct in all of this. Requires a fair bit of cabling up as well as us having a co monitor/alarm on out lounge ceiling…something not exactly fitting with our design concept.

Maybe all of this comes about as he is basically rewiring as well as extending most of the downstairs; doing a couple of additional sockets upstairs as well as the smoke monitor, plus changes to the cabling for our garage and garden studio which was piggy-backing off what was our immersion fuse. And to accommodate all or this he is having to put in a new and larger consumer unit.

As per backwoodsman - this is a requirement in Scotland

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think he’s getting a bit confused with private residence and the social sector…

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

However it’s all good advice and there to protect you and yours. Ask if he can go for the radio linked type, it cuts out all the interlinking wiring.

Re the consumer unit, make sure he fits a surge protection device (SPD) that IS legislation, and ask for a RCBO type board, much better than the dual RCD type.
He’s now done the interlinking wiring for all the smoke alarms…not that much of a deal given the amount of new and re-wiring he’s doing. And it does seem worthwhile just getting a CO monitor/alarm fitted in our lounge, legislative requirement or not. I’ll ask about the new consumer unit and SPD.

Thanks for the guidance provided guys…👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He’s now done the interlinking wiring for all the smoke alarms…not that much of a deal given the amount of new and re-wiring he’s doing. And it does seem worthwhile just getting a CO monitor/alarm fitted in our lounge, legislative requirement or not. I’ll ask about the new consumer unit and SPD.

Thanks for the guidance provided guys…👍
I checked…SPD being fitted and RCBO 👍

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our electrician had informed us that because we have an open fire in our lounge (it could equally have been a gas fire or wood burner), we have to have a carbon monoxide monitor/alarm installed in the room. He advises this is recent legislation but I can only find where it applies to rental properties.

He also advises that all smoke and co monitors/alarms have to be mains powered, battery powered no longer allowed, and that they are all interconnected - one goes off they all go off. I am assuming he is correct in all of this. Requires a fair bit of cabling up as well as us having a co monitor/alarm on out lounge ceiling…something not exactly fitting with our design concept.

Maybe all of this comes about as he is basically rewiring as well as extending most of the downstairs; doing a couple of additional sockets upstairs as well as the smoke monitor, plus changes to the cabling for our garage and garden studio which was piggy-backing off what was our immersion fuse. And to accommodate all or this he is having to put in a new and larger consumer unit.

Has your chimney sweep not previously told you that you must have a carbon monoxide monitor?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I once had a two up, two down that the previous owners had painted a few times... over woodchip wallpaper. 5 times from what I could tell! The steamer struggled to get under the 2nd layer, let alone the 5th and at least one layer was gloss!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I once had a two up, two down that the previous owners had painted a few times... over woodchip wallpaper. 5 times from what I could tell! The steamer struggled to get under the 2nd layer, let alone the 5th and at least one layer was gloss!

Thats the current whole house! Woodchip in the 70s or before and painted and painted ever since. Vile vile stuff (Only one room and the hallway to go lol)