Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
@Blue in Munich ?? it's the day after, I can't quite remember it perfectly but I'm pretty sure that's it. Thank you, phew. I can sleep properly tonight.
Just to make sure I understand.
The track you couldn't put a name to was Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who, yes?
Time to hand in your music lovers badge, I'm afraid.
I mean, that's one of those songs which is instantly recognisable from the very first chord.

D

Deleted member 15344

People being offended by booing a national anthem but seemingly ok with fans chanting vile chants about a football disaster

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Good shout but I've gone through a few YouTube clips of their big songs but it isn't them.

This may be useless but worth a try.

It starts with what sounds like an electric keyboard quickly playing 2 alternate notes. It could be guitar but the more I think the more I think it's keyboards. Those two alternating notes keep being played. (It's got a Lake Shore Drive keyboard vibe to the sound)

After a while there is a big guitar play, I'm not musical so bear with me. The sort of chord where someone dramatically brings down their right hand to play all the strings in a dramatic fashion. Dum, dum, dum, gap, dum, dum, dum, the keyboard keeps playing, then the guitar comes in again to do the same.

You expect vocals to come in but it repeats for a while.

If I knew the first line it would be easy but I just can't get it, it's just beyond my reach ?. I'm pretty sure it's 70's, 80's at most

Anyone?

It’s not The Who Baba O’reily is it?

**** looks like someone got it I’m just on an old browser tab ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to make sure I understand.
The track you couldn't put a name to was Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who, yes?
Time to hand in your music lovers badge, I'm afraid.
I mean, that's one of those songs which is instantly recognisable from the very first chord.
To be fair, I fessed up to my musical ignorance early doors ?. I did recognise the classic nature of the song straight away, it was in the memory banks somewhere, but without hearing the first line of the vocal I just couldn't get it ??‍♂️.

70's music is a real weakness for me, it just isn't my era I'm afraid. Now, if it had been an intro to an 80's song.............?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good shout but I've gone through a few YouTube clips of their big songs but it isn't them.

This may be useless but worth a try.

It starts with what sounds like an electric keyboard quickly playing 2 alternate notes. It could be guitar but the more I think the more I think it's keyboards. Those two alternating notes keep being played. (It's got a Lake Shore Drive keyboard vibe to the sound)

After a while there is a big guitar play, I'm not musical so bear with me. The sort of chord where someone dramatically brings down their right hand to play all the strings in a dramatic fashion. Dum, dum, dum, gap, dum, dum, dum, the keyboard keeps playing, then the guitar comes in again to do the same.

If I knew the first line it would be easy but I just can't get it, it's just beyond my reach ?. I'm pretty sure it's 70's, 80's at most

Anyone?
I haven't read the intervening pages but sounds like The Who, Baba O'Reily to me.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair, I fessed up to my musical ignorance early doors ?. I did recognise the classic nature of the song straight away, it was in the memory banks somewhere, but without hearing the first line of the vocal I just couldn't get it ??‍♂️.

70's music is a real weakness for me, it just isn't my era I'm afraid. Now, if it had been an intro to an 80's song.............?
I hope you realised I was just pulling your leg.

If 80s stuff is your thing, I guess you're perhaps 10/15 years younger than me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I haven't read the intervening pages but sounds like The Who, Baba O'Reily to me.
I thought it was a different Who song, courtesy of @Blue in Munich , but now I think it was this one o_O. My head hurts. Anyway, 2 brilliant intros, thank you.

@ExRabbit , so similar to the other suggestion. Who came first, The Who or Camel ?. They either went to the same parties or one influenced the other, intro wise.

@cliveb , yes, I took it how it was intended (y). We listen to pop master, R2 quiz on the Ken Bruce show, and the 70's are my weak spot. If the answer isn't Rod Stewart, The Sweet or Thin Lizzy then I'm in trouble ?. I'm 52, very much a child of the 80's.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Who came first, The Who or Camel ?. They either went to the same parties or one influenced the other, intro wise.
The Who have been around since at least 1964 - that's when I Can't Explain was released.
Camel's first album was released in 1973.
@cliveb , yes, I took it how it was intended (y). I'm 52, very much a child of the 80's.
Ah right, a whippersnapper. I'm 65 and have an older brother so my musical childhood is late 60s & early 70s.
I find most 80s music rather formulaic. There are some notable exceptions (off the top of my head: Tears For Fears, Eurythmics, Talk Talk, and of course Her Majesty Kath Bush).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I thought it was a different Who song, courtesy of @Blue in Munich , but now I think it was this one o_O. My head hurts. Anyway, 2 brilliant intros, thank you.

@ExRabbit , so similar to the other suggestion. Who came first, The Who or Camel ?. They either went to the same parties or one influenced the other, intro wise.

@cliveb , yes, I took it how it was intended (y). We listen to pop master, R2 quiz on the Ken Bruce show, and the 70's are my weak spot. If the answer isn't Rod Stewart, The Sweet or Thin Lizzy then I'm in trouble ?. I'm 52, very much a child of the 80's.

Baba O'Riley was the song I checked first against the description; the thing that made me think it wasn't Baba O'Riley was that on Baba O'Riley, the dramatic guitar chords are played on a piano, there's no mention of Keith Moon's arrival on the drums immediately after the "guitar" chords and before the vocals start, and the guitar doesn't start until after the vocals. Other that that, it matches the description perfectly... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Baba O'Riley was the song I checked first against the description; the thing that made me think it wasn't Baba O'Riley was that on Baba O'Riley, the dramatic guitar chords are played on a piano, there's no mention of Keith Moon's arrival on the drums immediately after the "guitar" chords and before the vocals start, and the guitar doesn't start until after the vocals. Other that that, it matches the description perfectly... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It's 2 days since I heard it originally so the reality is it could be either ??‍♂️. The length of the intro makes me think it is Baba o'Riley but the points you make suggest it is the other song. The sound is very similar and my musical ear, or lack of, can't split them now.

I'm happy though, it's one or the other so that will do for me ?.

I'm still impressed by the accuracy of the suggestions. Even the ones that were not The Who had the sound of the intro. From my description, that's remarkable ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It's 2 days since I heard it originally so the reality is it could be either ??‍♂️. The length of the intro makes me think it is Baba o'Riley but the points you make suggest it is the other song. The sound is very similar and my musical ear, or lack of, can't split them now.

I'm happy though, it's one or the other so that will do for me ?.

I'm still impressed by the accuracy of the suggestions. Even the ones that were not The Who had the sound of the intro. From my description, that's remarkable ?

In fairness I'm a Who fan and your description had me checking both, went with the choice I did as I thought you'd remember the instruments better than the spacings. (y)

Last edited: