Random Irritations

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got an offer for a 0% transfer onto 1 credit card … but a fee of 2.9% is applied.
That’s going to sucker a few people, thankfully not living on credit though! Borrowing money is not controlled strongly enough and there is no protection for those not financially astute.

Not sure how anyone is "suckered" by that deal. Say a person has a £2000 balance on a 15.9% card (15.9 seems to be a bout market rate just now from what I see). Most cards work on a basis of payment equalling 1% of the balance plus a month's interest so in this case 2.325% being applied per month.

So on that £2k balance the payment would be c. £46.50 per month with £20 going to the actual balance element and £26.50 servicing the interest.

at 2.9% the transfer fee would be £58 (so marhinally over 2 month's interest payment being applied). If the offer was even, say 12 months 0%) then the borrower could choose to pay minimum (1% or £20) as before but not see the balance increase) or continue to pay the £46.50 as before but see a greater reduction in balance over the months beyond paying the fee off.

The CC company benefits from the fee but the borrower benefits greatest over the time of the offer (as long as the 0% duration is longer than the break even against the fee).

Personally just transferred to a 29 month 0% on one of my cards, I will keep paying the same set monthly payment of £50 (already above my minimum payment) but will see the balance reduce significantly faster without costing me anything other than the £34 fee (which will wipe it's face in month 3 - so 26 months saving 1.325% of the balance). Works for me at least.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how anyone is "suckered" by that deal. Say a person has a £2000 balance on a 15.9% card (15.9 seems to be a bout market rate just now from what I see). Most cards work on a basis of payment equalling 1% of the balance plus a month's interest so in this case 2.325% being applied per month.

So on that £2k balance the payment would be c. £46.50 per month with £20 going to the actual balance element and £26.50 servicing the interest.

at 2.9% the transfer fee would be £58 (so marhinally over 2 month's interest payment being applied). If the offer was even, say 12 months 0%) then the borrower could choose to pay minimum (1% or £20) as before but not see the balance increase) or continue to pay the £46.50 as before but see a greater reduction in balance over the months beyond paying the fee off.

The CC company benefits from the fee but the borrower benefits greatest over the time of the offer (as long as the 0% duration is longer than the break even against the fee).

Personally just transferred to a 29 month 0% on one of my cards, I will keep paying the same set monthly payment of £50 (already above my minimum payment) but will see the balance reduce significantly faster without costing me anything other than the £34 fee (which will wipe it's face in month 3 - so 26 months saving 1.325% of the balance). Works for me at least.
You know what your doing ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The idiot over the road taking his 6 year old daughter out on his motorbike with her only wearing shorts, T-shirt and a cycling helmet.

Shocked!

My kids had full fitting kit before they got a chance of a ride, and even then it was ‘corner shop’ stuff till I and they were comfortable.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
People who massively overquote, then when they hear youre getting other quotes offer to price match, then complain when you accept the other quote at half the price they initially wanted to rip you off for!

And I tell them why they haven’t got the job. Hate rip off merchants.

RichA

Visit site
Car thieves.
If you've got Faraday bags, for pity's sake use them. If it wasn't for my fabulous next door neighbour, I would be minus one car this morning. Fortunately the thieves' relay device dropped out in between opening the car and starting the engine and he chased the gang away on his own while I slept like a baby.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Somebody I live with, who thinks that hiding a car key is better than putting it in the Faraday bag.

We don't have keyless on either of our cars. However, keys for both our cars live next to the front door.

We don't have particularly desirable cars, so have probably got a smaller chance than some of being stolen. But, if someone wants either of them, they can take them.

If someone really really wants your car, and they can't start it with their laptop. There is a chance they will break in for them. That's the last thing you want.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
To me there's nothing better than the sounds of kids having fun playing outside. At least they aren't sitting in front of a computer screen.
We live next to an elementary school and during holidays we miss hearing the little dears running around screaming their heads off during playtime.
The noise/laughter is only really between (about) 9am and 4pm and it brightens up our day.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People who massively overquote, then when they hear youre getting other quotes offer to price match, then complain when you accept the other quote at half the price they initially wanted to rip you off for!
I had this a couple of years ago. Got quotes for online access to tax research material for the firm I was with. One firm quoted £5k, the other claiming a superior product £18k. The first firm then quoted a 20% discount if we signed up for two years (ie £4K pa), which we did as the other firm was so far higher with their quote. The firm with the higher quote then came back and I advised that we had been quoted £4k pa. They said they would match it and weren’t happy when I explained that we had already signed up.

If they were prepared to go as low as £4K, why quote 4.5 times higher in the first place. That’s what cost them the contact.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
HGV drivers who insist on overtaking other HGV’s on 2-lane dual carriageways, only for both to then jockey for position on their speed limiters for mile, after mile, after mile. I was stuck behind two such drivers this morning on the A14 for no less than SIX miles.

It’s not often I wish I was still a cop, but I would have loved to have had an opportunity to “educate” these two. That said, they had some way to go to surpass my record. I once knocked two HGV drivers off for careless driving after they had driven alongside one another for thirteen miles on the A1 - the tailback behind them was horrific.
Funnily enough when I started reading this I thought A14, then got to where you mentioned it.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BMW had a product recall on some software.. so went back to service station. Came back all clean and squeaky and its software updated.

... deleted all my radio stations (which was a minor irritation)

.. changed all the miles to kilometers... Did not realise it till i was about a mile away. Driving along a 50 speed limit and suddenly the screen started showing I am over the limit by doing 80!! took a couple of secs to realise that was 80kmph. i nearly had a panic attack. Got home and took about 15 mins of trawlign thru various menus to change back to Miles ..

I know that in the world of Covid and Afghanistan, my irritation was minor.. it was still an irritiation

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At least you get quotes! We have had 4 firms round to measure up and ‘quote’ for a bathroom refit - none of them have actually got back to us with a quote. Very frustrating

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mountain warehouse own website saying no stock of a type of shoe, but in stock AND £25 CHEAPER, when looking on Amazon (supplied by mountain warehouse). Yes I bought them.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Advertisers and marketeers that just string words together that make no sense in the hope of either "sounding cool" or possibly trying to create their own language.

The latest I am apparently being offered "Exclusive heat on lock".

Well thanks, but I have central heating already. Oh wait, you're offering me trainers?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The brokeness of the UK sometimes ..

We stopped claiming child benefit a few years ago due to having to pay it all back when I changed jobs. So when the twins were born didn't claim it because why would I?

Turns out now you need to claim it and then say on the form you don't want to be paid so they automatically get a NI number when they turn 16

Would have thought them being registered as a birth in the UK then living here would get that

Oh well form sent .. waste of a stamp (another annoyance just accept it electronically)