Room design

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The French doors are south facing so we get it through those.

Would keep the workstation towards the window end then (especially if a pc screen) and have the sofa facing towards the french doors. If removing the chimney breast was an (expensive) option then Id most likely flip the room so that the sofa was on the long (ex chimney wall) and you walked into the space more than round it as you will. Size and shape of sofa also a factor and whether any other arm chairs etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a personal level with a South facing garden I would like to be sitting on the sofa looking out over the garden and not base my sitting on looking at the TV.

Think diagonal viewing with the tv in the in a corner next to the french doors.

Radiators in a house often decide where furniture is located. I would be thinking in terms of fitting vertical rads to minimise the amount of space they need.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You’re just trying to cost me even more money aren’t you ?

We have several vertical rads in our house. All bought from Trade Radiators (their own range) and I think the most expensive is the big living room one which is 1800 high by 522 wide double panel. It was around £300 but saves a lot of space and gives off good heat. Average cost was around £130 per rad, all double panel.

yandabrown

Visit site
If we are spending other people's money then consider a ceiling projector and a screen that comes down in front of the French Windows when needed and disappears leaving the garden view from the sofa under the other window. Put the table in the alcove top right of the picture so that there is natural light but is out of the way.

This is much better than spending my money (or mrs Y doing it for me :D)

CountLippe

Visit site
Moving the radiator under the window will improve the energy efficiency rather than being trapped behind a sofa. If you need to the keep the french doors, think about blocking up the existing door. This long bottom wall can then be the focal point rather than the top wall which is restricted by the chimney breast.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Moving the radiator under the window will improve the energy efficiency rather than being trapped behind a sofa. If you need to the keep the french doors, think about blocking up the existing door. This long bottom wall can then be the focal point rather than the top wall which is restricted by the chimney breast.
And have to go outside every time to get in and out of the room? What sort of madness is that? :eek::unsure:

CountLippe

Visit site
And have to go outside every time to get in and out of the room? What sort of madness is that? :eek::unsure:

I was assuming they were internal doors to the dining room. If not, you're pretty limited in what you can do with the room without major structural alteration.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Well, if we're spending other people's money, have a hydrolic arm mechanism which folds into the alcove with the TV on it. Samsung Frame means you can pretend it's a picture. Then when you want to watch TV, pull it out from the alcove and over the chimney breast. Then hide away again when not in use.
Make sure it can raise and lower too, so as a picture, it's higher, as a TV, lower.
Job done!
Just the cables to worry about! ?