Random Irritations

RichA

Visit site
First thing I did on both the 3 and the 8 was to get the run flats replaced. Terrible invention. I now have two cans of tyre weld in both cars.

Run flat cost for the 8er was £360. Non run flat equivalent £210, can of tyre weld £15… no brainer.

If the run flat has been driven on whilst flat then they can’t repair it. The inside of the tyre breaks up as you drive and you get loads of little rubber ‘beads’ inside. The tyre is now compromised.

If you noticed it but didn’t drive on it and took the wheel to the repairer then they might (just maybe) repair it if there are none of the rubber beads rattling about inside.
Yep. Tyre dude said exactly that. Ditch the runflats for conventional tyres as they wear out and keep some tyre goo in the boot. Save ~£100 per tyre.
My inflator has a replaceable goo cartridge built into it - I've just never been in the situation to use it with the runflats.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First thing I did on both the 3 and the 8 was to get the run flats replaced. Terrible invention. I now have two cans of tyre weld in both cars.

Run flat cost for the 8er was £360. Non run flat equivalent £210, can of tyre weld £15… no brainer.

If the run flat has been driven on whilst flat then they can’t repair it. The inside of the tyre breaks up as you drive and you get loads of little rubber ‘beads’ inside. The tyre is now compromised.

If you noticed it but didn’t drive on it and took the wheel to the repairer then they might (just maybe) repair it if there are none of the rubber beads rattling about inside.
just make sure the tyre weld is a water based one.

The latex based ones make the tyres unrepairable as the tyre fitter cannot get it off

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
BMW and tyres. Again.
Low pressure warning this morning and a screw embedded in one of the tyres. It's a 5-Series, so there are thousands of them on the road but nobody ever has the tyres in stock.
And it's the weekend.
And I'm 130 miles from home.
Seriously considering ditching this brilliant car just because of the constant drama with tyres and getting a Focus with a spare wheel.

Is there not a spare wheel well in the boot?
My sister has a spareless car, not a BMW, but there's a wheel well in the boot that would comfortably take a space saver.

RichA

Visit site
Is there not a spare wheel well in the boot?
My sister has a spareless car, not a BMW, but there's a wheel well in the boot that would comfortably take a space saver.
No. It's xDrive so the AWD diff gubbins takes up the space that would have been there in a normal car. Losing the runflats and using a can of muck if necessary seems the most sensible solution.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stupid stupid weather. For the last few days the weather here has been poor up till about 7/8pm them the clouds disappear and it's blue sky's galore. Whats that about????

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being done by Mr Tyre as I type. Although no guarantee as run flats aren't supposed to be repaired, apparently. The first 3 places I phoned didn't have stock and refused to even try to repair.
I think ditching run flats in favour of conventional tyres and relying on puncture repair inflation juice stuff might be the way forward for me with this car.
Or ...stop driving over nails?. 😁

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People that go shopping together and push their trollies side by side, slowly up the middle of the aisle so that no one can get past. Parents that let their kids push the trolley in a busy supermarket. People that leave their trolley in front of the shelves and wander off so that you aren't able to get to whatever it is that you want which is always behind an unattended trolley. People that seem unable to grasp the fact that you are going to be asked to pay for your shopping once it's been scanned. This is usually females who appear to be surprised that they person on the check out has given them the total to pay and then start rummaging through a handbag bigger than the bag I take offshore for a 4 week trip to try to find their purse. Supermarkets that move produce around so it's not in the same place as it was last week. Why have the mushrooms moved to a different aisle? What was wrong with the aisle they were in before?

You may be able to tell from the above my weekly shop did not go well today. I don't think I've muttered "For ***** sake" under my breath so many times as I did today.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You may be able to tell from the above my weekly shop did not go well today. I don't think I've muttered "For ***** sake" under my breath so many times as I did today.
I used to have the same frustration until I discovered home delivery.
Asda, which is cheaper for most things, and delivery can be as low as £1.50
I haven't been to a supermarket in months, but when I did go , I would go midweek at 06.15

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to have the same frustration until I discovered home delivery.
Asda, which is cheaper for most things, and delivery can be as low as £1.50
I haven't been to a supermarket in months, but when I did go , I would go midweek at 06.15
Hope you don’t moan when you get dodgy substitutions 🤪

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
People that go shopping together and push their trollies side by side, slowly up the middle of the aisle so that no one can get past. Parents that let their kids push the trolley in a busy supermarket. People that leave their trolley in front of the shelves and wander off so that you aren't able to get to whatever it is that you want which is always behind an unattended trolley. People that seem unable to grasp the fact that you are going to be asked to pay for your shopping once it's been scanned. This is usually females who appear to be surprised that they person on the check out has given them the total to pay and then start rummaging through a handbag bigger than the bag I take offshore for a 4 week trip to try to find their purse. Supermarkets that move produce around so it's not in the same place as it was last week. Why have the mushrooms moved to a different aisle? What was wrong with the aisle they were in before?

Ooh, I love these people because they give me the opportunity to move their trolly and then see the look on their face when their trolly has magically disappeared ................................. usually just round a corner!

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ooh, I love these people because they give me the opportunity to move their trolly and then see the look on their face when their trolly has magically disappeared ................................. usually just round a corner!
I bet you might be one of those jokers who put a few extra items in their trolley when they're not looking.:sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I bet you might be one of those jokers who put a few extra items in their trolley when they're not looking.:sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Some people *cough* might actually takes some things out of their trolley… :ROFLMAO:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hope you don’t moan when you get dodgy substitutions 🤪
Not really.
When I do get a substitute, which is very rare, if I don't want it I send it back.
I certainly don't moan about shopping from the comfort of my arm chair, rather than wasting 2 hours going shopping.
And I definitely do not go anywhere near a supermarket on a Saturday.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just went to go down the stairs and my knee is agony. Can only think I twisted it or it is a hang over from when my son sat on it…