Random Irritations

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I've got a Mazda 3 with an engine warning light on. A mechanic told me it's rubbish. Nowt wrong with engine, ignore it. It only comes on in cold weather, so that's 8 months of the year. When it comes to MOT time I drive around warm the engine, then go to test place. Use a gadget to knock it off and car passes. Simples
We had that with a VW Passat. Fault with the fault system. Unfortunately, there appeared to be no fault system to check for faults in the fault system.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the way to golf this morning, approaching traffic lights. Left lane is a filter lane. 50 yds further on there's another set of lights which always turn red seconds after first set.
Anyway, first lights to amber so I stopped, at which point a Rangerover behind undertakes me in to filter lane, cuts across me, through red lights, and then through 2nd set on red, which had been on red for about 4-5 seconds!
At times like this I wish I had a Dashcam fitted!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the way to golf this morning, approaching traffic lights. Left lane is a filter lane. 50 yds further on there's another set of lights which always turn red seconds after first set.
Anyway, first lights to amber so I stopped, at which point a Rangerover behind undertakes me in to filter lane, cuts across me, through red lights, and then through 2nd set on red, which had been on red for about 4-5 seconds!
At times like this I wish I had a Dashcam fitted!
Probably Katie Price in need of a drink..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got a Mazda 3 with an engine warning light on. A mechanic told me it's rubbish. Nowt wrong with engine, ignore it. It only comes on in cold weather, so that's 8 months of the year. When it comes to MOT time I drive around warm the engine, then go to test place. Use a gadget to knock it off and car passes. Simples
That would be fine except when it goes into limp mode. Power reduces and then eventually goes to crawling pace. Not fun.

Stupid thing is, the electronics are supposed to identify the fault. Last time it was plugged in there were 30 fault codes. Like a dodgy golf swing, fix the correct issue, the others disappear. It's identifying the correct one that seems to be the tricky part. As with your car though, it drives perfectly inbetween 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would be fine except when it goes into limp mode. Power reduces and then eventually goes to crawling pace. Not fun.

Stupid thing is, the electronics are supposed to identify the fault. Last time it was plugged in there were 30 fault codes. Like a dodgy golf swing, fix the correct issue, the others disappear. It's identifying the correct one that seems to be the tricky part. As with your car though, it drives perfectly inbetween 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sticky turbo as it recycles the exhaust gas?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

This might be a long shot.
Mate of mine who's wife's car had a similar problem. Fiat 500.
Garage replaced sensor 3 times.
Getting frustrated at this he phoned manufacturers office and explained the problem.
They simply said, "Did they replace BOTH sensors"?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry, Mudball, but tonight I'm only reading in English. ;)
Haven't a bloody clue what your post means.
Sorry.. there was seemingly a bug on the forum which was causing it crash with a ‘Aw Snap’ error .. for me it was happening on the random irritation thread
After I updated my Chrome, I came back to do a test post and check if it was reoccurring. Seems to have fixed the issue.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry.. there was seemingly a bug on the forum which was causing it crash with a ‘Aw Snap’ error .. for me it was happening on the random irritation thread
After I updated my Chrome, I came back to do a test post and check if it was reoccurring. Seems to have fixed the issue.

Aw Snap, sounds like a Snoop Dogg saying 🤣

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What engine is it? The reason I ask is I had a Mazda with the 2.0 Diesel engine and there is an inherent design fault with this engine. The inlet manifold 'cokes up' and causes the engine management warning light to come on and the car to suffer loss of power, it's a fairly major job to de-coke. Mine went twice, the second time it took out the turbo!
I remember a similar issue with the Carbon Particulate Filter in my diesel and read about the Italian Tune-Up which basically involves revving the engine to clear the blockage. Lots of videos about it on YouTube.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I refer you to my earlier post about my old Triumph Herald. Cars these days are just too damned complicated!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, just sucks the fun out of it, doesn't it? ;)
Cars haven't been fun since they replaced distributers with coil packs and Vauxhall withdrew the C20LET engine.

Second best fun I have had as a mechanic was taking an old MOT failed 1.0 Corsa (and I mean FAIL... never seen a failure list run to 4 pages before) and stripping it to a shell and rebuilding it with bigger brakes and a C20LET in place of the 1.0 block. Thing was a flying machine when we were done.
(Best fun was taking my old 1.8 Astra and dropping a re-bored 3.0 V6 from a Vectra in it with a 6 speed box and a billet flywheel that let it rev like a V-Tec :D