Random Irritations

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
The brokeness of the UK sometimes ..

We stopped claiming child benefit a few years ago due to having to pay it all back when I changed jobs. So when the twins were born didn't claim it because why would I?

I think it is also the case that people need to ‘claim’ Child Benefit if they want the person claiming it to get NI credit for state pension qualification, should they not be working enough to get the credit through that… even if you don’t qualify for any actual Child Benefit money due to the non-claiming partner earning more than £60k.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is also the case that people need to ‘claim’ Child Benefit if you want the person claiming it to get NI credit for state pension qualification, should they not be working enough to get the credit through that… even if you don’t qualify for any actual Child Benefit money due to the non-claiming partner earning more than £60k.

This is also correct

My colleague is in this situation as his wife doesn't work

My wife does so we good on that side of it

Broken system for sure

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re annoyed at getting something cheaper because Mountain have honoured a bulk contract to Amazon?

Yea, I hate getting things cheaper.

Yes I know it souuuuuuunds stupid. But, I saw them in the shop and really liked them (Miami Dolphins colours) but they didn't have my size. i went home and looked online and would have bought them, but they didn't have my size in stock and I was going to give up. What made me try Amazon I don't know. But there they were????? "supplied by Mountain Warehouse" and cheaper. Huh?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this has been mentioned before but here goes.....if the kids over the last 20 years and more have been getting better and better exam results, and therefore are cleverer and cleverer, why hasn't everything we will ever want desire or need been invented and things improved, organisational wise, etc etc etc. Everything is, I think, worse. Sure we have better stuff, but this development has come from other countries. And TV, In the sixties and early seventies, the golden years of TV, sitcoms were thought up and radio shows were brilliant. Now what do we have? Dirge! In this country we are not producing anywhere near what we should be doing if our fantastic, amazing kids (facebook posts BLURG !) are so damn wonderful.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The brokeness of the UK sometimes ..

We stopped claiming child benefit a few years ago due to having to pay it all back when I changed jobs. So when the twins were born didn't claim it because why would I?

Turns out now you need to claim it and then say on the form you don't want to be paid so they automatically get a NI number when they turn 16

Would have thought them being registered as a birth in the UK then living here would get that

Oh well form sent .. waste of a stamp (another annoyance just accept it electronically)
I take it you mean child tax credit? Child benefit is not means tested.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went to bed last night feeling just fine, up this morning my right knee is in agony I can hardly straighten it or stand on it.
I can't remember having any strenuous dreams :eek::mad:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Building society posting out a flyer for its new savings scheme up a whopping 0.1% to 0.35, so if I had a grand i'd get another £1.

said same building society allowed me to open an account to hold some of our house proceeds in earlier in the year, the account had a 3 withdrawals limit to get the mighty 0.35% or the interest was wiped and rate down to 0.01%. go to withdraw the money and they limit you to £10k a withdrawal, yet they allow you to deposit more than £30k! reminds me i need to submit my complaint about them, thanks :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why do they do this. Have they not seen the results on the faces of the people that have gone before them?
Lulu, who tbh looks better than she did in the 60s, aside most are pretty terrible jobs. But as men we would not understand the desire to retain your looks, as most men so I'm told get better with age.?