Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because it's better that way than changing twice a week?

I guess that the point is that a cap should be a solid maximum that can be charged rather than something that is simply increased as is required. The cap should require that energy companies take losses at times like these whilst they make hay at times when the wholesale energy costs are lower. To have a cap that is simply increased every few months seems to somewhat defeat the object and allows for regular, significant price hikes. Surely the solution may be to keep the cap at the curernt level with a set in stone asusrance that the cap will not be reduced for a period of time after gas prices go below and agreed level and so consumers have a steady and manageable cost whilst the as companies have a period within which to recoup any lost profit.

What confuses me is that early figures I saw showed that about 7% of our gas needs came from Russia. That means that the companies providing 93% of our gas are making significant extra profit based on a scarecity in the rest of Europe meaning that they can charge more for our solid and unthreatened gas supplies. I am no gas expert, I could be very wrong.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess that the point is that a cap should be a solid maximum that can be charged rather than something that is simply increased as is required. The cap should require that energy companies take losses at times like these whilst they make hay at times when the wholesale energy costs are lower. To have a cap that is simply increased every few months seems to somewhat defeat the object and allows for regular, significant price hikes. Surely the solution may be to keep the cap at the curernt level with a set in stone asusrance that the cap will not be reduced for a period of time after gas prices go below and agreed level and so consumers have a steady and manageable cost whilst the as companies have a period within which to recoup any lost profit.

What confuses me is that early figures I saw showed that about 7% of our gas needs came from Russia. That means that the companies providing 93% of our gas are making significant extra profit based on a scarecity in the rest of Europe meaning that they can charge more for our solid and unthreatened gas supplies. I am no gas expert, I could be very wrong.

Dont get me started on this..
1) Via Bulb, i thought my leccy was 100% renewable... last time i checked, the sun, wind and water cost the same thing... so why the fish am i paying more. Or it was misleading?
2) why have leccy prices in france only gone up in single digits while we continue to pay vat, green and god knows what for the same power

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The cap should require that energy companies take losses at times like these whilst they make hay at times when the wholesale energy costs are lower.
Isn't that precisely what it did last year, and was the reason that many energy companies went bust? Do you want more of them to go to the wall? If we end up with just a few huge energy companies, they'll become a cartel.
One option might be to nationalise them all, but then all that happens is the government (ie. the taxpayer) loses the money. Which is effectively what's currently happening with Bulb.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Isn't that precisely what it did last year, and was the reason that many energy companies went bust? Do you want more of them to go to the wall? If we end up with just a few huge energy companies, they'll become a cartel.
One option might be to nationalise them all, but then all that happens is the government (ie. the taxpayer) loses the money. Which is effectively what's currently happening with Bulb.

Er, you think the energy companies are regretting these price rises...much the same as we are?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you referring to the huge profits being made by the likes of Shell & BP?
They aren't the same companies as the retail utility suppliers. The price cap only hurts the latter.
Too many are missing this point. One extracts, making enormous profits as the costs of that have not altered. The other buys and sells, not gaining from the inflated price of selling the raw product. Some do both and pretend they are not benefitting but they are telling big fibs when you look at the big picture.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Too many are missing this point. One extracts, making enormous profits as the costs of that have not altered. The other buys and sells, not gaining from the inflated price of selling the raw product. Some do both and pretend they are not benefitting but they are telling big fibs when you look at the big picture.

Plenty arent missing the point and know exactly whats going on!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alarm didn't go off (have now realised there's something wrong with the app) and when I do wake up it's roasting hot and there's a crippling pain in one side of my back. When you know it's going to be a :poop: day!