Room design

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know you was thinking about getting a log burner a while ago, did you get any quotes? I finally got mine installed last Nov and it’s been wonderful. Could you get one installed then get rid of the Rad? Make a feature of the chimney wall with Brick Slips. It will be a real focal point of the room.

For the current living room to work I’m assuming we would have to block the fireplace so a log burner wouldn’t fit anywhere else. Bit of a shame as it would have looked superb.
I got as far as asking a friend to do the roof work and getting prices for the stove and install kit but we didn’t commit in the end.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
For the current living room to work I’m assuming we would have to block the fireplace so a log burner wouldn’t fit anywhere else. Bit of a shame as it would have looked superb.
I got as far as asking a friend to do the roof work and getting prices for the stove and install kit but we didn’t commit in the end.

Re the bold bit, do you mean unblock?

If the Chimney is open but capped off it could be opened up and a liner installed, on the top they would fit about 1M of twin wall flue and jobs a goodun.

Installing the old Amish TV was one of the best things we have done.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re the bold bit, do you mean unblock?

If the Chimney is open but capped off it could be opened up and a liner installed, on the top they would fit about 1M of twin wall flue and jobs a goodun.

Installing the old Amish TV was one of the best things we have done.

Sorry yes, it currently has an electric fire thing in there, I’d have to remove it so see what’s behind, I then expected to have to board over the opening. I guess having it open but tarted up (even without a stove) would look really nice…hmm?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Be careful with wood burning stoves, as I get the inpression there's more and more restrictions coming about what can and can't be burned!
Also, island units in kitchens: I cannot stress enough the importance of ensuring you have more than adequate space and you're not getting an island because they're cool, toure getting it because there's acres of space and it serves a proper purpose.
I've lost count of the number of kitchens I've seen where an island actually ruins the flow and accessibility of the whole kitchen!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be careful with wood burning stoves, as I get the inpression there's more and more restrictions coming about what can and can't be burned!
Also, island units in kitchens: I cannot stress enough the importance of ensuring you have more than adequate space and you're not getting an island because they're cool, toure getting it because there's acres of space and it serves a proper purpose.
I've lost count of the number of kitchens I've seen where an island actually ruins the flow and accessibility of the whole kitchen!

Peninsulars > islands in the majority of kitchens imho

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sorry yes, it currently has an electric fire thing in there, I’d have to remove it so see what’s behind, I then expected to have to board over the opening. I guess having it open but tarted up (even without a stove) would look really nice…hmm?

If it is an electric fire I would be gobsmacked if it was not a coal fire built back in the 50’s. They were still very much a necessity back in the day. It would massively warm the room.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Seriously it’s a game changer, then like golf you can buy lots of things you never thought you needed! I’m now the proud owner of a Chainsaw, a kindling hatchet, a Maul, a log splitter and 3 log stores!?

35A3D863-A5D6-4A30-BF32-4E496521B50F.jpeg8E629D03-842C-42DA-BC77-F41F985A7BB9.jpeg3D9F4137-9809-4600-B268-1EA3B627CBEA.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On kitchen islands 100%?.

We looked at whether we could have one for our new kitchen given we most certainly had room for one. But when we looked at the disrupted flow and restricted circulation around what we might do, we disregarded it. Instead we’ve gone for a short peninsula that gives as the living area ‘facing‘ worktop space and under-worktop seating we were really after.

We’ve got multiple friends with big islands, and they do big them up, but in truth some are either just too big and not really used, or take up too much space in a restricted room knackering flow.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seriously it’s a game changer, then like golf you can buy lots of things you never thought you needed! I’m now the proud owner of a Chainsaw, a kindling hatchet, a Maul, a log splitter and 3 log stores!?

View attachment 46193View attachment 46194View attachment 46195
My Mrs was keen on a brick slip wall on a wall of our new extension, but as nice as they might look she’s decided that it won’t fit with the cool and uncluttered look she wants. Have to say that yours looks nice and works with the woodburner. Again we could have one of these but have decided against on kitchen-living style grounds plus we have an original working open fire in our front room - the room we are keeping in period (Arts and Crafts) style.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a wallpaper steamer and I've started stripping the hallway wallpaper, below the dado rail has painted lining paper some of which goes behind a couple radiators.
Quick poll, do I remove it or just paint over the top?

Bratty

Visit site
I bought a wallpaper steamer and I've started stripping the hallway wallpaper, below the dado rail has painted lining paper some of which goes behind a couple radiators.
Quick poll, do I remove it or just paint over the top?
I would always remove it if I had the time and dependent on the paint already on it.
If it's a similar colour and doesn't feel like hundreds of coats, then you might get away with painting over it. If it feels solid (ie layers of paint) or is darker paint, get rid. Behind radiators is a whole other pain in the butt! ?
And why were we not consulted on this latest round of work? Paint or wallpaper? Colours? You might have made a mistake there, mate! ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would always remove it if I had the time and dependent on the paint already on it.
If it's a similar colour and doesn't feel like hundreds of coats, then you might get away with painting over it. If it feels solid (ie layers of paint) or is darker paint, get rid. Behind radiators is a whole other pain in the butt! ?
And why were we not consulted on this latest round of work? Paint or wallpaper? Colours? You might have made a mistake there, mate! ?

:ROFLMAO:
We've decided on white above and dove grey below, still undecided whether to paint the dado white or grey, I'm leaning towards grey :unsure:

Bratty

Visit site
We've decided on white above and dove grey below, still undecided whether to paint the dado white or grey, I'm leaning towards grey :unsure:
Why would you ask us that? Are you mad? You'll get all sorts of answers! Next time, just PM me, for a whole load of sensible suggestions! ?
Dulux light and space frosted dawn is a lovely matt white paint which bounces light off the surface. I would agree grey for the dado rail.
This is my favourite thread on here at the moment!

Tashyboy

Visit site

We had Dado rail put up in the last century and when MiL saw it she remarked it looked nice.I told her the Dildo rail was free from my brother who is a Joiner. Next time she came round she asked if my brother could get her any Dildo rail. ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Why would you ask us that? Are you mad? You'll get all sorts of answers! Next time, just PM me, for a whole load of sensible suggestions! ?
Dulux light and space frosted dawn is a lovely matt white paint which bounces light off the surface. I would agree grey for the dado rail.
This is my favourite thread on here at the moment!
Surely it has to be silk, easy to wipe with those BBQ splashes n the wall.?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At last minute last night builder informs us that he’s bringing his electrician round this morning to discuss what we need for our new kitchen-living area. We have discussed this briefly but not sure what can be done for zoning and how it can be made to work, and such things as TV and speakers location. We‘ll see.