Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 16999

Next years Christmas panto.

Lady of no Colour and the Seven Mini Gems.

When will it all end.
That’s the issue to me, if when Midget Gems were first produced in 1905 (I believe) they used the word Midget as an insult or slight to Dwarfs and actual Midgets then good luck to her, but as you say, were does it stop?
No chance of your panto though it’ll have to be a “A Gender Fluid Individual and the Seven Individuals who are Below Average Height”;)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally agree the World has gone mad.
This is completely true, M+S agreed to the change 10 months, but the “new” rebranded packets have only just hit the stores. The woman behind it Dr Erin Pritchard a University Lecturer(who suffers with Dwarfism) raised the point with many stores during Dwarfism Awareness Month, Tesco’s are expected to rename there’s as well.
I can fully understand and support that people with dwarfism should object to being called a midget. It shouldn't happen.

The problem is that the word "midget" is an adjective as well as a noun. And when used as an adjective, it simply means that the thing it describes is smaller than usual. There is no detrimental connotation. It seems to me that in the context of midget gems, it's being used in its adjectival form, simply meaning that the sweets are small.

Does she really want to eliminate the word midget from the language? You can't expunge a perfectly useful and innocuous word from the dictionary because it can in some circumstances be used as an insult.

Here's another example. People who carry a bit of extra weight might object to being referred to by the noun "fatty". Does this mean we're not allowed to talk about fatty acids?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I can fully understand and support that people with dwarfism should object to being called a midget. It shouldn't happen.

The problem is that the word "midget" is an adjective as well as a noun. And when used as an adjective, it simply means that the thing it describes is smaller than usual. There is no detrimental connotation. It seems to me that in the context of midget gems, it's being used in its adjectival form, simply meaning that the sweets are small.

Does she really want to eliminate the word midget from the language? You can't expunge a perfectly useful and innocuous word from the dictionary because it can in some circumstances be used as an insult.

Here's another example. People who carry a bit of extra weight might object to being referred to by the noun "fatty". Does this mean we're not allowed to talk about fatty acids?
It's not the same though is it. And who uses it in conversation anyway

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If not I have signed up to an app called bright

My smet 2 it sends the data to bright for me to see

They support smet 1 not sure how it works but might be worth looking into

Found it but no instructions. The electric reading matches but can't work out the gas. Off to look online for the instructions.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
The amount of adverts on YouTube. It's getting beyond a joke now - anyone would think they are trying to promote their subscription no-ads service.

You need adlock! Download off whatever AppStore.
Don’t use the app but the website and you will get no adverts.
Before I go to sleep I’ve always put on a documentary to drift off till they introduced adds on every video whether the uploader wanted them or not.

sunshine

Visit site
Next years Christmas panto.

Lady of no Colour and the Seven Mini Gems.

When will it all end.

Lady is not an appropriate term. Maybe cis-gender female is better.
Greta is probably campaigning to drop the word snow due to global warming.
At least one of the mini gems identifies as a dwarf.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
M and S renaming midget gems to mini gems as calling them midget gems is a hate crime against little people! World has gone truly mad
That sort of clashes with the efforts of Little People of America to eliminate the word 'midget' wrt anyone with dwarfism!
Though 'Mini Gems' seems a better name anyway. Possibly decided to avoid any clash with 'Mini Skirt' or 'Mini' car were they in vogue.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You need adlock! Download off whatever AppStore.
Don’t use the app but the website and you will get no adverts.
Before I go to sleep I’ve always put on a documentary to drift off till they introduced adds on every video whether the uploader wanted them or not.
Adblock?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is all over all the usual media outlets, complete with quotes from the campaigner who pressed for the change so I suspect it is true - unfortunately
Ok - fine, accepted. (Wasnt doubting that the name changed, nor the underlying rationale. Just doubted the bit about it being a hate crime - but which turns out to be (apparently) one person's (the campaigner's) opinion that it ought to be regarded as such?)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So does this mean MG will have to produce a new name badge for their old cars so as to not offend the person of a less than average height?
MG Mini doesn't really have the same sound;)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That sort of clashes with the efforts of Little People of America to eliminate the word 'midget' wrt anyone with dwarfism!
Though 'Mini Gems' seems a better name anyway. Possibly decided to avoid any clash with 'Mini Skirt' or 'Mini' car were they in vogue.
Not sure there were many mini skirts or cars around in the early 1900s when the sweets were invented ?

RichA

Visit site
The met police.

Not you guys who work tirelessly to protect the public.

The senior officials. Cowards.
Tricky one for them though. Plenty of rumour, innuendo and anonymous calls to journos, but probably minimal actual evidence of offences - which are in the same penalty bracket as driving in a bus lane or dropping a fag butt.
If the irresponsible but criminally minor activities have the potential to bring down a democratically elected government, they're probably hoping that Sue Gray does the job, rather than them.