Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm far from being a millennial but to allow a child to spend half the day with only one shoe and to then allow them to walk home that way is completely out of order. The school needs to be brought to account for allowing and accepting the bullying behaviour.
Lots of schools don’t want to admit to bullying.
Bullying is and will always be prevalent in society if they persistently ignore it.
You may disagree with the philosophy of dealing with a bully and you think the behaviour is due to other traumatic events .. but it has to be crushed hard and fast with little or no pity.
You are quite right the school is totally accountable.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I heard about the military fly over for the American national anthem at the NFL it made me a bit cross

Yes the NFL pay for it and it's their military do what they want but all countries are forcing their residents to go green, ditch petrol, move away from gas but hey let's just waste a load of plane fuel for a fly over for a sports event....

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
People in the winter roll up who seem to be unable to comprehend the words “Do not reply to all”. I don’t want know who is and isn’t available, I will find out on Saturday. Just reply to the originator as asked ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I heard about the military fly over for the American national anthem at the NFL it made me a bit cross

Yes the NFL pay for it and it's their military do what they want but all countries are forcing their residents to go green, ditch petrol, move away from gas but hey let's just waste a load of plane fuel for a fly over for a sports event....
I agree with you totally but boy are we guilty of the same in this country. The Red Arrows are at many an event, Great North Run up here a few weeks ago, £1 says they did the London marathon as well. Cup finals, cricket, rugby etc, have a flyover. A spitfire or hurricane goes over and people coo.

We need a change in thought process so that people think about the consequences of these things.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with you totally but boy are we guilty of the same in this country. The Red Arrows are at many an event, Great North Run up here a few weeks ago, £1 says they did the London marathon as well. Cup finals, cricket, rugby etc, have a flyover. A spitfire or hurricane goes over and people coo.

We need a change in thought process so that people think about the consequences of these things.

Flyovers allow pilots to get in their hours that they need. It doesn’t cost any extra because they will be included in the flying hours and at times will be at the end of a training run or beginning of a training run

That also includes the red arrows and those pilots also need their flying hours.

And the spitfire and hurricane should always be remembered for the job they performed keeping us a free country and should be looked on with pride by everyone

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flyovers allow pilots to get in their hours that they need. It doesn’t cost any extra because they will be included in the flying hours and at times will be at the end of a training run or beginning of a training run

That also includes the red arrows and those pilots also need their flying hours.

And the spitfire and hurricane should always be remembered for the job they performed keeping us a free country and should be looked on with pride by everyone
I thought the Red Arrows were purely ceremonial pilots. Do they still see active service?

No one is forgetting what those planes did but the fact is they now pollute. Get past the emotion, they pollute. Their place now is in museums, not damaging the atmosphere. That doesn't mean we forget them, we just see them in their rightful place now, and it isn't the sky.

If we are really going to buy into the changes it looks like we are inevitably going to have to make then ceremonial flying surely has to go. It is entirely frivolous.

D

Deleted member 15344

I thought the Red Arrows were purely ceremonial pilots. Do they still see active service?

No one is forgetting what those planes did but the fact is they now pollute. Get past the emotion, they pollute. Their place now is in museums, not damaging the atmosphere. That doesn't mean we forget them, we just see them in their rightful place now, and it isn't the sky.

If we are really going to buy into the changes it looks like we are inevitably going to have to make then ceremonial flying surely has to go. It is entirely frivolous.

Red Arrows pilots are still active serving pilots who will go back to flying in their respect squadrons - they still need to keep up their flying hours - the same as the pilot flying the Lightening

And a spitfire or hurricane or Lancaster will produce the very smallest bare minimum amount of air pollution , do you see the smoke bellowing out of a spitfire , not really certainly not near the amount of a commercial private jet . They are a huge engineering feat even keeping them going right now - as well as keeping people in jobs - they should be celebrated and kept in the air for as long as possible - they give joy to millions who appreciate what they achieved.

D

Deleted member 17920

As Phil says

The pilots who fly the BBMF and the Red Arrows are all fully trained RAF pilots and all flying hours count for these guys on there licence.

How do you know what the emissions are on the Lancaster spitfire and hurricane.

If you feel this strongly about the environment then I would suggest never travelling to a golf course again by car but choosing to walk to your nearest one.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As Phil says

The pilots who fly the BBMF and the Red Arrows are all fully trained RAF pilots and all flying hours count for these guys on there licence.

How do you know what the emissions are on the Lancaster spitfire and hurricane.

If you feel this strongly about the environment then I would suggest never travelling to a golf course again by car but choosing to walk to your nearest one.
And yet another disagreement turns into ridiculous hyperbole and whataboutery. As sure as night follows day.

If you really think some British imperial chest beating nonsense like the Red Arrows is the same as someone driving to a golf club then you’re entirely disjointed from reality.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
And yet another disagreement turns into ridiculous hyperbole and whataboutery. As sure as night follows day.

If you really think some British imperial chest beating nonsense like the Red Arrows is the same as someone driving to a golf club then you’re entirely disjointed from reality.

It's called entertainment. Lots of people enjoy watching it, I.e. Airshows.
Lots of people enjoy fireworks display ( I don't), lots of people enjoy watching motor racing .
There are lots of events, pastimes etc which involve use of engines and thus pollution. You cannot ask for all to stop. But, if someone does encourage doing that for the sake of stopping pollution, that's one thing.
But you change it to knocking the British military?
Why you politicise everything I don't know, ......but I can guess.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Re Spitfires and Hurricanes, their rightful place, most certainly, is in the sky so that they can be both seen AND heard.
What better reminder can there be of the freedoms they achieved for us?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Re Spitfires and Hurricanes, their rightful place, most certainly, is in the sky so that they can be both seen AND heard.

We often get them flying over the campsite where our caravan is pitched and I’ll always stop and watch them fly over.
That engine sound is amazing and never gets boring

D

Deleted member 15344

Spot on - when speaking to some veterans and survivors of WW2 the noise of that engine as it goes over fills them full of joy for the freedom in the Sky they provided and also sadness remembering the lives that were lost flying them defending the sky against the Luftwaffe

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 23270

Let's just suck all the fun out of life eh