Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the typing thing is at its worst in chrome , but not so bad in opera.
Maybe try a different browser ?

I am indeed using Chrome but I don't feel like changing my browser on my phone because of one website

I can see what you mean tho even on Chromebook it's constantly refreshing when typing

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Add to that eBay sellers who start at a penny or 99p but then put a reserve on the item; why? Just start it at your reserve price.

Simple...because when you do no one bids, as I an finding as the moment. I thought it would be a good idea to start as my reserve, which wasn't very high anyway, but people won't bid. You drop it down to 99p start and the clowns will then bid over your reserve. ????????????????? How does that work???????????????

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Simple...because when you do no one bids, as I an finding as the moment. I thought it would be a good idea to start as my reserve, which wasn't very high anyway, but people won't bid. You drop it down to 99p start and the clowns will then bid over your reserve. ????????????????? How does that work???????????????
Because people are always trying to get things as cheaply as possible
Item may be worth 50 quid and the bidder may want it and be willing to pay up to 60 for it.
But start it low and they think theres a chance to get it for 35 or 40.
So the bids come in...
I've given up,on the auctions, these days I just put things on at a realistic buy it now price and let it roll
Normally sold within a week.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Don’t want to post this in the Auschwitz thread as it will detract from what people are posting on there. But I find it irritating that every news report on radio, Tv and the msm on the net always say “The Nazis killed 1M Jews at Auschwitz” or “The Nazis exterminated 6M jews in the Holocaust” there is never any reference to Germany. I think this is wrong, I agree we should forgive the Germans but we should never forget what they committed just 75 years ago.

The majaority of Germans did not agree with the killing of Jews (or the others mirdered) after all many of the Jewis community had fought for Germany in WW1, assisted in the rebuilding of the country ofter the war. Hitler was twisted, he believed they were taking all the jobs and income from "racially pure" Germans.

The death camps were run by branches of the SS (the military arm of the Nazi party) whereas POW camps where run by the Whermacht or the Luftwaffe (these guys hated the SS). So to tar all Germans with the same brush isn't fair. Did some "non nazi's" commit attrocities? yes (Wormholt massacre during battle of France is one exapmle, but they were rare compared to the SS, SA ans Gestapo) but sepak to any veteran and they will say they were not fighting the Germans but the Nazis.
Anyway rant over, as you were peeps :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The majaority of Germans did not agree with the killing of Jews (or the others mirdered) after all many of the Jewis community had fought for Germany in WW1, assisted in the rebuilding of the country ofter the war. Hitler was twisted, he believed they were taking all the jobs and income from "racially pure" Germans.

The death camps were run by branches of the SS (the military arm of the Nazi party) whereas POW camps where run by the Whermacht or the Luftwaffe (these guys hated the SS). So to tar all Germans with the same brush isn't fair. Did some "non nazi's" commit attrocities? yes (Wormholt massacre during battle of France is one exapmle, but they were rare compared to the SS, SA ans Gestapo) but sepak to any veteran and they will say they were not fighting the Germans but the Nazis.
Anyway rant over, as you were peeps :)
i think you might be confused, Wormholt was committed by the Leibstandardte , Hitlers ss bodygaurd, if you read the Gestapo reports the german population were just a guilty and backed up what the nazi's did, or at least let it happen

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
i think you might be confused, Wormholt was committed by the Leibstandardte , Hitlers ss bodygaurd, if you read the Gestapo reports the german population were just a guilty and backed up what the nazi's did, or at least let it happen

You are correct it was the 1st SS division Leibstandarte, at the time many British soldiers thought the SS were part of the Wehrmacht.

Fear makes people do strange things. I wouldn't take the Gestapo reports at face value. As the war turned in the Allies favour many senior officials were trying to pass the blame even on to "normal germans", even the allies would falsify reports in the name of dis-information (I'm sure some were true).
I know many Germans turned a blind eye to what was happening but like i said when you live your life in fear of the SS knocking at your door you'd do things you wouldnt normally do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You are correct it was the 1st SS division Leibstandarte, at the time many British soldiers thought the SS were part of the Wehrmacht.

Fear makes people do strange things. I wouldn't take the Gestapo reports at face value. As the war turned in the Allies favour many senior officials were trying to pass the blame even on to "normal germans", even the allies would falsify reports in the name of dis-information (I'm sure some were true).
I know many Germans turned a blind eye to what was happening but like i said when you live your life in fear of the SS knocking at your door you'd do things you wouldnt normally do.
i think you might be getting confused the Gestapo files are all denouncements of other germans, its a fallacy the the SD and Gestapo where everywhere... they wern't they didn't need to be the german people were all grassing each other up to them. people were sent to consentration camps for "looking supicious" or not giving the Nazi salute... imagine what they did to those who did not agree with the nazi's?

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
i think you might be getting confused the Gestapo files are all denouncements of other germans, its a fallacy the the SD and Gestapo where everywhere... they wern't they didn't need to be the german people were all grassing each other up to them. people were sent to consentration camps for "looking supicious" or not giving the Nazi salute... imagine what they did to those who did not agree with the nazi's?
You're right (just my dodgy way of explaining myself), no need for the SS or Gestapo to be everywhere. All you need is to sow the seed and the population will do the rest. Start mass paranoia and sit back and wait for the people to become informants (self preservation is a strong thing).

