Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is indeed the right thing that she should have done - but our OPster has the dilemma - do what she wants to do (thanks but no thanks) - or do the right thing (ok - you made the effort - you should have checked - but I'll have one to avoid upset)
I think you are confusing "the right thing" with "the overly polite British let's not offend anyone thing" here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That is indeed the right thing that she should have done - but our OPster has the dilemma - do what she wants to do (thanks but no thanks) - or do the right thing (ok - you made the effort - you should have checked - but I'll have one to avoid upset)
Er.....No.
If the person organising the photo is daft enough to not ask for numbers before ordering then they deserve to have to foot the bill when some dont want one....
Why should I, or AJ in this case, be out of pocket just to stop offence being taken by not wanting a picture....?
It may only be a couple of quid but that's not the point

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you are confusing "the right thing" with "the overly polite British let's not offend anyone thing" here.

Not really. But in a way doing the British thing, in a situation such as this, is also the right thing.

It's not so much the fear of offending - it's knowing such as the photos might well have been ordered in good faith - some might have been told that it would cost £2.50 but our OPer may have missed getting told - or simply by mistake not been told. And there is nothing wrong with doing whatever you can to avoid upset in any group - it's not just about the other individual - even if sometimes that might cost you, and actually might not be what you instinctively want to do (tell her to take one).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Automatic headlights on cars and their interactions with the satnav. The new one keeps telling me to turn them on despite it being broad daylight. By doing so, the satnav goes into night mode. Yes, I understand that on days like these dipped headlights are a sensible idea. But that doesn’t mean the satnav has to be in night mode. And there doesn’t appear to be an option in the menu to alter it...

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Not really. But in a way doing the British thing, in a situation such as this, is also the right thing.

It's not so much the fear of offending - it's knowing such as the photos might well have been ordered in good faith - some might have been told that it would cost £2.50 but our OPer may have missed getting told - or simply by mistake not been told. And there is nothing wrong with doing whatever you can to avoid upset in any group - even if sometimes that might cost you, and actually might not be what you instinctively want to do (tell her to take one).

Surely we should be doing the European thing; what would that be, you must know. ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
They can be very painful that's for sure, about 7.5 out of 10 on the pain scale. Wifes mum had them but no pain and passed some but didn't even realise she had, until she went yellow.

Used to have them and some attacks went on for hours, sure don't miss them.:LOL:

Your first one or had loads of attacks already and are you signed up for keyhole surgery ?

Yes, first bout of them Darren. Had them for about 4 weeks now. A good non-fatty diet helps, but even the "good fats" trigger them. I was on holiday golfing in Portugal last week and had a couple of attacks in the early hours, the pain makes me throw up. Booked to see the consultant on Monday, hopefully surgery asap.

Wolf

Visit site
Dr's appointments, becoming an absolute farce now to get an appointment with my GP, had a minor op last year need a follow-up up with GP which he told me i had to have but can't pre book, ring up every day for 2 weeks ao far and as usual ring back tomorrow sorry Mr Wolf we don't do pre book appointments. Only its not that easy when you're working to ring and be available to attend.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Getting 14 pieces of "post" today and not one of them is a letter, bill, card, statement or anything addressed to anyone living here.
14 pieces of junk mail.......
Might start a junk mail tree but it would probably top 20 feet by December

D

Deleted member 21258

Yes, first bout of them Darren. Had them for about 4 weeks now. A good non-fatty diet helps, but even the "good fats" trigger them. I was on holiday golfing in Portugal last week and had a couple of attacks in the early hours, the pain makes me throw up. Booked to see the consultant on Monday, hopefully surgery asap.

Surprising how many people have them, when I got talking to people. Had mine taken out 3 or 4 years ago now, all very smoothly and no problems since or side effects(same with my mum and wifes mum).

Yeah the being sick is a nice effect, your bringing back all the good times and memories and the late night parties I had with mine. Glad when I dumped her :LOL: Put up with mine for to many months, before having the operation due to wrong time of year for an operation work wise.

Diet didn't help for me tbh during the period :cry:, would quite often wake up in the middle of the night with an attack starting, hours after eating(I stopped eating after 6pm to try to help, which it did), could have them after eating a salad etc.

Whatever you do, don't push up under you rib cage when one is going to see if it is the gall bladder, it hurts btw;)

Feel for you, hopefully they remove the gall bladder fairly quickly via keyhole, one day stay, few bruises, a number of weeks off from activities/golf and as good as new and no more pain:)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I ruffled the hornets nest by suggesting she should have mentioned the cost originally. She clearly didn't like that "hang on - you don't have to have on if you don't want it and it is cheap". Me "that's not the point but I'll leave £2.50 in the office for you".

D

Deleted member 16999

Not really incompetence on her part - Corbyn perhaps - but not necessarily her. She was simply like King Canute trying to stop the tide coming in. Indeed Canute knew he couldn't stop the tide and was just demonstrating that even as King there was nothing that he could do to thwart the power of nature - in Johnson we had a 'power of nature' that she could do nothing to counter.
How do you explain Zac Goldsmith? Was that Corbyn’s fault as well?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

It's not so much the fear of offending - it's knowing such as the photos might well have been ordered in good faith - some might have been told that it would cost £2.50 but our OPer may have missed getting told - or simply by mistake not been told. And there is nothing wrong with doing whatever you can to avoid upset in any group - it's not just about the other individual - even if sometimes that might cost you, and actually might not be what you instinctively want to do (tell her to take one).

So you'd rather piss off all the people who don't want a picture to save the face of one presumptuous person?
That causes more upset in my eyes.

The pictures might have been taken by a friend and this lady was doing it to ensure business for the friend.

D

Deleted member 15344

So I ruffled the hornets nest by suggesting she should have mentioned the cost originally. She clearly didn't like that "hang on - you don't have to have on if you don't want it and it is cheap". Me "that's not the point but I'll leave £2.50 in the office for you".
Reading through it all and it seems that the issue is certainly with the way the lady communicated with you the first time - it does certainly come across as if it was a “freebie” as opposed to any cost implications - she should have mentioned the cost at the start and given you the option.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Getting 14 pieces of "post" today and not one of them is a letter, bill, card, statement or anything addressed to anyone living here.
14 pieces of junk mail.......
Might start a junk mail tree but it would probably top 20 feet by December

Put them in the post as “return to sender”

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Dr's appointments, becoming an absolute farce now to get an appointment with my GP, had a minor op last year need a follow-up up with GP which he told me i had to have but can't pre book, ring up every day for 2 weeks ao far and as usual ring back tomorrow sorry Mr Wolf we don't do pre book appointments. Only its not that easy when you're working to ring and be available to attend.

Second that; work some distance away and can't get near a first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening appointment at ours for all the retired people who have all day every day to go.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check out at Spanish supermarket today. So slow, people cannot find their money, changing everything. Woman in front had 8 items which came to €11 plus. She coppered up and did not have enough cash to pay so had to decide which one to return.

Paid my bill, asked in €’s and when back at Hotel it was in £’s.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Er.....No.
If the person organising the photo is daft enough to not ask for numbers before ordering then they deserve to have to foot the bill when some dont want one....
Why should I, or AJ in this case, be out of pocket just to stop offence being taken by not wanting a picture....?
It may only be a couple of quid but that's not the point

If was £20 maybe

It's £2.50

Bearly a cup of tea in the bar afters as everyone bans on about