Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to say I was confused by this too. Surely the “do you want” is an option? Or are we missing something?
I think it is more that there is an element of pressure being put on the customer. In the past a tip was purely down to you as you paid, it was a private matter, no question was ever asked, no pressure put on. Asking the question changes that. People can scoff at that but it is a subtle psychological change.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is more that there is an element of pressure being put on the customer. In the past a tip was purely down to you as you paid, it was a private matter, no question was ever asked, no pressure put on. Asking the question changes that. People can scoff at that but it is a subtle psychological change.

So I assumed it was paying by card. The whole point of which is not paying by cash (maybe because you don’t have any on you) and that would be the only way to leave a tip without processing a secondary transaction. There is no other way to do it in a single eTranasaction than to give the user the option. It’s not pressure, it’s a simple question which presents an option. Yes or No.

Technology changes our psychological habits every day, the convenience of paying your bill by card comes with the question of leaving a tip.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I assumed it was paying by card. The whole point of which is not paying by cash (maybe because you don’t have any on you) and that would be the only way to leave a tip without processing a secondary transaction. There is no other way to do it in a single eTranasaction than to give the user the option. It’s not pressure, it’s a simple question which presents an option. Yes or No.

Technology changes our psychological habits every day, the convenience of paying your bill by card comes with the question of leaving a tip.
There is usually an option when entering your card details as to whether you want to add a tip. Not always but usually. Click yes, add the amount and then it is pooled together. Nothing verbal then needs to be said. As you say, perhaps it will become common as we go towards being cashless but it a change and we don't tend to like change.

You can also come back to tipping as a concept but that is another thread entirely............

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is usually an option when entering your card details as to whether you want to add a tip. Not always but usually. Click yes, add the amount and then it is pooled together. Nothing verbal then needs to be said. As you say, perhaps it will become common as we go towards being cashless but it a change and we don't tend to like change.

You can also come back to tipping as a concept but that is another thread entirely............

The option to leave a tip when paying by card has been around for years.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is what I assumed he meant. If he was verbally asked then that's different.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, which is why asking the question is unnecessary unless it is to add pressure to leave one.
Actually GiF it was my wife that took the bill as I went elsewhere. She felt uncomfortable and when she said the wrong button, in the server’s opinion he was somewhat aggressive as he expected a tip. Incidentally it was 15.15 and he only came on shift @15.00 so had little idea of any problems we had encountered.

I do accept the comments from GiF and GiL but I am afraid some people feel uncomfortable and pressurised in this situation

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The blue bit above our heads?
The isle of ……..?
The girls name ?

or

the ones who thought it was ok to cancel an appt booked a couple of weeks ago 7 hrs into their 9 hour slot but didnt even have the decency to phone me to explain just sent me details of a new appt, then flat out lied when contacted about it

you asked......

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the ones who thought it was ok to cancel an appt booked a couple of weeks ago 7 hrs into their 9 hour slot but didnt even have the decency to phone me to explain just sent me details of a new appt, then flat out lied when contacted about it

you asked......

I can top that one! My mate at work went to virgin for his broadband, so his broadband cut off midnight , install next day

Getting towards end of day called them

Oh we cancelled your order because our techs say we need to dig up the road and we don't want to do that

So now he has to wait until today think it was for bt

Bear in mind this was mid August lol

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving through south London yesterday and there's loads of 20mph zones. No problem with that as even the numpties seemed to obey them but one of the zones was on a dual carriageway! What's that about?!