Whatever the choice the Germans made, whether standing up against the regime, turning a blind eye, joining the Nazi's or making them think you supported them, in the end they all were punished to some extent. Not a pleasant situation to be in.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
TFL and travelcards. I always used to buy monthly travelcards because years ago they were decent value. Now after several years of single fares being frozen (with proud boasting from TFL/Sadiq every year) while travelcard prices were quietly hoisted up, now I would actually lose money buying a travelcard. February is a short month so slightly extreme example - but a zone 1-7 travelcard for me would now be £275 I believe (last year it was 268), whereas simply tapping my card in and out every day would total around £250 for the month barring an unexpectedly large amount of journeys on weekends.

Why do they not want to sell travelcards anymore?? They must not sell any now they're such appalling value? Only worth buying if you travel in and out of London every Saturday and Sunday as well.

@pauljames87 you're my TFL man usually, can you shed any light on this? Seems weird to me, like they are purposely steering people away from travelcards.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're right (just my dodgy way of explaining myself), no need for the SS or Gestapo to be everywhere. All you need is to sow the seed and the population will do the rest. Start mass paranoia and sit back and wait for the people to become informants (self preservation is a strong thing).

Whatever the choice the Germans made, whether standing up against the regime, turning a blind eye, joining the Nazi's or making them think you supported them, in the end they all were punished to some extent. Not a pleasant situation to be in.

i was already aware of the way the regime operated, but recently read "Alone in Berlin" which a novel based on the story of a Geman couple who distributed post cards questioning the war and Hitler at the start of the 2nd WW. they distributed a couple of hundred cards all were handed in to the GSpo by the public who found them. the book includes someof files and reports and some of the cards from the case. they were both sent to a peoples court found Guilty and beheaded in Prison. of course it was written after the war.

well worth the read

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TFL and travelcards. I always used to buy monthly travelcards because years ago they were decent value. Now after several years of single fares being frozen (with proud boasting from TFL/Sadiq every year) while travelcard prices were quietly hoisted up, now I would actually lose money buying a travelcard. February is a short month so slightly extreme example - but a zone 1-7 travelcard for me would now be £275 I believe (last year it was 268), whereas simply tapping my card in and out every day would total around £250 for the month barring an unexpectedly large amount of journeys on weekends.

Why do they not want to sell travelcards anymore?? They must not sell any now they're such appalling value? Only worth buying if you travel in and out of London every Saturday and Sunday as well.

@pauljames87 you're my TFL man usually, can you shed any light on this? Seems weird to me, like they are purposely steering people away from travelcards.

Morning! Tfl pushed everyone onto oyster to slowly get the ticket offices closed. Saved themsleves millions doing so.

This lastest move is simple but clever. Moving people to contactless gets rid of the need for oyster cards full stop. More and more people have contactless phones or cards so means a steady income without so much of an outlay for the company in the cards

I believe they switched to paying for oyster cards rather refundable deposits ..

They want oyster gone long term for contactless to cut out plastic waste aswell

But then again it's been over a decade since I worked on a gateline

Doesn't it cap at a travelcard if you went too high aswell?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning! Tfl pushed everyone onto oyster to slowly get the ticket offices closed. Saved themsleves millions doing so.

This lastest move is simple but clever. Moving people to contactless gets rid of the need for oyster cards full stop. More and more people have contactless phones or cards so means a steady income without so much of an outlay for the company in the cards

I believe they switched to paying for oyster cards rather refundable deposits ..

They want oyster gone long term for contactless to cut out plastic waste aswell

But then again it's been over a decade since I worked on a gateline

Doesn't it cap at a travelcard if you went too high aswell?
Funny you should say that (in bold) - one thing I liked about travelcards was that I can cover my travel for the month immediately after payday, so no fears of not being able to travel in the week before payday because I've run out of dosh. So my new plan is to put 250 quid of top-up onto my Oyster card for February instead of the travelcard I used to get. So I'll still be using the Oyster.

Yeah I think the daily cap is like £14 something, my standard daily fare for going to and from work is £11.20. On Wednesdays I travel more because I have football after work so it's £12.80 those days. Basically I'm never in much danger of reaching the daily cap anyway.

Edit: Cheers for the reply. Does seem to confirm that they want travelcards gone.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
One of front teeth throbbing like a gudun after a visit to the dentist to have a new crown fitted. She didn't like the job that had been done, (wrong size and colour), so more impressions done (three !) and prodded to bits. I was in for an hour. I've now got to go back to repeat the exercise in a just over a week. Wonderful.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The “what do you fancy for tea?” conversation. Every day. I’ve never once responded with I really fancy xyz. Yet the question still comes. Every day. 17 years and counting.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The “what do you fancy for tea?” conversation. Every day. I’ve never once responded with I really fancy xyz. Yet the question still comes. Every day. 17 years and counting.
Pre-mealtime conversation with Mum...
What's for dinner?
What do you want?
What have you got?
Not a lot
I'll have some of that then...

At least 3 times a week......:LOL:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Yep I Get the “what do you fancy for dinner?” Text every day!

Who knew the hardest part of being married is figuring out what to eat for dinner every single night for the rest of your lives??