Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Our company policy is that all company cars should carry a spare. But............. the spare wheel space in my Skoda Superb Hybrid is taken up by batteries so no space for a spare wheel of any sort.
But surely the boot in a Superb is so vast that you could easily carry spares for all four corners? :)

My brother once had a 911 with a space saver. After getting a puncture and changing the wheel, he discovered there was nowhere in the car to put the full sized wheel he'd just taken off. What do they expect you to do with it - just leave it behind on the side of the road?

Plus we are told when we pull over on the hard shoulder to "head left" over the barrier asap , not to change the tyre
Back in about 1980 I had a blow out on the M6 near Birmingham. Offside rear. Changed the wheel on the hard shoulder. Lorries thundering past was really scary, and in hindsight doing it was was pretty stupid. But I was a young chap without much sense of danger back then.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wife joined the AA when the timing belt [ wife's car ] broke on the M6 returning from Manchester airport in the mid-90s.
Luckily a patrolman stopped and suggested we join on a special £36 a year deal
He took my wife's car to a local garage and 4 of us to Preston train station.
The car needed a cylinder head and valve repair, thankfully the car was still under guarantee.
Much the same happened in the mid-80s to my Cortina in the Gorbals when going to play a gig.
This time it was the RAC, their patrolman took the car and me to the gig in Glasgow and told me to call back again when the gig was finished.
He returned and took the car and me home to Uddingston, great service.
PS I was already a member.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But surely the boot in a Superb is so vast that you could easily carry spares for all four corners? :)

My brother once had a 911 with a space saver. After getting a puncture and changing the wheel, he discovered there was nowhere in the car to put the full sized wheel he'd just taken off. What do they expect you to do with it - just leave it behind on the side of the road?

Back in about 1980 I had a blow out on the M6 near Birmingham. Offside rear. Changed the wheel on the hard shoulder. Lorries thundering past was really scary, and in hindsight doing it was was pretty stupid. But I was a young chap without much sense of danger back then.
My mum reminds me constantly of the time aged 14 I changed her tyre on the A2 when she got a flat coming home from visiting friends.

Roads seemed safer back then..or maybe just less busy

I pay £13 a month on nationwide joint account to cover me and the wife on any car we travel in , travel insurance and phone insurance

I've used it once myself about 10 years ago

Worth every penny imo

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wasn't allowed to learn how to drive until I knew how to change a tyre and the oil. I would have no chance of changing a tyre now as the wheel nuts are always put on so tight.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't allowed to learn how to drive until I knew how to change a tyre and the oil. I would have no chance of changing a tyre now as the wheel nuts are always put on so tight.
We carried tyre irons and a puncture kit, back when there were no tyre tread laws and car tyres had inner tubes, we also had a starting handle in case the battery was flat :love:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I pay £13 a month on nationwide joint account to cover me and the wife on any car we travel in , travel insurance and phone insurance
Yes, my wife has that account. Definitely a good deal.

But read the small print as there is a gotcha...
It's her account and covers her in any car whether she's the driver or passenger.
And it covers her car even if she's not in it.
But it doesn't cover my car unless she's in it - so I've got basic Green Flag for that. (Used to have Skoda Assist until it went up to stupid money).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, my wife has that account. Definitely a good deal.

But read the small print as there is a gotcha...
It's her account and covers her in any car whether she's the driver or passenger.
And it covers her car even if she's not in it.
But it doesn't cover my car unless she's in it - so I've got basic Green Flag for that. (Used to have Skoda Assist until it went up to stupid money).

That's why it's the only joint account we have

For one lot of £13 it covers both of the account holders as individuals!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I’ve also changed a tyre on the hard shoulder of the M6. Frightening!

It’s illegal to change a tyre at the side of the road here in Spain. Recovery is included in every insurance policy.

As of July next year the red triangle that you must display, in the event of a breakdown, is being replaced with a flashing yellow light that attaches to the roof via magnets. It also includes a gps alerting the police where you have broken down.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Still vast, but not as vast as it used to be. It has a higher floor due to the batteries being underneath. I'll just pop it in the glove compartment instead. ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My car (2006 model) doesn't have a spare but has a can of stuff and an electric tyre inflator. I'm sure I read in the instructions that if you use the stuff, the tyre is ruined and cannot be used again.

Not always, depends on the repair shop and what type of spray

Some can be cleaned out, however it depends if the tyre shop can be bothered to scrap it off rather than just make you buy a new one

samthom99

Visit site
This is very much a new thing tho isn't It? Over the period that spares have been phased out the AA, RAC , green flag have come on leaps and bounds
That makes no sense.

Genuine question, how often have you used those services you mention?

In the last 6 months i have used them on 2 occasions and both times i waited 2hr 15 for the AA in a work veichle and 1hr 50mins RAC in my own veichle.

Having spoke to colleagues and friends who have used these services, the wait times havent decreased. The general consensus is the services have got worse.

samthom99

Visit site
Buy a wheeled trolley jack and a cordless impact wrench, you'll have no problem then.

I bought my ex GF and my current GF both of these and shown them how to change a wheel. It was funny listening to them huffing and puffing:LOL: