Room design

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
TBH you'll struggle to match that sub as it is a beast indeed.

The answer depends on what style of speakers you want. Tannoy are still nice speakers btw :).

Do you want 4 stand mounts and a centre? Or 2 floorstands, 2 stand mounts and centre? Or do you want bookshelf sized?

Dali Spektors are good (most Dali kit is decent), although the 2 series is realistically a satellite type speaker. You might struggle in the mids (no need to worry about bass with the SVS). Will you be listening to music at all?

Have you considered custom? ;)

Why do you have to complicate things 🤣
It will be tv and movies 99% of the time I imagine, the missus may listen to a bit of music but not a lot.
Not really thought about the set up yet, off the top of my head most configs could work but I’d definitely need the rears mounted on the wall somehow. Floorstanding front speakers would look nice mind 🤔

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you have to complicate things 🤣
It will be tv and movies 99% of the time I imagine, the missus may listen to a bit of music but not a lot.
Not really thought about the set up yet, off the top of my head most configs could work but I’d definitely need the rears mounted on the wall somehow. Floorstanding front speakers would look nice mind 🤔
Getting the right set up from an aesthetics POV as well as sonic is important :D (especially if you have an "external voice" to tell you that your superbly balanced audio arena looks horrendous!)

Wall mounting can be as easy as a small, light bookshelf unit on an adjustable bracket. Or it can be a specific wall mountable unit (like Q Acoustic Q7000 series for example).

Floor stands do look nice, but then a nice set of stands can work just as well.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Getting the right set up from an aesthetics POV as well as sonic is important :D (especially if you have an "external voice" to tell you that your superbly balanced audio arena looks horrendous!)

Wall mounting can be as easy as a small, light bookshelf unit on an adjustable bracket. Or it can be a specific wall mountable unit (like Q Acoustic Q7000 series for example).

Floor stands do look nice, but then a nice set of stands can work just as well.

I’m even more confused now 🤦‍♂️
You were just supposed to say yeah get those speakers 🤣

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m even more confused now 🤦‍♂️
You were just supposed to say yeah get those speakers 🤣
In seriousness, if you like the Spektors then I would suggest going with the 2's at the front (possibly on stands) and go down to a set of 1's for the rears. Will save you some bucks.
Spektor Vokal was the centre I assume?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
In seriousness, if you like the Spektors then I would suggest going with the 2's at the front (possibly on stands) and go down to a set of 1's for the rears. Will save you some bucks.
Spektor Vokal was the centre I assume?

Yes that’s the idea, thing is I don’t want the rear speakers to be massive as they will be behind the sofa where you’ll be able to walk. I need to make a diagram with the layout and sizes.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes that’s the idea, thing is I don’t want the rear speakers to be massive as they will be behind the sofa where you’ll be able to walk. I need to make a diagram with the layout and sizes.
That's why I recommended the Spektor 1's for the rear. Small bookshelf type.

I had £90 Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's as my rear's for ages and they were superb.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's why I recommended the Spektor 1's for the rear. Small bookshelf type.

I had £90 Wharfedale Diamond 9.0's as my rear's for ages and they were superb.

Funny you should say that, I have a pair Diamond 9.1 speakers packed away (been using them with my turntable/hi fi amp) I considered using them in my tv setup but thought I’d struggle to get other speakers to match.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny you should say that, I have a pair Diamond 9.1 speakers packed away (been using them with my turntable/hi fi amp) I considered using them in my tv setup but thought I’d struggle to get other speakers to match.
And there you have the purely audio versus aesthetics right there ;). I had Tannoy Mercury V4's as my fronts and a Tannoy DC as my centre. None matched visually but sound wise it was superbly balanced.

Then HID insisted that they needed to match, and the couch was being moved back against the wall... And so I ended up with KEF T301's all round.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Soooo the plasterers are starting tomorrow to skim the walls and board the ceiling to hide that horrible artex. I need inspiration for paint and flooring colour.
As I think I’ve already said it’s south facing so already quite a light room, it’s 4.9M x 3.4M in dimensions 🤔

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Soooo the plasterers are starting tomorrow to skim the walls and board the ceiling to hide that horrible artex. I need inspiration for paint and flooring colour.
As I think I’ve already said it’s south facing so already quite a light room, it’s 4.9M x 3.4M in dimensions 🤔
A) I want photos while this work is being done for before and after!!
B) Dulux Light and Space Frosted Dawn on walls and ceilings. No need to do different on each.
Colour for the walls can come from curtains and pictures.
For skirting, normal gloss white (oil based lasts longer but can discolour in sunny rooms; water based more delicate but retains its colour better.
C) Would need reminded what the room is going to be (I think living room?) before I can comment on flooring.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A) I want photos while this work is being done for before and after!!
B) Dulux Light and Space Frosted Dawn on walls and ceilings. No need to do different on each.
Colour for the walls can come from curtains and pictures.
For skirting, normal gloss white (oil based lasts longer but can discolour in sunny rooms; water based more delicate but retains its colour better.
C) Would need reminded what the room is going to be (I think living room?) before I can comment on flooring.

A) I’ll try and remember in the morning.
B) Thanks I’ll check them out 👍
C) Yes a living room which was the old dining room. It is connected to the kitchen by some crappy old double doors, next big project will be the kitchen but that’s a good year or two away.

Bratty

Visit site
I’ve found a photo from when we bought the house, that horrible fake fireplace was great fun to remove 😱🤣
View attachment 48468
This is from the kitchen door looking south, the patio doors are getting replaced with French doors.
Screenshot_20230710_220237_Photos.jpg
My old house had this in the dining room that I always loved. You could do something similar in yours.
That is one fugly fireplace, mate! 🤣

Bratty

Visit site
One thing you could do while that room is bare would be to fit pocket sliding doors into the kitchen. That way, there's no compromise of space in either room.
Or fit wooden bi-fold doors later.
Or get one of those barn door on rails type thing, that could look pretty good too.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing you could do while that room is bare would be to fit pocket sliding doors into the kitchen. That way, there's no compromise of space in either room.
Or fit wooden bi-fold doors later.
Or get one of those barn door on rails type thing, that could look pretty good too.

Pocket sliding doors?

*heads over the Google* 🤣

Regarding colour in the room, our tv stand is walnut and orange 😮🤣

Bratty

Visit site
Walnut and Orange!??!?!?!? Then plain walls and ceiling is a must!
Or please, for all that's holy, buy a much more muted TV stand! 🤣
Did you have asbestos in the walls or not, in the end?